MOTU M4 - Control Panel disappears from system tray

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
rasape
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU M4 - Control Panel disappears from system tray

Post by rasape »

Hi,
In the last month I have a problem with my motu m4 software-drivers.
Each a little, it can be two times a day, control panel disappeared from the system tray. I see that there is in path c:\program files (x86)\motu\ coreuac\MOTUMSeries.exe, but it does not run any more with double -click, and I have to install the driver again.
I have to solve this issue, thinking seriously about replacing my interface...

Windows 11 23H2 all latest updates, free of viruses checked with Defender and Avast Premium Security.

Thanks in advance
CharlzS

Re: MOTU M4 - Control Panel disappears from system tray

Post by CharlzS »

Some things to consider:

Check in the Device Manager that power management is DISABLED for the USB ports. That sometimes gets reset with major Win updates (23H2). Also in the Device Manager - View --> Show Hidden Devices. Look in Sound, Video and Game controllers and remove (right-click) any greyed out MOTU M4 devices WITHOUT removing the drivers.

I've seen stuff disappear from the system tray when the Explorer crashes and restarts - check the event logs for any indication of a crash. Sometimes it's not apparent that the Explorer has crashed.

Show the M4 control panel and leave it up on the display to see if an active panel disappears too,
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
rasape

Post by rasape »

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, in Device Manager - power management it was not DISABLED for the USB ports, I fixed it.
In Sound, Video and Game controllers I have a MOTU M Series, with right click I have the options: Update driver, Disable driver, Uninstall driver, scan for hardware changes, properties.

The issue is not that it simply disappears from the system tray, if it was only that, e.g. by crashing Explorer it would appear on the next restart.
The file (c:\program files (x86)\motu\ coreuac\MOTUMSeries.exe) doesn't run anymore even manually, I have to reinstall the driver.
I'll see how it goes after the fix I made in Device Manager.

Thanks again.
rasape

Post by rasape »

No, not again! This morning I opened the computer and the control panel had disappeared from the system tray. I went to run it manually and as expected it didn't run.
Tried older drivers, same thing happens....
I forgot to mention that when I install avast to check for threats, I don't have it permanently installed, avast recognizes MOTUMSeries as a threat, I give it an exception to not remove it.

Honestly, I'm tired of all this and I don't know what to do....
rasape

Post by rasape »

CONTINUITY

Today when I opened the computer and the control panel was not there, I explored for a bit the installed contents of the motu. After running MOTUMSeries.exe without success, I found a file here: C:\Program Files (x86)\MOTU\CoreUAC\Service\MOTUCoreUACAudioPolicyMediator I ran it and got the message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application."

I completely uninstalled the driver, reinstalled, rebooted and the control panel it did not exist.
Tried running MOTUMSeries.exe with no success.
I ran MOTUCoreUACAudioPolicyMediator, it ran, I ran MOTUMSeries.exe again, it ran, and the control panel appeared in the system tray.

I'm writing all this in case someone had the same problem and solved it...
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

rasape wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:34 am CONTINUITY

Today when I opened the computer and the control panel was not there, I explored for a bit the installed contents of the motu. After running MOTUMSeries.exe without success, I found a file here: C:\Program Files (x86)\MOTU\CoreUAC\Service\MOTUCoreUACAudioPolicyMediator I ran it and got the message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application."

I completely uninstalled the driver, reinstalled, rebooted and the control panel it did not exist.
Tried running MOTUMSeries.exe with no success.
I ran MOTUCoreUACAudioPolicyMediator, it ran, I ran MOTUMSeries.exe again, it ran, and the control panel appeared in the system tray.

I'm writing all this in case someone had the same problem and solved it...
Did you ever check the logs for crashes? right-click Windows Start --> Event Viewer --> Custom Views, select Administrative Events, wait for it to populate then ctrl-F, type MOTU and enter. Any results?

MOTUCoreUACAudioPolicyMediator is a system service and you can check to see if it's running in the Task Manager --> Services. MOTUMSeries.exe is the MOTU control panel itself and should be an enabled entry in Task Mangaer - Startup Apps. You should not have to manually run either of these. It appears that something lower level is happening.

A couple of other power management items to try - in Power Options disable Fast Startup and don't use Hibernate.

If you have Core Isolation on, try turning it off.

If this was a common problem you'd see it not only here, but in any M series search. May be time to start a support ticket with MOTU if problem persists.
rasape

Post by rasape »

Hi,
I have made all the adjustments suggested by motu.
Fast Startup is off, I don't use Hibernate.
I turned off Core isolation.
Event Viewer, I found some errors:

The MOTUCoreUACAudioPolicyMediator service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

Faulting application name: MOTUMSeries.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x636ea280
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22621.2428, time stamp: 0xb5ff7dfe
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x001490e2
Faulting process id: 0x0x11AC
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA32815DC3B6DB
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\MOTU\CoreUAC\MOTUMSeries.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 9ca52cb2-4645-40d9-b102-38bff34fd59d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

I saw your thread in another forum re your suspected virus issues, etc. If you're getting memory errors and suspect virus activity you really have try system level fixes.
Faulting application name: MOTUMSeries.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x636ea280
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22621.2428, time stamp: 0xb5ff7dfe
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x001490e2
You are getting a crash so this would be good information if you open a ticket with MOTU.

You can run SFC and DISM tools to try to repair what's there. Depending on Windows version, there is also a recovery option "Fix problems using Windows Update'. Settings --> System --> Recovery. This will reinstall Windows using a clean image while preserving files, apps and settings. If nothing works, then a clean install should be considered.

OTT, got nothing else. I don't think this is a MOTU issue, IMHO it's a system issue.

PS - Leave Defender on.
rasape

Post by rasape »

Hi,
I ran SFC yesterday, no errors found.
I ran DISM and got this:

The module "KERNELBASE.dll" was loaded but the entry-point
DllRegisterServer was not found.

Make sure that "KERNELBASE.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and
then try again.

Of course, it's a system error, I've had motu for three years and I've never had this kind of problem.