Use Motu as a digital dac for HTPC

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
Tobbeswim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Use Motu as a digital dac for HTPC

Post by Tobbeswim »

I am looking for a way to use Motu 24 ai/ao as part of a Home theater set up to be able to decode Atmos direct from my Home Theater PC to my amps. Anyone out there that has a solution or have tried this? I use JRiver to play my movies and on the picture side I have a perfect setup with MadVR to my JVC projector. The only problem is the sound. I would like to use the computer direct to the dac and then to the amps. I know there is commercial products out there but only Trinnov can handle 24-32 channels of output.
HCMarkus

Re: Use Motu as a digital dac for HTPC

Post by HCMarkus »

This isn't my field, but it would seem you just need your computer to publish its outputs to the USB-connected 24ao, then do the analog wiring to your amps.

Sounds like it may be simple;
Under the drop-down menu, MC20 automatically selects the Output Mode that it determines should be best for each detected audio device. In most cases, you should just need to select your audio device from the menu.
Good luck!
Tobbeswim

Post by Tobbeswim »

Thanks for the input. It is harder than this as you somehow need to extract the atmos channels. It is a big thing in the HTPC world to solve this and I was thinking that someone in here knows how to do the extraction of the Atmos.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Have you looked into the Dolby Atmos Renderer?

https://professional.dolby.com/content- ... creators/3

It looks like it may output Dante and MADI only, and may be Mac-only, but you may want to reach out to Dolby for their input.