Native Instruments is threatening to switch to subscriptions

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Native Instruments is threatening to switch to subscriptions

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:54 pm
bayswater wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:58 amBut how much of this is financial? How much of it is emotional?
Treading lightly here as not to inadvertently stumble into politics

one of the generations that wants to OWN things... not rent them.
I’m of that generation too but yes, we should avoid that path.

It’s interesting to read the EULAs. They usually say what you have is permission to use the software in perpetuity, not that you own it. Many of them quite clearly state that they retain ownership. It’s like a “right of way”. They own it but you can use it as long as you behave yourself. You can’t do any things an owner would normally do.

Permission to use is normally subject to a list of “defaults”, and some can be quite vague. In the case of Waves, it’s reasonably tight, but they can terminate the licence if they judge (on their own) that you present a legal risk to them. Not likely they would exercise this in any but the most extreme cases, but that’s a marketing and legal decision they can make because they own it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:12 pm
James Steele wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:54 pm
bayswater wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:58 amBut how much of this is financial? How much of it is emotional?
Treading lightly here as not to inadvertently stumble into politics

one of the generations that wants to OWN things... not rent them.
I’m of that generation too but yes, we should avoid that path.

It’s interesting to read the EULAs. They usually say what you have is permission to use the software in perpetuity, not that you own it. Many of them quite clearly state that they retain ownership. It’s like a “right of way”. They own it but you can use it as long as you behave yourself. You can’t do any things an owner would normally do.

Permission to use is normally subject to a list of “defaults”, and some can be quite vague. In the case of Waves, it’s reasonably tight, but they can terminate the licence if they judge (on their own) that you present a legal risk to them. Not likely they would exercise this in any but the most extreme cases, but that’s a marketing and legal decision they can make because they own it.
As an owner, one has certain rights. As a User/Licensee, these rights do not exist.

Without violating any NDAs, one company I worked for settled a suit for 6 figures because another had acquired a subsidiary that hadn't paid me a 4 figure maintenance fee and didn't let the new owner know before the app was distributed to a few million people without a license from us.

I was also on one of the juries in the Intel vs AMD suit over the 8086, 80286 & 80386 microcode. AMD was the 2nd source (required in most military and government contracts) and had the right to make those chips under license—that was never in dispute. However, the 12 page license was worded in plain English that they didn't owe Intel a dime for the chips they made—even worse, AMD would never owe royalties on those, no matter when they were made.

The 80486 Pentium was delayed till the day after that license expired—otherwise, the i486 would have been royalty-free, also—it was that poorly written. How many lawyers did it take to screw that up? I never knew but the 1996 license closed that barn door. AMD is still Intel's most important 2nd Source but they pay royalties now.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Good point about "ownership" versus a "perpetual license." I was speaking in lazy shorthand. But the gist was that the urge to have a sense of "ownership" is more prevalent in older generations. Younger generations have been somewhat conditioned to subscription services and subscription software. Maybe this is the proverbial "boiling the frog" by increasing the temperature gradually. In a generation or two (maybe less) perpetual software licenses may be an oddity. I imagine if the software companies could have their way, we'd be there today but there's still too much resistance as well as competition.

Back to the subject at hand: if NI were to switch to a completely subscription model, I'd use the last version of Kontakt till I couldn't anymore. It wouldn't be a big deal to me, but imagine all the users with massive sample libraries that require Kontakt and one day Kontakt is only available by subscription? Eventually old Kontakt breaks with an OS update and NI has you.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:09 pm Back to the subject at hand: if NI were to switch to a completely subscription model, I'd use the last version of Kontakt till I couldn't anymore.
It’s not an automatic decision for me. I’d look a the cost and decide on that basis. But I’m sure I’d be dealing with far few companies. In my case NI is not likely to be one of them.

Another consideration for these companies has to be support costs. Those with a one time fee and the “no-brainer” sales must have a lot of customers who create a lot of support costs. A A subscription model is likely to drive away the customer segment of occasional and casual and less knowledgable users. Having a much small number of customers who each pay more and cost less is good for them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

With Kontakt, I've paid for updates every few years (waiting for sales), so it's "quasi-perpetual". I also end up buying other little NI things, libraries, etc. So they get pretty regular cash from me.

If they are able to come up with plans that feel fair, I might consider it, but my definition of fair probably won't impress them.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Does this subscription threat fall under the category: "The Native Instruments are Getting Restless"?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Mark, I think in reality it falls under the famous prophetic utterance of an organisation that shall remain "unnamed" here.

From 2016:
"You'll own nothing and be happy."

Sure looks like things are heading that way and big companies are pushing hard.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Maybe there'll end up being a "spotify" type model for software. You pay a monthly fee and developers get X cents every time you launch their software, and Y cents for every minute you use it.

Then there'll be a bunch of horrible viruses on there that extract cents like in Office Space.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:25 pm Does this subscription threat fall under the category: "The Native Instruments are Getting Restless"?
:rofl:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro