Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Mantronics
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11

Post by Mantronics »

Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes immediately my DP 11 either in AU or VST mode.
When I say Crashes means that DP disappear without any message.
Some of you had or have the same problem?
db4663
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11

Post by db4663 »

I experienced the same problem with GA5 in DP 11. Contacted Steinberg and sent some crash logs per their request and never heard from them again.

One day it struck me to try VEP7 as a host after it was upgraded for Silicon Macs and that solution has been stable ever since. FWIW, I also found VEP was a good way to get Mach Five 3 to work again too on my M2 Mac mini.

Hope this helps.
RayMasse

Post by RayMasse »

Hi! +1 here!
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Same here. I have an open support ticket at Steinberg related to GA crashing DP.

Padshop has been working ok for me though, very limited testing. How did you get it to crash?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
Mantronics

Post by Mantronics »

It simply close my DP without any warning :(
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I have the same issue with another Steinberg product, HALion 7 and HALion Sonic 7. Instant crashing upon load attempts. I’ve sent them crash logs- it’s been days with no response. I’ll ping them again today.

Curiously, as a test I tried loading said plugs into Logic and they load and operate just fine. Go figure-

Maybe DP 11.31 will fix this- fingers crossed/

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
db4663

Post by db4663 »

I was optimistic about DP 11.31 fixing the problem with Groove Agent. Alas, it was not to be so. Immediate crash…

Back to VEP7 to make it work with DP.

DB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I have to look on this but pretty sure I can get Padshop working in DP 11.31. I will have to check as I sometimes use in as a VST3 inside of Komplete Kontrol.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I recently bought a library for HALion but couldn’t get the player to work with DP so they gave me a refund.

All the Steinberg plugs are crashing in DP—hope they figure this out!

Greg

DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

greg328 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:40 pm I recently bought a library for HALion but couldn’t get the player to work with DP so they gave me a refund.

All the Steinberg plugs are crashing in DP—hope they figure this out!

Greg

Similar experience here. I’ve tried the odd Steinberg plugin and VI and haven’t been able to get them to work easily. From the replies I’ve had from both Steinberg and MOTU support, it seems like they both know the situation and haven’t been able or willing to deal with it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Not good. Oddly, HALion works just fine in Logic so it’s a DP-specific thing.
Greg

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

greg328 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:33 am Not good. Oddly, HALion works just fine in Logic so it’s a DP-specific thing.
Greg

Yes, again, that’s what I noticed. Too bad — a working Halion would be a nice addition to the VI collection.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

What version of Padshop are you using? I just now instantiated and ran the AU version Padshop 2.2.0 in DP 11.31 under Sonoma 14.4. I was able to change presets and play it no problem.

Also just now I loaded and was able to play various instruments and presets with AU version of Halion 7.0.20 as well.

I just now tried to load Groove Agent and DP did in fact crash. That was with Groove Agent 5.1.20, however I noticed that Steinberg has a version 5.2 out that is newer and am downloading now. Standby!

Okay... just downloaded and installed the AU of Groove Agent 5.2 (this is full version, not the SE version) and it too loads up and works.

So basically all of the plugins you say crash DP 11 for you do not crash on mine. Maybe it's because you're using the SE versions? I got a deal on a bundle that had a whole bunch of Steinberg instruments. Can't remember what it was called now. Something with the word "six" in it? But again, the version numbers I mentioned are all working here for me.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

greg328 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:33 am Not good. Oddly, HALion works just fine in Logic so it’s a DP-specific thing.
See my latest post. I just ran Halion 7.0.20 in DP 11.31 on Sonoma with no problem. I'll post a YouTube movie for anyone who needs proof. :D

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

db4663 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:15 pm I was optimistic about DP 11.31 fixing the problem with Groove Agent. Alas, it was not to be so. Immediate crash…

Back to VEP7 to make it work with DP.
Are you using Groove Agent 5.2 that was released January 11, 2024 that is available here:
https://o.steinberg.net/index.php?id=14655&L=1

That is the version I just installed tonight and it worked fine for me in DP 11.31 on Sonoma. Before that I had version 5.1.20 which DID crash DP, but 5.2 seems to be working.

Also I am using the full version and not the SE version. All the latest, full versions of Halion, Padshop and Groove Agent are working for me.