MIDI Editor Options

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Editor Options

Post by bayswater »

Looking around to see what's new in DP I came across MIDI Editor Options below. I know it's been there for a long time, but I never paid any attention to it and don't know where I've had it set.

At the top this preference pain you can select to:

- Open one editor for each track.
- Open one MIDI Editor for each sequence.

The question: what's the difference? I only get one editor in either case, and it can edit any note in any track. The track selector chooses which tracks appear in the editor in both cases, and the editor behaves the same way regardless of this setting.

I don't see what this preference does. What am I missing?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
monkey man

Re: MIDI Editor Options

Post by monkey man »

I'm still on v8.07 and haven't fired up an audio app in, I'm guessing, 8+ years Brother Stoivo, but...

... could it be that the setting is applicable to when you double-click track data / a track in the TO or Sequence Editor as opposed to using a tab or drop-down menu to open the ME?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:56 pm I'm still on v8.07 and haven't fired up an audio app in, I'm guessing, 8+ years Brother Stoivo, but...

... could it be that the setting is applicable to when you double-click track data / a track in the TO or Sequence Editor as opposed to using a tab or drop-down menu to open the ME?
I tried that and got the same result. I get the one track, but as usual can add other tracks to the editor, highlight one of them, etc. Problem is I don’t know what should be happening, so it’s difficult to know if it works or not.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:31 pm - Open one editor for each track.
I always leave Consolidated Window OFF for everything (I hate it). So perhaps that is why I'm seeing the difference.

With option 1, if I double click on any track name in the TO, it opens in its own window. With option 2, if I double-click on a MIDI track, it opens an editor, but if I click on a 2nd track, that same window just changes which track is selected. (in either case, I can add other track selections in the sidebar.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:41 am
bayswater wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:31 pm - Open one editor for each track.
I always leave Consolidated Window OFF for everything (I hate it). So perhaps that is why I'm seeing the difference.

With option 1, if I double click on any track name in the TO, it opens in its own window. With option 2, if I double-click on a MIDI track, it opens an editor, but if I click on a 2nd track, that same window just changes which track is selected. (in either case, I can add other track selections in the sidebar.
Thanks. That must be it. I always use the CW.

Maybe this is another thing that needs to be updated in the manual. That, and the bit where they still give Bias Peak as an example of an external waveform editor.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That explains why I was "right" from memory; like Stubbsy, I've never used CW's.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I’ll have to try this newfangled Unconsolidated Window thingy.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

:lol:

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:28 pm I’ll have to try this newfangled Unconsolidated Window thingy.
I tried the Unconsolidated Window when it first came out, and I never looked back!!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

It's confusing. I don't see any option for no consolidated window at all. Just a menu of what to include or exclude from it automatically. Everything will still open in the consolidated window even if you tell DP not to include it by default.

As you suggested, not including the MIDI Editor in the list of items for the CW, you do get a separate window when double clicking a second MIDI track. But even then, it does all the same things as the MIDI editor that sits inside the CW. You can still open any MIDI track in these multiple window to the point of having all of them in all the windows. There's even a quirk: you can't move the little pencil in the track selector of the popped out MIDI editor the way you do in the CW version to tell DP which track you are editing. But even so, you can edit any of the tracks in any of the windows and they all update.

So as it turns out, editing multiple MIDI tracks in one MIDI editor window can be easier when you have it set to open a separate editor for each track.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It's been so long since I've enabled any editors for CW. I would need to study a bit to see how it works differently than the tabs in that main window.