Dead Mac Pro

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dead Mac Pro

Post by Rick Cornish »

Could use some advice:

Came up to my studio this morning and my 2013 Mac Pro wouldn't start. I had started a Time Machine backup when I left last night and hadn't touched it since (I am running manual TM backups only, since scheduled backups mess with DP for me).

Tried to press and hold the power button… nothing. Unplugged the power cord and plugged it in again... started right up. So I ran a session and then set it to run the Montery and Safari updates while I went to lunch.

Come back from lunch… dead again. Unpluged power and plugged back in… nothing. Unplugged and left for 10 min… still nothing. Unplugged everything from the back of it and just plugged in my USB keyboard and display port monitor (and plugged the power cord into a different outlet). Still nothing. The little lights on the back panel that outline the USB and TB jacks light up, which tells me it's getting juice.

If I can't get it to boot, I can't even get into Recovery mode to try to run Disk Utility. I'm on hold with Apple Support now. My nearest Apple Store is a 5 hour drive from where I live. :banghead:

Anyone have a suggestion on how I could bring this back to life? (Defibrillator?)
Last edited by Rick Cornish on Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Re: Dead Mac Pro

Post by HCMarkus »

No advice, just hopeful thoughts for you and your Mac, Rick.

Hope Apple can assist. Good Luck!
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, HCM. I have a repair ticket to send it in ($500 flat rate). Not quite ready to buy a Mac Studio, so I'd just like to get it working again.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You can try an SMC reset by disconnecting the power cord and all peripherals then wait for at least 15 minutes. Reconnect only the power cord and hit the power button. It will fire up or it won't.
Try resetting the NVRAM by pressing the p r Option Command keys then hitting the Power button. If you hear a chime, release the keys and see if it boots. If it does…

Change the NVRAM battery. Although Apple specifies a high-heat BR2032 battery (for good reason), a common CR2032 battery will tell you if that's the problem—electrically, they're identical. If it comes back to life, order the BR2032 on Amazon. I've lost count how many G3 and later Macs I have brought back to life replacing that battery.

It's called the CMOS battery here and it is an involved, convoluted process but it can be done. There are inexpensive toolkits on Amazon that have all the tools you need—no need to buy them piecemeal from iFixIt. If buying the toolkit, pick up the BR2032 while you are at it.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Pro+La ... ment/21216

Changing the battery will also reset SMC since you will have disconnected the power cord and all peripherals in the process.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Thanks, Mike.

I’ve already checked all those boxes:
• replaced the CMOS battery last year
• left it unplugged for 20 min, so the SMC was reset
• Can’t zap the NVRAM if it won’t start up (no chimes)

I also lifted the lid and re-seated all the DIMMs and, curiously, I got a little fan noise when I plugged it in and hit the power button, but nothing else.

I’m one track away from finishing my guitar album, or I would just go ahead and order a Mac Studio, but I don’t want to wrestle with converting to Apple Silicon when I’m this close to the finish line on a project.

Unless someone can offer a magic incantation to wake the dead (where’s Melisandre when you need her?), it’s going to Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Rick Cornish wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:41 pm I’m one track away from finishing my guitar album, or I would just go ahead and order a Mac Studio, but I don’t want to wrestle with converting to Apple Silicon when I’m this close to the finish line on a project.
Just and FYI... I was up and running on a film score two days after receiving my M1 Mac Studio, moving all data and much of my VI sample library from my 5,1 Cheesegrater and reinstalling all apps and plugins from scratch. I closed the score on the 5,1, opened it on the Mac Studio, and was off to the races.. and the track was waaaaay faster..

Just something to consider as you also consider putting $500 towards the aging 6,1. Depending on how many VIs you run (thus how much RAM and storage you'd need), you might even be able to run the project on a base model M1/M2 Mac Mini or MacBook Air.

The Apple Silicon machines are wicked strong.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

HCM……
Thanks for sharing your experience with migrating to Apple Silicon.

I will think more about it. The minimum Mac Studio I would get would be about $3500 all-in (M2 Max, 64gB + 2tB, plus a keyboard). Not sure I wanna drop the extra $3k right now when the 6,1 serves my needs (as long as it starts up, that is).
Rick Cornish

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Sorry Rick: I hate to hear stories like this. My only advice is that the Apple Stores always give the same story. "It's the motherboard, gonna cost you $500." My experience was spotty. I found that if the machine had any BTO (Build to Order) options, the Apple store folks absolutely need to know this. I had a BTO iMac with an i7 processor that the Apple Store replaced with an i5 without giving it a second thought. It took a lot of wrangling with the ever-so-hip management to come to an agreement.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:53 pmThe minimum Mac Studio I would get would be about $3500 all-in (M2 Max, 64gB + 2tB, plus a keyboard). Not sure I wanna drop the extra $3k right now when the 6,1 serves my needs (as long as it starts up, that is).
DO IT!!! DO IT!!!

Hahaha... sorry, man. Don't want to be a bad influence, but maybe after the new year get yourself a Christmas present. Or maybe you want the write off before the year ends?? Once you go Apple Silicon... it's a new world. Although if you're going to put it off... maybe sit tight a bit longer and see if Apple works out M3 issues. I know the M3 Pro is not so good... but other iterations may be worthwhile!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

Maybe try pulling certain dimms out (try half and half) and pulling and re-seating the processor cards (if it has them). I had an upgraded 2010 that had little status lights on the MB, maybe yours has some and that would give you a clue. I'd stay away from Apple and find a repair place or refurbisher who had a bunch of old mac pros lying around (and pull all your drives out if you send it). Good luck!
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Hi Rick; I'll bow out after this, I promise, but just want to offer up a wee bit more info for your consideration:

Cost of Repair gets you a temporary studio machine that will function as your office computer for years to come:

https://www.amazon.com/2020-Apple-Mini- ... c63b24bcb5

Add $250 for a great personal use laptop:

https://www.costco.com/macbook-air-13.3 ... 88138.html

Now, neither of the above is gonna' be your dream studio computer, but I suspect that either could handle your current album project without breaking a sweat, as long a you connect a drive like the one below for your data and aren't running so many VIs you need more RAM.

https://www.costco.com/samsung-2tb-port ... 59709.html
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

pencilina wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:04 pm Maybe try pulling certain dimms out (try half and half) and pulling and re-seating the processor cards (if it has them). I had an upgraded 2010 that had little status lights on the MB, maybe yours has some and that would give you a clue. I'd stay away from Apple and find a repair place or refurbisher who had a bunch of old mac pros lying around (and pull all your drives out if you send it). Good luck!
Thanks, pencilina......
Tried re-seating memory and swapping SSDs already. No love. 😭
Rick Cornish

Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:25 pm Just and FYI... I was up and running on a film score two days after receiving my M1 Mac Studio, moving all data and much of my VI sample library from my 5,1 Cheesegrater and reinstalling all apps and plugins from scratch. I closed the score on the 5,1, opened it on the Mac Studio, and was off to the races.. and the track was waaaaay faster..

Just something to consider as you also consider putting $500 towards the aging 6,1. Depending on how many VIs you run (thus how much RAM and storage you'd need), you might even be able to run the project on a base model M1/M2 Mac Mini or MacBook Air.

The Apple Silicon machines are wicked strong.
Thanks again, HCM. On reflection (and after half a dozen other futile attempts to get my Mac Pro revived), I decided to order a Mac Studio.
Rick Cornish

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I can imagine the complex emotions of making that kind of big money decision under duress. For me, it feels "cleaner" to upgrade without those pressures. And I'm sure you're aware there are no guarantees of smooth sailing-- but even if there are hiccups, you'll get there.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

stubbsonic wrote:I can imagine the complex emotions of making that kind of big money decision under duress. For me, it feels "cleaner" to upgrade without those pressures. And I'm sure you're aware there are no guarantees of smooth sailing-- but even if there are hiccups, you'll get there.
Thanks, yes… I had visions of doing the migration when I had a week to sort things out… but no such luck. I’ve built up enough Mac systems in my life that I’m sure I’ll figure this out. I have all my files backed up in Time Machine. Apps and plugs will get installed from scratch. We’ll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish