Anyone getting this error? - "an operation was attempted that will only succeed when not playing"

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
taka
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Anyone getting this error? - "an operation was attempted that will only succeed when not playing"

Post by taka »

Hello--

I'm getting this error (see attached picture) when I am editing something in sequence editor, then rewind a little, either by grabbing the wiper and pulling it back, or double clicking the top part of the track, and hit space bar to start playback.
Doesn't happen always, but happens quite often...

I'm on DP 11.3, Ventura 13.6.3, Intel Mac Mini i7 3.2GHz 6 core.
Not sure where to look, any suggestion is welcome, thank you-! :)

Taka**
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 20.30.06.png
Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 20.30.06.png (61.23 KiB) Viewed 6206 times
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
mikehalloran

Re: Anyone getting this error? - "an operation was attempted that will only succeed when not playing"

Post by mikehalloran »

Is there any reason to doubt the message? Are you completely stopped before you attempted whatever this is?

Many plug-ins introduce delays or that you might not see. In addition, there may be background processing happening.

You have an option in Preferences/Settings to show the Background Processing window whenever it is active. I would check that box to see if that might be the issue.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
taka

Re: Anyone getting this error? - "an operation was attempted that will only succeed when not playing"

Post by taka »

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply--!

Ah yes it could be some background processing preference that's got turned back on for some reason...
I will check it tomorrow & update-

Taka**
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Was it related to a command in the File menu?

Manual, page 32:

File menu commands (except Save) cannot be used during playback. To use a command in the File menu, press the Stop button beforehand.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
taka

Post by taka »

Thanks for the replies--

I didn't really get to the bottom of it, but it's looking like it was to do with that particular project; it's a soundtrack to a video installation, with LOTS of small soundbites playing back sound effects. I was moving those around to adjust their timings to the picture, and in doing so, doing a lot of 'rewind a little and playback' actions in quick succession.

I'm woking on more of a straight music project today (where I don't need to do such intense soundbite edits), and so far the warning hasn't appear.

If I discover the combination of actions that triggers this warning, I'll report back, but for now it's all good (until my next sound collage piece at least !)

Best, Taka*