Need to find FireWire to thunderbolt 4 adapter for HD896 units

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
donreynolds
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need to find FireWire to thunderbolt 4 adapter for HD896 units

Post by donreynolds »

Hi
I also posted this in the Mac hardware section
Am I screwed here?
I just updated to an older Mac Pro to a Mac Studio M2 Max
I really like my two Motu HD896 units and would like to continue using them as they have Black Lion mods
They are FireWire
Is there a reliable ( and safe ) FireWire to thunderbolt 4 adapter that will work to be able to connect to my Motu units?
Or any other suggestions.

Thanks
Don
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
mikehalloran

Re: Need to find FireWire to thunderbolt 4 adapter for HD896 units

Post by mikehalloran »

MOTU no longer supports the 896 so does not list current drivers and hardware that might allow it to work. It's a business decision.

TB4 allows multiple TB3 devices to be connected to a single port through a powered hub or daisy-chain (only the first device can be bus powered). Otherwise, there are no actual TB4 devices other than hubs and cables.

1) You need the Apple FW to TB adapter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SQ ... UTF8&psc=1
plus the Apple TB2 to TB3 adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ ... UTF8&psc=1

You may also need a FW400 to 800 cable or adapter if you don't have one. I prefer a cable
https://www.amazon.com/CY-Firewire-9-pi ... ef=sr_1_10

2) Read this Tech Note so you know what to do after installing the driver
https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... igh-sierra

3) The correct driver is also the one for the 828mk3 Hybrid
https://motu.com/en-us/download/#category=1&product=269
MOTU Audio Installer
Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021
macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11
4) Follow the instructions in that Tech Note (2) within 30 minutes. if you miss the window, reinstall the driver, reboot and try again.

If your unit is in good shape, it will work. Do keep in mind that the very last 828mkII/896 was built in 2006. The mk3 was announced at NAMM January 2007.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
donreynolds

Re: Need to find FireWire to thunderbolt 4 adapter for HD896 units

Post by donreynolds »

donreynolds wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:01 pm Update: 😂 I finally decided to embrace the future. If I did all the fixes to make my 896HD work, I figure I will be trading old problems for new problems and will be beating a dead horse.

When I upgraded my old Mac Pro to the max studio M2 Max, not only were my Motu units rendered obsolete, but also my two monitors .

So, I went ahead and bought an Acer 49” curved screen ( lots of screen landscape now)

And purchased an Antelope discrete 8 pro synergy core audio interface. There was a pretty nice discount going on and a full Fx library.

I was deciding and narrowed it down to several moru units, the Focusrite Clarett, Apollo X8 P ( it was nice, but too expensive for my budget)

I think /hope the Antelope does well for me.

Now to upgrade DP and see what plugins from other vendors still work… gonna be a headache I am thinking… 🤔
Going to eBay my two 896HD units. They have Black Lion mods which improved them tremendously. I really liked those units.. they were great. I doubt I will get more than $100 each now.. that’s so crazy, but it is what it is..

Any thoughts on my purchases from those that are in the know?? Ha ha, I need some reassurance, lol
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)