Cue Mix not working at all

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
salomao
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Cue Mix not working at all

Post by salomao »

Could someone please give me na hand here?

I just bought a Motu M6 audio interface and would like to use it in my live performance setup (using software synths/VST).

I would like to configure the device in such a way that some audio inputs would be heard only by me (headphones) not coming out in the main output. I guess the “cue mix” software could do the job.

However, I cant get cue mix to work properly.

I am using a Mackbook Pro (2017) i7 processor with 16GB RAM, running MacOS High Sierra.

When I run cue mix, its icon is shown in launch bar but no window/gui interface comes out and there is no way I can configure my M6.
The m6 drivers are properly installed and my Mac uses the audio card.

I thought that it could be something related to High Sierra, so I updated the SO to the next release (Mojave) but the problema remains.

Any help would be mucha apreciated

Salomao
mikehalloran

Re: Cue Mix not working at all

Post by mikehalloran »

Although the GUI is accessed through the drivers, CueMix is built into the interfaces that support it.

Unfortunately, CueMix is not part of the MOTU M2,4,6 interfaces.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

salomao wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:04 am
I would like to configure the device in such a way that some audio inputs would be heard only by me (headphones) not coming out in the main output. I guess the “cue mix” software could do the job.
On the M6 you'll have to do that in software - a DAW, live performance app (ie Main Stage) or something along those lines.
From the manual:
6. Both headphone outputs mirror the signal on the MONITOR 1-2
outputs (on the rear panel). Engage the 3-4 switch to monitor
LINE OUT 3-4 instead on this headphone output. This allows you
to set up a separate mix from your host software for this
headphone output.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

CharlzS wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:45 pm
On the M6 you'll have to do that in software - a DAW, live performance app (ie Main Stage) or something along those lines.
From the manual:
headphone output.
Thanks! I was looking that up in the manual when I saw that you beat me to the punch.

For the OP, I find that searchable pdf manuals save a lot of time. Here's the one for the M2/4/6

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/usb-c ... _Guide.pdf
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
salomao

Post by salomao »

CharlzS wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:45 pm
salomao wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:04 am
From the manual:
headphone output.
Thank you for your reply!

I stilt cant set the M6 to run as I expected.

I want to ear everything on my phones (I mean, both my MIDI/VST sounds, as my M6 is connected to my Mac, AND an external sound source (guitar, click, whatever) conected in one of my M6 inserts BUT only my keyboards come out on the main output.

I have been trying differente combinations and what I get is either I ear everything on my phones but nothing comes out im the main output or I ear everything and everything comes to the main output too :-(

Am I doing anything wrong?
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

What app are you using? Check the documentation/videos for that app on how to set up monitor mixes.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you could map out for us exactly what you need it to do, one of us may be able to suggest a signal path and monitoring options that work. You have an I/O blend control over USB that can be most useful plus an additional pair of returns via Loopback (must install driver to enable).

We don't need to see equipment brands but otherwise, please be specific i.e. 2 mics, stereo keyboard, DAW stereo in, additional input through Loopback etc. If the mics are not condensors, let us know that as well.
salomao

Post by salomao »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:59 pm If you could map out for us exactly what you need it to do, one of us may be able to suggest a signal path and monitoring options that work. You have an I/O blend control over USB that can be most useful plus an additional pair of returns via Loopback (must install driver to enable).

We don't need to see equipment brands but otherwise, please be specific i.e. 2 mics, stereo keyboard, DAW stereo in, additional input through Loopback etc. If the mics are not condensors, let us know that as well.
Well, I am using an Arturia 88 keys controller, conected to a Macboock pro. I use Gig Performer to manage my vsts and setup my full show performance.

The Motu M6 is my audio interface, meaning it is conected to the Mac and so all my synth sounds are routed to de main mixing table trough M6 audio outputs.

Now, I want to insert another sound source on M6 line in or Mic/XLR inputs (in fact, I would like to add 2 sources: a click coming from my drummer and the main stage monitoring (wich I setup using a X32 app - Mixing Station).

As you surelly understand, I dont want those audio inputs to go through the main outputs, but I need to ear them on my phones.

is there any way I can do it?
salomao

Post by salomao »

Unfortunatelly, I cant find a way to avoid any áudio inserts to come on the M6 outputs.
I found a way to listen the áudio on my earphones.(not going to outputs 1-2 or 3-4, but when I can do that, I wont ear my keyboard/vsts :cry:
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

salomao wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:08 pm Unfortunatelly, I cant find a way to avoid any áudio inserts to come on the M6 outputs.
Absolutely correct. There are 6 analog inputs and each goes to a specific channel over USB. You can monitor them Mono, Stereo, Both or not at all in pairs.
I found a way to listen the áudio on my earphones.(not going to outputs 1-2 or 3-4, but when I can do that, I wont ear my keyboard/vsts :cry:
Actually, there may be a way to get what you need but I asked you for specific info on how you are setting things up including the number of mics, keyboards into which channels plus your DAW. Are you triggering VIs only or are you also using direct sounds from the keyboards? If using more than one keyboard, what are they? If you have to use those Line Inputs, this is important.

If I have to guess about anything, I can't really help.