Altiverb 8 is here

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
Michael Canavan
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Altiverb 8 is here

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:04 pm I can't remember which company was pushing CLAP and put a lot of time into it, but hate to say, I just don't see it catching on. Not too many DAWs support it and I don't see MOTU building in support. It's tough reaching critical mass, which is what CLAP needs to do to become practical.

I had been using Altiverb 7 as an AU all along so I'm fortunate. I haven't double-checked this, but pretty sure Altiverb 8 will automatically replace instances of Altiverb 7 in old projects.
I think CLAP is about 5 years too late, when Steinberg first started really pushing VST3 and no one wanted to deal with it. I still think that over time it might win out, mostly for all the right reasons. AU is a PITA that will probably never go away like AAX tied to one DAW or one OS, VST 2 became a standard, then Steinberg basically changed the spec in ways that nearly every developer hated.

CLAP is done by independent developers, the two big early adopters are Bitwig and U-He who I believe contributed to the spec? My guess is it doesn't go away but takes another decade to get roundly adopted. The advantage is they've done their work in that it's already being designed to be the first thing you code for, with hooks for AU, VST3 and maybe even AAX. Basically it's easier to code it first then for the other bigger names, than to code only for AU and VST3. That's the selling point, if it actually works like that, then it could get adopted quickly by plugin developers and DAWs would follow.

Hopefully things work out for you AU wise, I read on Audio Eases web page that they recommended making patches for all your old songs before migrating to 8, and they would provide an old license if you had older songs that needed converting.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Hi,

This first update addresses several crashes that had been overlooked during beta testing.
It also fixes a crash in preset conversion in the installer.

To update your currently installed Altiverb 8 you only need to download the 210 MB plug-in updater from:
https://www.audioease.com/download

Best,

Audio Ease
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

For now stick with AU indeed.

Best regards,

Aram Verwoest
Audio Ease support
AU for DP
James Steele
Site Administrator

Altiverb 8 is here

Post by James Steele »

Looks like there is already an 8.0.4 update to address some crashing. Ahhh I see it was posted about already.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... just saw someone say over on VI Control that the AU version of Altiverb 8 does not have a resizable GUI!! And that it's likely it won't in the future!

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-5464427

I'm not sure what they mean or why that would be, but I'm using a 43" 4K Samsung as my main monitor and if I need to check to see if I'm going to want to size Altiverb 8 up larger and if so, I might need to use VST3 apparently?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

I have this version 8 of the Altiverb (8.0.4.) and the resizing works fine under Au format . :D
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

corbo-billy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:13 am I have this version 8 of the Altiverb (8.0.4.) and the resizing works fine under Au format . :D
There's 8.0.5 and for all versions, I've had no problems resizing the AU version.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
BobK

Post by BobK »

I'm running Altiverb 8.04 in DP 11.23, and am able to re-size it.

I assume it's the AU version because in Preferences > System Info it says version: 8.0.4 au2

(And DP's Preferences lists the VST3 version as "non-primary.")

Altiverb-8-system-info-resize.jpg
Altiverb-8-system-info-resize.jpg (46.79 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4