Altiverb 8 is here

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
BobK
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Altiverb 8 released

Post by BobK »

Altiverb 8 is released!

Upgrade from version 7 (regular) is $99.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
HCMarkus

Re: Altiverb 8 released

Post by HCMarkus »

BobK wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:03 am Altiverb 8 is released!

At last! The final tree in my Rosetta2 forest of plugins has fallen. Money sent. Download proceeding very soon.

Catalina thru Sonoma compatibility.

It should be noted there is no more MAS version of DP in Altiverb 8. I switched to using AU some time back, and 8 is reported by AudioEase to open with identical settings in project that used earlier versions. This will not, however, work with MAS versions.

Also, AudioEase's recommendation on the webpage is VST3 for DP, but after entering DP/Ventura as system info info before ordering the product, AU is recommended.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
BobK

Re: Altiverb 8 released

Post by BobK »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:43 am
BobK wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:03 am Altiverb 8 is released!

At last! The final tree in my Rosetta2 forest of plugins has fallen. Money sent. Download proceeding very soon.

Catalina thru Sonoma compatibility.

It should be noted there is no more MAS version of DP in Altiverb 8. I switched to using AU some time back, and 8 is reported by AudioEase to open with identical settings in project that used earlier versions. This will not, however, work with MAS versions.

Also, AudioEase's recommendation on the webpage is VST3 for DP, but after entering DP/Ventura as system info info before ordering the product, AU is recommended.
And in the FAQs:
There will be no MAS Altiverb 8 plug-in.

Before you upgrade to Altiverb 8 please save the settings of your MAS Altiverb 7 plug-in instances in your projects as Altiverb presets (irp files). You can do this in the Altiverb IR browser.

These will be converted by the Altiverb 8 installer so you can load your settings into your Altiverb 8 Audio Unit instances when you replace them. In case in a while you need to turn back to an old project where you have not done that we can provide temporary licenses so you can do this still.
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
Killahurts

Re: Plug-in Updates Sticky Topic

Post by Killahurts »

I updated my Altiverb XL, it was $200.

I'm mixing in Dolby Atmos now, so these new features are excellent for me.

If it hasn't been mentioned, you have to relinquish your Altiverb 7 iLok license, when you upgrade to 8.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Michael Canavan

Altiverb 8 is here

Post by Michael Canavan »

I didn't get an email, but there's a thread on KVR about Apple Silicon ready plugins, and someone posted it. Audio Ease might be the only company that doesn't send enough spam! :koolaid:

No Windows version yet. Not a terrible upgrade for Altiverb regular, but no Atmos, still a massive jump to upgrade to XL. They aren't doing a MAS version anymore, and recommend VST3 for DP and other Mac OS VST3 capable DAWs.

https://www.audioease.com/altiverb/
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Altiverb 8 is here

Post by James Steele »

Wow!! I have to go look! It sure has taken a long time. I have Altiverb 7 regular. Wonder what the upgrade cost is?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Found it. €89 or $96! Well that’s about what I expected. Of course I’m gonna pay it. Altiverb is kinda a must have. Wonder why they recommend VST3 over AU?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

See the plug-in updates topic. There’s some interesting discussion going on over there. Including if you’re on DP/Ventura or higher to use AU. Setting will supposedly carry over.

Michael Canavan

James Steele wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:49 am Found it. €89 or $96! Well that’s about what I expected. Of course I’m gonna pay it. Altiverb is kinda a must have. Wonder why they recommend VST3 over AU?
I recall the MAS version had some issue, someone here pointed out the VST or AU version worked better. VST3 is supposed to release CPU back to the host when the plugin is not in use, but I bellieve AU does also. It is interesting they recommend the VST3 over the AU. I only use VSTi3's for things with MIDI out usually, AU for most plugins these days.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I just installed Altiverb 8 Regular. I don't have time to dig into it yet in details, but I know this overwrote Altiverb 7 and I had to surrender the license for Altiverb 7. Does this nuke all the old Altiverb 7 IRs? I had moved mine to an external drive. I think all the core IRs for Altiverb 8 are new. If so, I will trash the IR folder on my external drive for Altiverb 7. I do have Third Party IRs on the external drive. I may just move the IRs over and update the directories in Altiverb 8.

I am sort of not liking the amount of wasted space in the GUI though. Seems like it could have been more compact. Trying to feel my way around the preset/IR browser too. Better bust out a manual I guess.

Michael Canavan

I posted on Audio Ease's Facebook Altiverb announcement page about the conflicting information on which to use AU or VST3 in DP11. Hopefully I get a response.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:01 pm I posted on Audio Ease's Facebook Altiverb announcement page about the conflicting information on which to use AU or VST3 in DP11. Hopefully I get a response.
I do remember when I went to their upgrade page, and perhaps it was the page for downloading the installer, you choose your DAW and your OS and it definitely recommended the AU version for DP with Ventura and Sonoma.

I was happy to find too, that it Altiverb 8 automatically replaced Altiverb 7 in my user-created plugin window and I'm pretty sure they said it will replace Altiverb 7 instances in existing projects automatically.

I am wanting to find out if i just go ahead an delete my Altiverb 7 IRs that I had on an external drive. I assume so. Can't imagine Altiverb 8 is using them for anything since the installer installed IRs on my boot drive and in the Altiverb 8 prefs, all the directory designations point to folders on the boot drive as well.

hammerman

Post by hammerman »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:01 pm I posted on Audio Ease's Facebook Altiverb announcement page about the conflicting information on which to use AU or VST3 in DP11. Hopefully I get a response.
This is from Audio Ease: "VST3 would be the logical choice to switch to as it works on both mac and windows. However currently the VST3 Altiverb 8 does not work in DP, the AU Altiverb 8 does."
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
Michael Canavan

hammerman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:29 pm
This is from Audio Ease: "VST3 would be the logical choice to switch to as it works on both mac and windows. However currently the VST3 Altiverb 8 does not work in DP, the AU Altiverb 8 does."
Yep, the eternal burning dung heap that is VST3 rages on. :banghead: Some people have started a third plugin type not aligned with a particular DAW or computer manufacturer called CLAP, hopefully it wins out before I leave this veil of tears. So far only a few small DAWs support it. https://cleveraudio.org
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I can't remember which company was pushing CLAP and put a lot of time into it, but hate to say, I just don't see it catching on. Not too many DAWs support it and I don't see MOTU building in support. It's tough reaching critical mass, which is what CLAP needs to do to become practical.

I had been using Altiverb 7 as an AU all along so I'm fortunate. I haven't double-checked this, but pretty sure Altiverb 8 will automatically replace instances of Altiverb 7 in old projects.