DP11 and UAD native plugins

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jahjedi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP11 and UAD native plugins

Post by jahjedi »

Hi All,

I recently started collecting UAD native plugins and have been running into significant problems with them in DP11. Just wondering if I'm not alone with that.

The main issue seems to be some kind of address error such that the plugins get corrupted sometime soon after instantiation in a DP11 session. This leads to DP sessions crashing on start up. At times it's been really difficult to retrieve DP sessions that have UAD plugins instantiated within them.

Most of the time though, opening a DP session in safe mode and deleting the UAD plugin gets the session back. You lose the UAD plugin(s) on the session but at least you don't lose your entire session.

Other times UAD plugins just won't show up in the plugin manager.

UAD support initially identified this as being an issue on the AU versions of the UAD plugs (AU being my preferred type of plugin version). But I'm finding the problem occurring now on virtually all of the UAD plugins I've bought no matter what their version (AU or VSTx). UAD support more recently have informed me they have identified this as being a DP11 issue. They said the motu devs are aware and working on it.

That was some time ago. I've stopped using my UAD plugs now, but am hoping there's a fix soon as they're great tools when they work!

Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Does it make sense to make a DP support ticket? I've had some mixed experiences with motu support over the years so I'm reluctant to go there - and not sure what it would achieve at this point.

Cheers
James
DP11.22 / M1 Mac Mini / OS14
M1 Mac Mini - macOS 14 - DP11.23
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP11 and UAD native plugins

Post by James Steele »

Welcome to the forum!

First of all if your sig is correct you're running Sonoma so you should go over to MOTU and download DP 11.23. It has a couple of fixes that apply to Sonoma. Off the top of my head it fixes the increased menu bar height in the windows and also issues with the Bounce to Disk dialog. Probably some others.

Second... also make sure you've launched UA Connect and have the very latest versions of the UADx plugins. You're correct in that they have been problematic in DP at the outset. From what I've hard MOTU and UA have made some adjustments to fix the problem. Currently I have several UADx plugs and they don't seem to be causing me issues, but it might be that I'm not using them that often as I also have a TB Satellite OCTO and prefer to use the DSP plug-ins most of the time, unless there's no counterpart (Sound City is only UADx right now, for example) or it's a VI.

The biggest problem I had is that the UADx AU's would pass AU validation, but then failing during DP's own "Gathering info..." process that you'll see on the splash screen. I'd have to sort of brute force launch DP over and over until it got through them all without crashing.

There are other threads about this on the board. I do believe though that UA and MOTU are finally getting this sorted out.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jahjedi

Post by jahjedi »

Thanks James! And thanks for the info - much appreciated. My bad, I just checked and I am in fact running DP11.23 (I wrote the OP w/o checking first). And all my native UAD plugins are up to date. I'm pretty sure I've checked with each DP and UAD update to see if the situation has improved and it hadn't last I checked. I'm thinking I may have to invest in a satellite - but as you say that only offers a partial solution.

Thanks again!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jahjedi wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:07 am Thanks James! And thanks for the info - much appreciated. My bad, I just checked and I am in fact running DP11.23 (I wrote the OP w/o checking first). And all my native UAD plugins are up to date. I'm pretty sure I've checked with each DP and UAD update to see if the situation has improved and it hadn't last I checked. I'm thinking I may have to invest in a satellite - but as you say that only offers a partial solution.

Thanks again!
I don't know why they'd be working okay for me right now and not for you. Maybe I'm not stress testing them but I know I'm able to open projects with a few instances of UADx without issue. I know for early on it was noticed that DP was more likely to crash if the first project you opened after launching DP contained UADx plugs. So one workaround was to launch DP, open a project without any UADx plugs first, then close it, and open the one with them. Can't say for sure that works still. Again not sure why I seem to be doing okay with them now.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
jahjedi

Post by jahjedi »

I'm not sure I tried that last work around - but I do remember a lot of mucking around for not much success. I haven't used them for a while. I thought I'd checked last DP and UAD update but it's possible I missed checking back on one of those. Will try again this weekend and see. Thanks for the feedback.
jahjedi

Post by jahjedi »

Hey James, just a quick update to say my up-to-date UAD plugins are still preventing my DP11.23 sessions from opening as before but I tried your work around, and it works. Which is fantastic. Thanks kindly!
MisterT

Post by MisterT »

Hi!
My first post here. Thank you to all of you who keep bringing friendly help to their fellow DP users through your insightful posts. This forum has been of good help to me several times.
I have been having the DP/UADx problem for quite a while now. DP will consistently quit upon launch as long as UADx is installed on my computer. The same thing happens on both my Mac Studio and my MacBook Air - both M1. I have contacted MOTU support about it, and got a very friendly and swift answer, telling me this issue is known, that they´re working on it, but that solving it will require work both on their part and that of UA. I was told this would take a while.
For those of you who are successful at running these plug-ins within DP: did you skip the AU version at install?
And for the record: my good old trusty UAD powered plug-ins work like a charm, like they always have. I have had to deinstall UADx.
Mac Studio M1 Max, 32/500, MacOS 14.4, Macbook Air 16/1TB, MacOS 14.4, Digital Performer 11.31, Universal Audio Apollo x16, x8p, Satellite TB3 Octo, and Apollo Twin Quad
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jahjedi wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:54 am Hey James, just a quick update to say my up-to-date UAD plugins are still preventing my DP11.23 sessions from opening as before but I tried your work around, and it works. Which is fantastic. Thanks kindly!
I'm glad that helped. That's obviously not an ideal fix, but at least it helps you open projects. I'm not sure if that works all the time, but most of the time.

What's odd is other users here and I seemed to only need that fix early on with the UADx plugins. Only speaking for myself, I'm not having to use that workaround anymore. It might have been because back then most of use may have been on macOS Monterey or Ventura? Are you on either of those. I'm actually on the latest Sonoma (14.1.1) and it's actually been pretty smooth sailing.

The biggest problem I have, as I mentioned before, is after installing a new UADx plugin, DP sometimes will crashing during the "Gathering Info..." process on the new plugin.

MisterT

Post by MisterT »

Thank you for your input on Sonoma, James! Maybe I´ll try upgrading my MacBook Air and see how that goes. That would be the first time I´d upgrade MacOS this early in the cycle, but hopefully it will work for most of my plug-ins, and maybe it´ll lead to a more stable system all around.
Mac Studio M1 Max, 32/500, MacOS 14.4, Macbook Air 16/1TB, MacOS 14.4, Digital Performer 11.31, Universal Audio Apollo x16, x8p, Satellite TB3 Octo, and Apollo Twin Quad
jahjedi

Post by jahjedi »

On Sonoma 14.1.1 here - so yep the problem still existing with all software up-to-date unfortunately (masOS, DP & UADx).

Welcome MisterT, your post makes me wonder if there may be an M1 specific factor contributing to this issue?

James are you on M2?
jahjedi

Post by jahjedi »

just realised your set-up's in your signature - you're on an M1
jahjedi

Post by jahjedi »

...and I've not gotten any crashing at the initial install of UADx plugs - but some will appear in the plugin list saying they didn't pass - others just don't appear in the plugin list.
MisterT

Post by MisterT »

Well, I upgraded my MacBook Air to Sonoma 14.1.1, and now UADx actually seemed to be working - at least to a certain degree. DP crashed on the first launch. On the second, a dialog told me that it had crashed again, but clicking "Ignore" took me into the program, and everything was working - including a couple of UADx plug-ins. The third time I tried opening DP, though, it crashed again. Since that, I haven´t had any success at launching at all.
Bennie Sims

Post by Bennie Sims »

I have found that if you run DP 11.22 in Rosetta mode the UADx plugins work fine. they do not running in Native. I am still on Ventura.
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

It seems James' tip works for me: open DP with a project file that does not include any UADx plugins, then close without quitting DP and open the desired UADx project.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31