So what are you planning to blow your money on on Black Friday?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: So what are you planning to blow your money on on Black Friday?

Post by Jim »

James Steele wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:09 pm... often a developer has no mechanism to verify eligibility and it slips through the cracks which is what that is. Sweetwater had a glitch too and actually some purchases that weren't eligible received emails that there was an issue and it was being reviewed and in some cases, they're money was refunded.

The bottom line there is you take your chances. There's no risk... if you get rejected you feign ignorance/confusion and get your money back.
I was directed to the UA site to get the iLok keys. I figured they'd ask for a serial, which I've seen on other sites for upgrades. I didn't see this bundle at "full price" on the site, so I figured this may be old code and they've gotten generous and need a Black Friday deal to be seen in the glut.

I'd be happy to wipe them from my drive if they feel taken and will give me a refund.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I went to the site and noticed there was no requirement to prove an earlier UAD licence. Was about to spring, but then I thought I’d ask how well UAD stuff has stood up over the past several years, i.e., is it really that much better?

I retired my UAD card a long time ago when I got a Mac without slots. At the time, a UAD plugin was the thing to have, largely because CPUs couldn’t do it, and perhaps because of UAD’s experience.

But now? Are their emulations of their own and others’ stuff any better than others? I don’t need a dozen emulations of each of these things, and other than the Pultec EQs, I don’t really miss any of the UAD plugins I had, and I just got one that might do the job.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

So what are you planning to blow your money on on Black Friday?

Post by James Steele »

I like some of the UAD stuff. I got a TB Satellite OCTO when I bought my Mac Studio and I don't regret it. I had several projects with UAD plugs all thoughout and this was before they had any native plugs, so I wanted to be able to open old projects and recall the settings, etc. There are some UA reverbs that are pretty nice, but CPU intensive, so I like to give my Mac some "breathing room" and offload thins like the 480L or Hitsville Chambers onto the Satellite and watch DP's Audio Performance meter drop.

I bought Ultimate 11 on after the cutoff date for the free upgrade to Ultimate 12, so I got several other plugs as well as the new Sound City plug which is really very powerful. I was watching a YouTube video the other night where they went into detail and there were features there I didn't know existed. It's out right now as native and it's a bit of a CPU hog, but from what I hear they are going to release the DSP version pretty soon. It's one of those rare occasions where the native version comes to market first.

I think hardware like the UAD-2 Satellites (especially the TB3 varieties) will be useful for years to come. I know the conventional wisdom is that DSP is dead or dying, but I'm intrigued at the possibility that there will be a big sell off of those units on the used market and if I can get a second TB3 OCTO cheap... heck... why not?

This is sort of the same philosophy behind my acquiring a used Avid S3. I'm tickled with this unit. It's built like a tank. it was originally $5K. Avid mentions that they're dropping support in Dec. of 2025 and some people must think they're going to magically stop working, but EUCON is a living breathing protocol so my S3 should be viable for years to come. And people are now dumping units in excellent shape for $2k or less! I got mine for $2K and it absolutely smokes my old MC MIx and MC Control combo. I've combined it with an iPad just to the right of it on a stand running Avid Control which gives me the touch screen and lots of other capabilities. I'm stoked. Not to mention, I just didn't have the room on my desk for an S1 + Dock setup or even two S1s.

The only downside is that EUCON support in DP leaves a lot to be desired. It has improved by leaps and bounds in DP 11, but there are some drawbacks like:
• Adding a plugin to an insert is possible but pointless. There's no hierarchy, forcing you to page through every plugin you own looking for the one you wish to add.
• You can't assign a track to a group using a EUCON control surface.
• The custom parameter mapping for plugins feature isn't reliable on DP. You create the map, quit and reopen the project and rather than seeing parameter names you see "n/a."

The more I start getting into the S3/Artist Control/Artist Control Desktop combo, the more I find myself frustrated by DP's incomplete EUCON implementation. But again, they have made major strides and Jared at MOTU who has posted on this board recently really cares about tackling these bugs and making the EUCON support more robust. I'm actually very encouraged when I see the kind of effort he has put in to squashing bugs. Kudos to you, Jared!!! :headbang:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Thanks for the details (James). I had assumed the UAD native plugins would be comparable to others on CPU, but looks like the dedicated DSP is still the way to go with them. If your system gets stressed, mine would pass out. I’m not attached enough to the UAD plugins I’d use to spend the cash on the DSP hardware, and going back to an old mix is not something I do much.

There’s a guitar shop here doing Black Friday tomorrow. There’s a place to blow money.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

The UAD Essentials Edition is now up on the UA site for $49 without any apparent upgrade/previous product requirements.
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/plug ... ition.html
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Jim

Post by Jim »

CharlzS wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:36 am The UAD Essentials Edition is now up on the UA site for $49 without any apparent upgrade/previous product requirements.
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/plug ... ition.html
Now that I'm a customer, I've been getting blasted with emails about sales, and I got notified of this today. So, I'm glad to be legit.

As for CPU usage, I've only had the bundle for a day, but I just replaced three Kontakt LA-2A in a project with the UA version, and noticed no increase in the DP Real Time meter. I also replaced six instances of PhasePlant VIs (which are CPU hogs) with the UA PolyMax, and the CPU meter went down. So my preliminary experience so far is that these aren't overly CPU intensive.

I realize PolyMax to PhasePlant isn't an apples to apples comparison. PhasePlant practically invites module abuse.
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 12.7.4 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox Oxford, SSL, PSP, UA, iZotope. VIs: Cherry Audio, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA
tremo

Post by tremo »

Another UAD deal -- make a custom bundle of any two plugins for $99. And it looks like they really mean ANY UAD plugins. I've wanted to grab the Helios channel and Zener Limiter for a while, and at $50 apiece, now was the time. 8)
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.4.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 10.8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:18 pmI like Sonarworks better than ARC (at least the version I used) in that it allows a lot more control; you can limit the frequency range of correction and balance corrected audio/bypass audio 0 to 100%. AS-Native. Free trial; the sale starts tomorrow afternoon.
You're a bad influence, sir! I just popped for the $179 for SoundID Reference and the measurement microphone! Maybe Jack in the Box for lunch next time now? I think I'll have enough money left for the two tacos for $99.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:27 pm
HCMarkus wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:18 pmI like Sonarworks better than ARC (at least the version I used) in that it allows a lot more control; you can limit the frequency range of correction and balance corrected audio/bypass audio 0 to 100%. AS-Native. Free trial; the sale starts tomorrow afternoon.
You're a bad influence, sir! I just popped for the $179 for SoundID Reference and the measurement microphone! Maybe Jack in the Box for lunch next time now? I think I'll have enough money left for the two tacos for $99.
We can drop by the food bank...