Monitoring a muted MIDI track while in record mode.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
s_lone
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Monitoring a muted MIDI track while in record mode.

Post by s_lone »

Hi there.

For mw whole time using DP (since 2003), it was possible to play and hear a muted MIDI/instrument track if it was in record mode. Of course, the actual content of the track wouldn't play since it was muted but I could still monitor the track if I played on my MIDI controller since it was in record mode. Since I updated to DP11, this doesn't seem to work anymore.

Does anybody know if this is still possible? I have DP9 running on an old computer and the MIDI Patch Thru settings are set to Auto channelize and the "Patch Thru in background" box is checked. It gives me exactly what I want, which is the possibility to play a MIDI track in real time even though it is muted (if the track is in record mode). If I use the same settings in DP11, a muted track is 100% muted. I can't monitor it and test how it sounds by playing on my MIDI controller while it is in record mode.

Hope this is clear and thanks for any help!
zounds

Re: Monitoring a muted MIDI track while in record mode.

Post by zounds »

Yup, have the same complaint. Sometimes I want to explore a different idea for the track, but don't want to create a new Take or erase/mute the old MIDI notes, etc. Would be easier to just mute the track and record enable.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

One of the changes with the new Instrument tracks.

I believe this still works the old way. If you have the VI in a V-Rack and use a traditional MIDI track in the sequence, you can mute the MIDI track and still play through.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

CharlzS wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:08 pm One of the changes with the new Instrument tracks.

I believe this still works the old way. If you have the VI in a V-Rack and use a traditional MIDI track in the sequence, you can mute the MIDI track and still play through.
You can also use one of the new Combo MIDI/VI Tracks to host the VI; just record MIDI on a second MIDI-only track (like we used to always do) that addresses the Combo track. It will pass MIDI to the VI regardless of the MIDI-only track mute state.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31