Page size

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
vapoureyes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Page size

Post by vapoureyes »

Is it possible to set the page size larger than A3 in DP? It seems that via the Page Setup, A3 is the largest option available for me. Or is this limitation simply determined by the capabilities of the printer installed and the corresponding Windows drivers? I do have an A2 printer, but its not yet installed.

The reason I ask is specifically so that I can maximize the horizontal spread of bars in Quickscribe. Currently I have it set to A3 landscape, but A2 landscape (or larger) would be optimal on my widescreen. I don't want to install the printer yet, unless its absolutely necessary to obtain that extra screen space. Its a shame Quickscribe has no option for a continuous scrolling display like the Notation editor - it wouldn't be an issue in that case.
Win 10 64G RAM, Behringer UMC404HD, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Nektar Panorama P6
vapoureyes

Re: Page size

Post by vapoureyes »

I found an acceptable solution by using the Microsoft XPS Document Writer driver within DP. I selected an 'E size sheet' (34" x44"), which in landscape mode is 118mm(44 inches) wide. That dimension will fill the screen horizontally of my 43"monitor quite nicely without a frequent line break.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Glad you found a solution, For future reference, I have an Epson 7840 which has A2, A3, 11x17 etc. and all page sizes are available in DP. Would assume that would be true for any printer that installed form definitions.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stubbsonic »

Is there any option for creating custom page sizes? On my Mac I can. Also, perhaps installing a virtual PDF print driver might be a workaround.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
vapoureyes

Post by vapoureyes »

CharlzS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:36 am Glad you found a solution, For future reference, I have an Epson 7840 which has A2, A3, 11x17 etc. and all page sizes are available in DP. Would assume that would be true for any printer that installed form definitions.
Thanks for replying CharlzS. What do you mean by "definitions"?

Its odd that initially there were no options to select a printer source in the Page Setup dialogue - the drop down selector was greyed out. Only by going through the Print Window dialogue and selecting to print was I able to get the Page Setup drop down menu to work - and only by selecting the Microsoft XPS Document Writer as my default. Initially it would highlight the Microsoft Print to PDF driver, with its page size limitation of A3.

As it is a new PC, I had not yet nominated a default printer, so perhaps that is why the Page Setup drop down was inactive. I would expect all my printers to be visible, but that is not the case for me. I only have one option in the drop down menu, and that is "Automatically Select". Changing the Default printer in Windows to an actual printer makes no difference unfortunately. Although something seems amiss, I am now quite happy that in Quickscribe I can at least get a semblance of a continuous stream of measures horizontally with the E sheet page size setting.

The DP User Guide (v.11) on page 505, states "Custom page sizes are not supported", so it seems some users are overriding that limitation.
vapoureyes

Post by vapoureyes »

stubbsonic wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:57 am Is there any option for creating custom page sizes? On my Mac I can. Also, perhaps installing a virtual PDF print driver might be a workaround.
Not sure if its just a limitation of Windows OS, but the DP 11 User Guide states the following on page 505:
"Custom page sizes are not supported".
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

If you look at the Print Server Properties, you will find all the forms that are defined in Windows. The printer drivers can reference any of those in their respective drivers and/or install additional definitions for only that printer. I have never had any luck creating new forms but did at one point modify one that worked.

If you're not seeing your printers and it's a new computer and if you're connecting via wifi, your network may be defined as Public. You can change that to Private in 'Network and Internet Settings'. By default Network Discovery is off for Public networks.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
vapoureyes

Post by vapoureyes »

CharlzS wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:52 pm If you look at the Print Server Properties, you will find all the forms that are defined in Windows. The printer drivers can reference any of those in their respective drivers and/or install additional definitions for only that printer. I have never had any luck creating new forms but did at one point modify one that worked.

If you're not seeing your printers and it's a new computer and if you're connecting via wifi, your network may be defined as Public. You can change that to Private in 'Network and Internet Settings'. By default Network Discovery is off for Public networks.
Thanks for that info. I had never previously used the Print Server Manager. I like that you can at least create default page sizes per printer.
All my printers are now shared on my ethernet Private Network and are usually visible and accessible, but seems not with DP, except for the XPS driver.

I also tried to create a custom form from scratch - 2000" x 2000" and initially it seemed to work, but it unacceptably stretched each measure and so was not very useful. Then I tried smaller dimensions - but then just a blank page was the result. I think I'll stick with an E sheet size at the moment.
Chandrasekar

Post by Chandrasekar »

Use a PDF printer where you can choose all sizes of pages in the setup. (Up to A0 also)
You can print the PDF later with any available printer.
Regards.
vapoureyes

Post by vapoureyes »

Chandrasekar wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:55 pm Use a PDF printer where you can choose all sizes of pages in the setup. (Up to A0 also)
You can print the PDF later with any available printer.
Regards.
....thanks for the reply Chandrasekar. Unfortunately there seems no options for any of the PDF drivers I have installed to set/print larger than A3 in the "A" format. The only larger size possible (with the Microsoft XPS Document Writer driver) is an "E sheet" - which is not quite as large as A0, but not bad. Which PDF driver are you using to set an A0 size?
Chandrasekar

Post by Chandrasekar »

Sorry for my late reply.
I use Foxit PDF and PDF995.
Regards.
vapoureyes

Post by vapoureyes »

Chandrasekar wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:05 pm Sorry for my late reply.
I use Foxit PDF and PDF995.
Regards.
No problem. Okay thanks, I'll look into both of those programs.