MOTU M4 broken?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
phlux
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MOTU M4 broken?

Post by phlux »

Hey, i got some weird problems with my MOTU M4 from 2021.

It started with me suddenly having to set the buffer size to 1024 instead of the 128 i ran it on previously because i got glitches and even complete crashes of the interface when closing my DAW.
It also showed me on lower bitrates that my CPU may be not powerful enough. I have a AMD 5800x and plenty of free ressources so that shouldn't be an issue with the CPU and it never was before.
The problem persist whenever i'm using the interface either with ASIO drivers, direct audio or windows sound.

Now i started to always get glitches and crashes even while just running games even on higher bitrates like 2048.
Changing the bitrate after a crash fixes the problem for a couple of minutes but it's pretty much unusable like it is now.

I already reinstalled the driver, updated the firmware, even reinstalled Windows and changed USB and system power settings.
FYI i'm running the latest Windows 11 on an AMD 5800x, Geforce RTX 3070 and 32 GB Ram 3600Mhz.

So my question is is the interface already broken or is there something else i could try?
CharlzS

Re: MOTU M4 broken?

Post by CharlzS »

phlux wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:34 am Now i started to always get glitches and crashes even while just running games even on higher bitrates like 2048.
You're confusing sample rate with buffer size here. What is your sample rate? The higher you set the sample rate the higher your buffer will likely be. Also, how is the M4 option to 'Sync Windows Sample Rate to Device' set? Maybe also a conflict with Windows audio settings? I have the sample rate set to 48k in both the M4 settings and Windows sound control panel for both Play and Record. I also have the Sync Sample rate option checked. No problems at 128 buffer.
phlux wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:34 am Changing the bitrate after a crash fixes the problem for a couple of minutes but it's pretty much unusable like it is now.
Also a Windows app may be setting the sample rate in the background - something to look into. It's best to have everything set for the same sample rate.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
phlux

Post by phlux »

Thanks for your answer.
My Sample Rate is set to 48k on all devices and MOTU drivers.
Sync Windows sample rate to device is checked.
I tryed it with checked and unchecked Lowest latency safety offsets but it didn't change anything.
And i can't find any Windows settings that have it set to something other than 48k 24 bit.

Also using ASIO drivers in my DAW should circumvent any other Windows settings anyways right?
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

phlux wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:53 am Also using ASIO drivers in my DAW should circumvent any other Windows settings anyways right?
I believe that is the case if the DAW opens the device in Exclusive Mode. The M4 drivers are multi-client so any number of apps and the system can use simultaneously if none of them require Exclusive Mode.

You appear to have everything set correctly. Have you tried a different USB cable and port? Checked the Device Manager (with 'Show Hidden Devices' option selected) for multiple M4 devices/drivers?
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Also if you have the System audio set to the M4, try setting that to the onboard sound device.
phlux

Post by phlux »

CharlzS wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:25 amHave you tried a different USB cable and port? Checked the Device Manager (with 'Show Hidden Devices' option selected) for multiple M4 devices/drivers?
I only see 1 MOTU M Series in the device manager under Audio. Did try other USB ports but not a different cable.
I'm using the one that came with the device atm but i'll try to find another cable to test it with.
jotunbjorn

Post by jotunbjorn »

Here's everything I had to do to get my M4 working flawlessly: Disable XCHI Hand-Off, Disable legacy usb support, Disable CPU core parking.