Output sound disappears when there's a change in power input

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on Windows, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
doknow
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Output sound disappears when there's a change in power input

Post by doknow »

Hey guys,

I've been having one of the most weird and frustrating issues with my Motu M2 device.
I lose the Output sound whenever I turn the lights off/on in my room, turn off/on the AC, or basically when there's a change in power input in the house, bear with me because I couldn't explain it any better.
The funny thing is that the input isn't affected and keeps on working without change.
I couldn't find anything online regarding this issue, has someone encountered it before?
Running an i5-13600kf, Z690M Aorus Elite.
Using a USB C to USB A to connect to the computer ( Also tried with a USB C to USB C )
Appreciate your assistance, thank you!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Output sound disappears when there's a change in power input

Post by HCMarkus »

Perhaps you should consider purchasing a UPS (battery backup) with AVR (automatic voltage regulation). I'd recommend one that outputs Pure Sine Wave as opposed to Simulated Sine Wave.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Output sound disappears when there's a change in power input

Post by mikehalloran »

I did a test on this and a couple other devices connected to an iPad. The M2 needs reliable bus power and there have been a few threads on this over the years.

As Mr. Marcus suggests, get a good UPS — imperative if power is fluctuating. With many UPS bricks, the level of protection varies depending which outlet your PC is plugged into so pay attention to that. If still having issues, I will recommend a powered USB hub, also plugged into the UPS.

As for the cable, as long as it supports USB 2 (480 Kbps) data transfer, you are fine — all should support the 5V 2A, USB 2 charging spec required by the M2. Many USB-C to USB-C cables don't support USB 2 so always read the specs.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro