DP 10 stutter/freakout after (or almost exactly) 6 hours. Overheat?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
detroitdiesel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 10 stutter/freakout after (or almost exactly) 6 hours. Overheat?

Post by detroitdiesel »

I'm having an issue with DP10 getting instantly glitchy at almost exactly 6 hours into a session. Perhaps an overheat thing? I run an 828X and its near bulletproof up until that 6 hour mark. If i restart the computer and power cycle the interface its fine.
(on rare occasions I'll need to repeat the process a second time)

Anyone ever deal with this?

It first happened when I was running two 828x units simultaneously but now it even happens when only one is connected.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 10 stutter/freakout after (or almost exactly) 6 hours. Overheat?

Post by bayswater »

Yes, on an older 828, especially on a warm day. I added space around it in the rack and that helped, but even then, on a hot day it died after a few hours. I’d had it for about 15 years at that point so just replaced it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

detroitdiesel wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:12 am I'm having an issue with DP10 getting instantly glitchy at almost exactly 6 hours into a session. Perhaps an overheat thing? I run an 828X and its near bulletproof up until that 6 hour mark. If i restart the computer and power cycle the interface its fine.
(on rare occasions I'll need to repeat the process a second time)

Anyone ever deal with this?

It first happened when I was running two 828x units simultaneously but now it even happens when only one is connected.

You may have two things going on. Your workarounds solve both temporarily but don't isolate either one.

Rebooting the computer dumps any RAM caches. Cycling the 828x cools it down for awhile.

Since we know nothing else about your setup, there's not much else to add. Please include your OS and build as well as the version of DP 10. Also let us know your hardware including how much RAM is installed and if you have any other apps active while using DP including a browser.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
detroitdiesel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by detroitdiesel »

Thanks for the replies. I'm running DP 10.13 on a 2.8 intel i5 with 16G of RAM. The same issue happened in last nights session at almost the 6 hour mark. A quick restart solves the issue. I don't let it cool. works fine after that.

Very strange indeed

Thanks, DD
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

detroitdiesel wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:57 am Thanks for the replies. I'm running DP 10.13 on a 2.8 intel i5 with 16G of RAM. The same issue happened in last nights session at almost the 6 hour mark. A quick restart solves the issue. I don't let it cool. works fine after that.

Very strange indeed

Thanks, DD
This is a classic example of not enough free RAM. Rebooting clears the cache and frees RAM being used by other apps.

You can clear the RAM cache by opening Terminal.app and entering the following command followed by the Return or Enter key:

sudo purge

Enter your Admin password when prompted.

This should help. Don’t cycle the 828x.

Memory leaks are the bane of all software. Developers go after them like a big game of Whack-A-Mole Here's what you can do. You didn't say what OS and hardware (I did ask) so I'll make some guesses.

If RAM is already maxed out, nothing you can do about that but, if not, add more. I just spent four days doing a clean install of IKM's Total Studio Max 4 on my 2012 MacBook Pro test machine (16GB is the max RAM) because the Product Manager kept freezing. I'd run sudo purge or reboot to get it going again (never froze on my new Studio with 192GB AM — go figure).

Run the latest version of the macOS you can. Check for any security updates etc.

Reboot before a DP session and do not have any other apps running — especially a browser. Web pages are a major source of memory leaks.

Download and reinstall DP 10.13. It's possible that the build at motu.com is later than the one you have installed.

Make sure that all your plug-ins and VIs are up to date. Again, memory leaks are the normal bug fix in the latest version of anything.

Perform a Safe Boot by shutting down and holding the Shift key when you boot your Mac. Enter your Admin password when prompted. After your desktop icons rebuild, reboot normally. This resets your System caches and pathways to default. It does not touch your Users caches.

Delete the Users/(user)/Library/Preferences cache for DP so thast it can rebuild. This loads every time you launch DP. Here's a recent thread on this. It should be done once a year or so.

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 2F#p606565
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro