Silencer from Wide Blue Sound -- Why?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Silencer from Wide Blue Sound -- Why?

Post by bayswater »

I watched a video on this new effect, and at first thought it was a brilliant idea perfectly executed.

It's here. https://www.widebluesound.com/silencer/

But then started thinking that if you have the problem they are trying to solve, aren't you using the wrong sort of reverb and reverb settings? If a reverb is meant to emulate a listening space, presumably you'd emulate one that works with the sort of music you are producing? So if you play a banjo track with a reverb that emulates a large cavern, rather than worry about notes that sustain too long, wouldn't you just change the reverb to one that emulates a small room?

Maybe I'm missing the point.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Re: Silencer from Wide Blue Sound -- Why?

Post by stubbsonic »

I think it is probably more useful to think of this as a special effect, rather than focusing on sounding natural, though I imagine that could be interesting and useful, too.

They describe it as an improvement over the traditional gated reverb. That makes sense. As they say, a gated reverb clears the reverb by chopping the reverb itself, and Silencer does it by manipulating the source- without affecting the dry thru.

I don't understand how it "resets the reverb".
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:05 pmI don't understand how it "resets the reverb".
From the demo, it sounds like it is simply muting the reverb tails when a new transient appears in the source. In some cases it does sound better, but in those cases, just using a more appropriate reverb would do the same. In other cases it sounds very unnatural, so I suppose you’re right when you say it might be best thought of as an effect.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:23 am
stubbsonic wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:05 pmI don't understand how it "resets the reverb".
From the demo, it sounds like it is simply muting the reverb tails when a new transient appears in the source.
I'm thinking most reverbs don't have a way to mute the reverb while still processing new signals. There may be some kind of round-robin thing going on, either ping-ponging between two instances? Or more than two? Or maybe it uses some kind of phase inversion trick.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:00 am
bayswater wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:23 am
From the demo, it sounds like it is simply muting the reverb tails when a new transient appears in the source.
I'm thinking most reverbs don't have a way to mute the reverb while still processing new signals. There may be some kind of round-robin thing going on, either ping-ponging between two instances? Or more than two? Or maybe it uses some kind of phase inversion trick.
Note that Silencer is not a reverb plugin. It works with a reverb plugin, which has to be in VST3 format. Presumably those publish info that other plugins can use, and it uses that info.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Quite off-topic, but Soundtoys Superplate has an option: automatic reverb time changing according to input level (full length with low levels, short time for high levels).
IMOE, this has been a very interesting and easy to tweak feature.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

daniel.sneed wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:20 am Quite off-topic, but Soundtoys Superplate has an option: automatic reverb time changing according to input level (full length with low levels, short time for high levels).
That IS clever, and seems incredibly useful. Does it let you adjust the "range"?

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

stubbsonic wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:36 am
daniel.sneed wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:20 am Quite off-topic, but Soundtoys Superplate has an option: automatic reverb time changing according to input level (full length with low levels, short time for high levels).
That IS clever, and seems incredibly useful. Does it let you adjust the "range"?
Of course, and release speed too.
You set the long time, the short time and the signal level threshold which switches between both.
Yes, this IS clever, but very fine sounding to my ears too!
Soundoys plates have been my go to for long now, but this last one has stumped me.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Sending this topic off the rails for a moment. Zoom released a modestly priced bass fx unit that has "multi-layer IR" which somehow uses a different amp/cab IR based on the playing level. I was trying to wrap my head around how it would work. I was envisioning some kinds of snazzy dynamics processing to split the signal. The thing is, the latency on the rig is tiny (not noticeable), so it must be a clever little algorithm.