Remote Chunk Selection via OSC - Arrow Keys vs DP Control

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stublito
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Remote Chunk Selection via OSC - Arrow Keys vs DP Control

Post by stublito »

I have been hanging on to DP control, but wonder how long I will be able to connect via Wi-fi with my old iOS devices (iPhone 4, iPad Mini 2.) DP control uses OSC and so has a "deep" connectivity with DP. I have DP 11 but still rely on DP 9 live (old plugs...) and it works great.

I rely on the Markers function. I have the Counter window full width on my laptop screen displaying Markers. I put the Song title all caps in marker right at the beginning of the Chunk. Then I add markers containing lyrics, chord cheats etc that run real time with the music. AND I ALSO have the Markers window open in the consolidated window, and use wifi Screen Sharing to share that section of the Consolidated window to the vocalist's iPad (I use the iPad's Zoom function to position and adjust the size) to give the vocalist real time scrolling lyrics.

I have been experimenting with using the up/down arrow keys to switch chunks. It works great, but with one exception. It changes the song title (and subsequent markers) in the Counter window, but DOES NOT select the appropriate Chunks' marker list in the Markers window.

Has that behavior changed in DP 10 or 11? I expect not, as I suspect that the Commands functions are a different architecture than the OSC commands. I am really not looking forward to trying to programming an OSC based iOS app to change the chunks (mimic what DP control does.)

Does anyone else have any OSC based chunk selection solution?
Tidwells@aol.com

Re: Remote Chunk Selection via OSC - Arrow Keys vs DP Control

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Hey, Stubilito! I don't have the answer to your question, but I am impressed with your clever use of markers as song lyrics & chord notes. I bet this would work great for many church worship teams who are performing different songs each week and don't have all of the lyrics memorized. They often depend on a tech team member to put the correct lines of lyrics on their video monitor at the right time, but human errors happen and can lead to musical train wrecks....

It seems like your method would provide greater reliability and each line of lyrics can have its timing "fine tuned" in advance to appear right when it is needed...

Doug
stublito

Post by stublito »

Well thank you. IF you can select Chunks via OSC you can also...

We are a track act duo and occasionally play with other musicians. I put a cheat sheet for the bass player in the Lyrics Window, and do the iPad thing for them.

I have experimented with adding a second large wired monitor, but you could do wireless. I have even used a "dummy" monitor dongle to simulate the second monitor, it does work but is clunky and really not pro.

Then I spread the consolidated window over both monitors. I pop out the Control panel, Counter and Mixer window (which is a V-Rack so doesn't need to be real time (don't get me started on that...) and leave them on the laptop screen.

I then have enough room in the dual monitor Consolidated window to put Quickscribe pane in along with the other panes. Only panes in the consolidated window refresh (with OSC chunk selection), so you have to work out the geometry.

I've been doing this since DP 8.

S
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by stubbsonic »

Would Window Sets be a potential workaround?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stublito

Post by stublito »

UPDATE: I just tried setting the arrow keys as Up/Down chunk in DP 10 and it works! All the windows sync. Am assuming DP 11 is the same, but oh those legacy plugins...

So end of problem. Sorry to bother. Tho if someone does have OSC code for OSCulator or a similar iOS app, I would klove to know about it.

Stublito
stublito

Post by stublito »

UPDATE UPDATE.

I'm getting old. Preferences - Consolidated Window - Update the edit windows to play enabled chunk.

S