any way to use Mackie Control Universal for CC's for, say, orchestral sample libraries?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
dbikel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

any way to use Mackie Control Universal for CC's for, say, orchestral sample libraries?

Post by dbikel »

Hi, everyone. I have been using DP since it was, uh, "P". I have a pair of old-but-still-fully-working MCU units, an MCU + MCU XT. I am doing more and more orchestral composing these days, and would love to be able to use the MCU for CC control for my sample libraries, to control expression, dynamics, vibrato, etc. that most orchestral libraries require. I have found some very old threads on this, but is there any way to accomplish this? I already own a Korg Nanokontrol 2, which works well enough for what it is, but I have these fantastic Penny & Giles 100mm faders in front of me that I'd rather be using.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: any way to use Mackie Control Universal for CC's for, say, orchestral sample libraries?

Post by bayswater »

Off the top of my head, I’d suggest having a look at MIDI Learn Mode. Somewhere around page 305 of the manual.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dbikel
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: any way to use Mackie Control Universal for CC's for, say, orchestral sample libraries?

Post by dbikel »

I'm very impressed by your encyclopedic knowledge of the DP manual! It was on p. 302. That section describes MIDI learn in the context of the clips window, which doesn't _seem_ to apply to what I'm trying to do. However... it was very good advice to RTFM, because on p. 919, there's a section called ATTACHING A MIDI CONTROLLER TO PLUG-IN PARAMETERS which does seem to fit the bill here.

So, thank you!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

Glad you found it. Had nothing to do except sit by a pool for two weeks, so I read the whole thing. It’s amazing what’s in there.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8