Crashing DP 11.23 & Kontakt 7.6.1

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Crashing DP 11.23 & Kontakt 7.6.1

Post by HCMarkus »

joelfriedman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:20 pm Hi HCMarkus. Just as an FYI I don't own any UAD stuff. I return later this week and will update to Kontakt 7.0 and... hope!

Thanks all.
Just got one of those non-crash crashes; the log had "Kontakt 7" all over it.

SO, I just updated to Kontakt 7.7. I'm gonna' restart the Mc and see how it goes. I'll check back in soon.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Still got "K7" on a non-crash crash. But it will take a few days more to be sure.

Probably unrelated: I'm getting predictable crashes when Hiding Takes after comping audio takes; this has been going for a while now; I just forget about it until I have to comp vocals again, then, ooops, oh yeah... Just sent MOTU a Techlink. If I save before the Hiding Takes, I can re start DP after the crash and can then Hide Takes without issue.
HC Markus
joelfriedman

Post by joelfriedman »

Have you (or anyone) had the "disappearing instantiation of Kontakt" - where patches/multi loaded in its interface goes blank and the listing in TO window changes from "Kontakt 1-1" etc. to "Instrument 1-1?" As I mentioned, K1 seems to still be there I just had to go with "Instrument 1" and reassign the MIDI tracks and repopulate the multi w'instruments. It's another version of a "crash-no crash." Once I realized it wasn't gone, and more importantly didn't try to re-add the instance of Kontakt 1 it was workable. When I did delete Instrument 1 (and all of its tracks) and replace it with K1 that's when things would go south. No idea (yet) if this is still a thing as I"m not home and haven't updated to K7.7.
Joel Friedman
Web: http://www.joelfriedman.com
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/joelfriedman
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joel-friedman/1b/7b2/8a9

iMacPro 2017 3.2 GHz, OS 13.6,3 32GB RAM, 4 1 TB HD's (boot, project, and samples), MOTU UltraLite MK4, Nektar Impact LX88
DP 11.3, MachFive 3.2, MX4 2.2, Ethno 2.01, Komplete 14 Ultimate (don't ask...), Sibelius Ultimate, Symphobia v. 1.06, assorted libraries...

MacBook Pro M1 16 GB RAM OS 13.6.3
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Have you (or anyone) had the "disappearing instantiation of Kontakt" - where patches/multi loaded in its interface goes blank and the listing in TO window changes from "Kontakt 1-1" etc. to "Instrument 1-1?"
Haven't seen that Joel.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

HCMarkus wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:34 am Still got "K7" on a non-crash crash. But it will take a few days more to be sure.
Today, one day post-update Kontakt to 7.7, no more "No-Crash Crashes". Maybe 7.7 fixed it!
HC Markus
joelfriedman

Post by joelfriedman »

HCMarkus wrote:
HCMarkus wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:34 am Still got "K7" on a non-crash crash. But it will take a few days more to be sure.
Today, one day post-update Kontakt to 7.7, no more "No-Crash Crashes". Maybe 7.7 fixed it!
Your lips to God’s ears. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel Friedman

iMacPro 2017 3.2 GHz, OS 13.6,3 32GB RAM, 4 1 TB HD's (boot, project, and samples), MOTU UltraLite MK4, Nektar Impact LX88
DP 11.3, MachFive 3.2, MX4 2.2, Ethno 2.01, Komplete 14 Ultimate (don't ask...), Sibelius Ultimate, Symphobia v. 1.06, assorted libraries...

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

This is really interesting because I’m pretty sure I’ve had those types of crashes even AFTER I installed Kontakt 7.7.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

James Steele wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:13 am This is really interesting because I’m pretty sure I’ve had those types of crashes even AFTER I installed Kontakt 7.7.
Same here.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

May have just been lucky for me. Without issue, I opened several projects that had exhibited that error previously, but it has never been a consistent thing. We'll see what today (and tomorrow, and...) brings.
HC Markus
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

I'm getting crashes with Cinematic Studio Strings. The whole system goes down. And weird graphics glitches. I am so sick of NI.

By the way, have you noticed that now if you double-click to load an instrument, it overwrites? You have to deselect an orange instrument by clicking on empty space below it and then double click to add an instrument. Really NI? Sheesh, give me a friggin' break!
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

hammerman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:13 am By the way, have you noticed that now if you double-click to load an instrument, it overwrites? You have to deselect an orange instrument by clicking on empty space below it and then double click to add an instrument. Really NI? Sheesh, give me a friggin' break!
Evil Dragon addresses this at VI-Control:

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-5440209

Note the drag & drop approach he mentions.
HC Markus
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've been waiting for NI to offer a discount on the Kontakt 7 upgrade. Finally. I logged in, but it would not show the upgrade option/price. At some point, it popped up saying (falsely) that I own a Komplete bundle, and could get the upgrade to K7 "bundle" version. I tried a few more times to just get the a la carte upgrade, but NI insisted that this is the one I was eligible for. I'm waiting for the "team" to review my order, so it might fall apart or get remedied.

Also, weird aside, launching Native Access, it doesn't automatically check for available updates (to NA itself). So I was stuck unable to login, until I manually updated NA. No biggy, just weird, because most software managers (particular NI in the past) used to update itself automatically on launch. Perhaps that's new Apple security stuff.

UPDATE: Got my serial, and am now downloading K7 & Kontakt Factory Library 2. It all worked out.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:25 am
hammerman wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:13 am By the way, have you noticed that now if you double-click to load an instrument, it overwrites? You have to deselect an orange instrument by clicking on empty space below it and then double click to add an instrument. Really NI? Sheesh, give me a friggin' break!
Evil Dragon addresses this at VI-Control:

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... st-5440209

Note the drag & drop approach he mentions.
Thanks HC but it is still more steps. To add a string quartet, I used to do 4 double-clicks. Now it's double-click, scroll to bottom or enlarge Kontakt instance, find empty space, click once, double-click and start all over. Not an improvement IMHO. I would prefer a preference option here.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
joelfriedman

Post by joelfriedman »

This reminds me among the many Kontakt issues I've recently had (the crashes, the spontaneous emptying of my multi and the change of the VI name from Kontakt to Instrument) was a double click issue as well. if I used the browser view where you see the big pics in the "landscape overview" of all the libraries, and can audition them, and I double clicked on an instrument I was auditioning to add to my multi it always replaced the last instrument in the multi. If I used the view WITHIN the multi, the left pane, using either the library or file tab, I could double click and add to my multi fine, it never replaces the last instrument in the multi. I’m guessing it’s a “feature” but I hate it. The behavior is not consistent within the two window views, FYI: you can’t audition in the library/file view, and since you don’t see your multi from that landscape overview, you don't know it's replaced your last instrument and it’s easy to forget that, which leads to an unpleasant surprise when your multi is screwed up a bit. Again I guess this is deliberate, but I don't believe Kontakt did this before and it's not consistent behavior with how the other window works.
Last edited by joelfriedman on Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joel Friedman

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:54 am May have just been lucky for me. Without issue, I opened several projects that had exhibited that error previously, but it has never been a consistent thing. We'll see what today (and tomorrow, and...) brings.
Spoke too soon. Same pseudo-crash on one project today.