mOTU m6 BSOD immediately...FYI

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
luvtrax
Primary DAW OS: Windows

mOTU m6 BSOD immediately...FYI

Post by luvtrax »

After a lot of research, I decided on the Motu M6. I wanted this for my desktop machine as I'm already using an SSL2 on my laptop. I uninstalled the SSL2 drivers just in case.....I then downloaded the drivers and installed them. When the M6 arrived I plugged it in and upgraded the firmware.

I opened the motu panel to switch from 41 to 48K and got A BSOD immediately.. It did work as a Windows Sound Card for a short time before BSOD

Upon opening Studio One I got another instant blue screen of death. I reinstalled the drivers...same. I did not attempt to install this on my desktop because I didn't want the problems there, I just built it and I don't want anything going haywire because the SSL2 works on both flawlessly. Rather than deal with endless tech support phone calls this that and the other do this and do that I decided to just return it to Amazon.

I'm thinking about just buying the SSL2+ and going with 4 inputs but I'm in research mode again.

I was cautioned that the Motu Drivers are better if you have a Mac and now I get it...... I just found it incredible that a company like Motu which has been in this business for a long time has a media problems where others can install without issues....
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: mOTU m6 BSOD immediately...FYI

Post by mikehalloran »

Unlike the Mac, there's no such thing as "core compliant" Windows audio. Drivers are required. Not knowing what other drivers you do and don't have installed ... it makes a difference and there's no way around it.

First thing to do is look for all the references to drivers in the manual. Searchable pdf files are your friend.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/usb-c ... _Guide.pdf

If that doesn't do it, get MOTU Support on the case by going through motu.com. They do offer phone support as well.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
luvtrax
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: mOTU m6 BSOD immediately...FYI

Post by luvtrax »

Thank you!
I pretty much understand it's likely the drivers. Its all about drivers on Windows OS. I felt that there was a driver clash. Which is why I uninstalled the SSL2 Driver first. ohh well. It's a great interface but I think I'm sticking with the SSL stuff. Its drivers work seamlessly with Windows.

As a note.....When I reinstalled the SSL2 driver, I did not uninstall the Motu driver and the SSL2 still worked fine with the other driver on the system....interesting