Falcon 3 is coming!! Leaked video?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Falcon 3 is coming!! Leaked video?

Post by monkey man »

Until today only the original factory library was available for download on the "My Products" page.

Just letting you guys know that they've just added "Falcon Factory rev2" as an option below the original download tab.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:27 pm
stubbsonic wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:40 am Falcon is hard to see. Tiny screen icons and fonts are super hard to read, make out.
Doesn't the Falcon window have a size setting or pref? I didn't notice that the fonts were particularly small.

Edit: Yes there is a UI scaling preference. Take That Kontakt!!!
It's actually pretty funny to make the UI so much bigger but the fonts don't change-- almost makes the fonts seem smaller. Hilarious.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
dix

Post by dix »

bkshepard wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:46 pm Just to update on my inability to download the updated Falcon Library, I did hear back from UVI...

1. As an owner of Falcon, I don't need to have SonicPass so that wasn't the issue.
2. I'm also on a really fast wired network, so it wasn't download speed--at least on my end.
3. They had me try various things to reset the preferences for the UVI Portal, but that didn't help.
4. They reminded me that as a registered owner/user, I don't actually need to use the Portal, but can just log into my account on UVI and directly download the files from there, which is what I did. You need an app to uncompress the .rar file and then you need to manually move the .ufs file to the proper location, but once that is done, everything works just fine.
Shoot. I'm getting this too. Guess I'll go download the .rar like it's 2009. :) Thanks for doing the research on this. That simplifies things somewhat.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:26 pm
bayswater wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:27 pm
stubbsonic wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:40 am Falcon is hard to see. Tiny screen icons and fonts are super hard to read, make out.
Doesn't the Falcon window have a size setting or pref? I didn't notice that the fonts were particularly small.

Edit: Yes there is a UI scaling preference. Take That Kontakt!!!
It's actually pretty funny to make the UI so much bigger but the fonts don't change-- almost makes the fonts seem smaller. Hilarious.
Something odd. They look fine here. I’ll have another look,
EDIT: Yes, here all the fonts are scaling with the graphics.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

dix wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:43 pm
bkshepard wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:46 pm Just to update on my inability to download the updated Falcon Library, I did hear back from UVI...

1. As an owner of Falcon, I don't need to have SonicPass so that wasn't the issue.
2. I'm also on a really fast wired network, so it wasn't download speed--at least on my end.
3. They had me try various things to reset the preferences for the UVI Portal, but that didn't help.
4. They reminded me that as a registered owner/user, I don't actually need to use the Portal, but can just log into my account on UVI and directly download the files from there, which is what I did. You need an app to uncompress the .rar file and then you need to manually move the .ufs file to the proper location, but once that is done, everything works just fine.
Shoot. I'm getting this too. Guess I'll go download the .rar like it's 2009. :) Thanks for doing the research on this. That simplifies things somewhat.
I got another message from UVI this morning that they have identified the issue and are working on a fix. Hopefully, folks won’t need to old-school it much longer.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:58 pm EDIT: Yes, here all the fonts are scaling with the graphics.
Just double-checked. Fonts are identical in all three scaled UI sizes: small, big and fit screen. The only thing that changes is that things spread out a little bit.

When changing sizes, the mapping grid does zoom horizontally (key-ranges), but not vertically (velocity ranges).

It's a 16" MBP, so not as big of a display as many would have in a studio. I'm resisting scaling down the display resolution for more readability. As an aside, got a new glasses Rx recently, and they are worse than my old glasses.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:53 am
bayswater wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:58 pm EDIT: Yes, here all the fonts are scaling with the graphics.
Just double-checked. Fonts are identical in all three scaled UI sizes: small, big and fit screen. The only thing that changes is that things spread out a little bit.

When changing sizes, the mapping grid does zoom horizontally (key-ranges), but not vertically (velocity ranges).

It's a 16" MBP, so not as big of a display as many would have in a studio. I'm resisting scaling down the display resolution for more readability. As an aside, got a new glasses Rx recently, and they are worse than my old glasses.
I’m talking about the UI scaling, not the window size setting. Scaling works the same as the equivalent DP feature.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:17 am I’m talking about the UI scaling, not the window size setting. Scaling works the same as the equivalent DP feature.

Found it! (I was digging in the wrong place.)

THANKS!!

joelfriedman

Post by joelfriedman »

HI All,

Tonight Falcon's sale price ($199) is disappearing. I've 2-3 times in the past asked them about the MOTU cross grade price but never gone for it due to $s and I honestly haven't opened Mach5 in .... ages.

I'm completing scoring a show at LaMama (underscore/scene change/songs) for next week and, honestly, I've had a MISERABLE time w/NI, especially Kontakt. I won't go into it here, it's too long (it's another post when I'm done), but the thing is I have Komplete 11, Kontakt 7.6 (don't ask), and by now a TON of NI compatible libraries. There's the rub - I guess I've chosen my rut... wisely? With what appears to be NI's current direction I'd be happy to leave for a new platform, such as Falcon/UVI, but... I don't know if it makes sense for me.

I have some *really* basic questions.
  • Is it worth getting Falcon?
    Isn't really more for those who create their own sounds/instruments?
    UVI's current libraries are neither compatible with NI, nor do they have their own versions of many of the NI 3rd party libraries and instruments to replace NI (I have a bunch of 8Dio, SoundIron, some OrangeTree, a bit of Spitfire, Symphobia, a bunch of individual smaller libraries).
    NI World has slowly gotten quite extensive over the years, it's a majority of what I use, perhaps not as much as many of you have, but a lot of NI-based libraries (setting aside things like MODO Bass, Superior Drummer etc.).
    I'd have to replace all of that, and there may not be replacements, correct?
    I'm not a "I will create my own cool synthesis instruments" guy. I search, choose, and use (and sometimes) edit instruments, samples etc. from libraries.
I think I'm "stuck" where I am, that Falcon would be cool, but currently doesn't replace NI World. Is that basically correct, or is it worth it to jump in now for $199?

I appreciate the opinions, knowing that they're opinions. But many of you have dealt with these issues in a much deeper and more sustained way than I have.

Best,

Joel
Joel Friedman
Web: http://www.joelfriedman.com
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/joelfriedman
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joel-friedman/1b/7b2/8a9

iMacPro 2017 3.2 GHz, OS 13.6,3 32GB RAM, 4 1 TB HD's (boot, project, and samples), MOTU UltraLite MK4, Nektar Impact LX88
DP 11.3, MachFive 3.2, MX4 2.2, Ethno 2.01, Komplete 14 Ultimate (don't ask...), Sibelius Ultimate, Symphobia v. 1.06, assorted libraries...

MacBook Pro M1 16 GB RAM OS 13.6.3
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

There are threads here about Kontakts latest version being a buggy mess on multiple DAWs to the point to where they loaded older versions on a server to alleviate some peoples pain, you might want to look into that.

Kontakts third party ecosystem is hard to beat. Specifically there are dozens of high quality orchestral libraries for their format, all locked libraries, untransferable licenses. That said if you're willing to abandon them EastWest and Cinesamples among others have their own interfaces these days, so no Kontakt needed.

Falcon is a M53 descendant that went further into the workstation territory with multiple oscillator types, skipts for all kinds of things etc, etc. There are dozens and dozens of patch libraries for it as well as UVI sample libraries. You could definitely own it and never build your own patches from scratch and be happy.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

joelfriedman wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:39 am HI All,

Tonight Falcon's sale price ($199) is disappearing. I've 2-3 times in the past asked them about the MOTU cross grade price but never gone for it due to $s and I honestly haven't opened Mach5 in .... ages.

I'm completing scoring a show at LaMama (underscore/scene change/songs) for next week and, honestly, I've had a MISERABLE time w/NI, especially Kontakt. I won't go into it here, it's too long (it's another post when I'm done), but the thing is I have Komplete 11, Kontakt 7.6 (don't ask), and by now a TON of NI compatible libraries. There's the rub - I guess I've chosen my rut... wisely? With what appears to be NI's current direction I'd be happy to leave for a new platform, such as Falcon/UVI, but... I don't know if it makes sense for me.

I have some *really* basic questions.
  • Is it worth getting Falcon?
    Isn't really more for those who create their own sounds/instruments?
    UVI's current libraries are neither compatible with NI, nor do they have their own versions of many of the NI 3rd party libraries and instruments to replace NI (I have a bunch of 8Dio, SoundIron, some OrangeTree, a bit of Spitfire, Symphobia, a bunch of individual smaller libraries).
    NI World has slowly gotten quite extensive over the years, it's a majority of what I use, perhaps not as much as many of you have, but a lot of NI-based libraries (setting aside things like MODO Bass, Superior Drummer etc.).
    I'd have to replace all of that, and there may not be replacements, correct?
    I'm not a "I will create my own cool synthesis instruments" guy. I search, choose, and use (and sometimes) edit instruments, samples etc. from libraries.
I think I'm "stuck" where I am, that Falcon would be cool, but currently doesn't replace NI World. Is that basically correct, or is it worth it to jump in now for $199?

I appreciate the opinions, knowing that they're opinions. But many of you have dealt with these issues in a much deeper and more sustained way than I have.

Best,

Joel
I’m not going into the NI v Falcon debate. In the world of synth, I dabble at best (certainly own a lot for a dilettante, though, including Falcon). Others are better qualified.

I will point out that the $199 intro price is $10 more than the cross grade offered to MachFive owners — no idea if that offer still exists, btw. It does include a $100 voucher from UVI.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
joelfriedman

Post by joelfriedman »

Thank you Michael²

No, I don't want to get into which is better either. I guess I was thinking out loud and weighing

Get yer discount now! + Is NI a sinking ship?
versus

Oh, no... none of my libraries will work + Let's invest in many new libraries

Too many useful 3rd party libraries.

I think I answered myself: I'll have to - for now - stick in my rut w/NI and wait until the next sale for Falcon. It doesn't make much sense to spend $199 to have something sit for a someday I might use it.

I think if NI were to go off the rails it would be different story. Sometimes multiple platforms seem like a good idea, not all the eggs in 1 packets, but who knows what sort of chaotic complexity having a whole bunch of separate proprietary ecosystems would create?

sigh...
Joel Friedman

iMacPro 2017 3.2 GHz, OS 13.6,3 32GB RAM, 4 1 TB HD's (boot, project, and samples), MOTU UltraLite MK4, Nektar Impact LX88
DP 11.3, MachFive 3.2, MX4 2.2, Ethno 2.01, Komplete 14 Ultimate (don't ask...), Sibelius Ultimate, Symphobia v. 1.06, assorted libraries...

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Kontakt's factory libraries are WAY better and more comprehensive, and there's simply no way to get Falcon to that point in the short term, or without a ridiculous investment in money and time. The third-party libraries clinches it.

I did get Falcon, but only for those times when I want to build something from scratch or use the interesting sound design types of tones that it offers. I still need more time playing with Falcon, to realize where it fits for me.

But clearly, Kontakt is super capable, and isn't lacking in any way that would make you NEED to have Falcon.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:19 amBut clearly, Kontakt is super capable, and isn't lacking in any way that would make you NEED to have Falcon.
One possible exception: if you got Falcon as a successor to M5, and make regular use of the various libraries that M5 worked with. That’s my situation. I have Kontakt because there are a lot of inexpensive or free but interesting libraries out there that don’t work with the free version. Even so, I don’t like Kontakt at all, and never did. But if you have and regularly use Kontakt, and like it, it’s not clear why you’d want Falcon.
joelfriedman

Post by joelfriedman »

Stubbsonic: thank you. Well put. I was leaning that way, was musing out loud. For me, better to save the $200 and put it towards my new system replacing my 2017 iMacPro, you know the M3 Ultra that hasn't been released... :wink:

I *DO* remember liking some of the M5 libraries. I just never explored the UVI thingy to use them and ended up investing more in NI stuff.

I appreciate all of you chiming in. And now back to our previously scheduled programming...
Joel Friedman