Sysex and USB Micro Lite

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
oneway
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sysex and USB Micro Lite

Post by oneway »

Does anyone know if the USB micro lite works well with a variety of Sysex data going in and out of it?

I saw a warning in the MIDI Quest manual about some MOTU MIDI gear corrupting incoming and outgoing Sysex. My 828es messes up incoming and outgoing Sysex data, while my MIDI Express XT USB works fine in the same application. I’d like to avoid the former.
Black-Man

Re: Sysex and USB Micro Lite

Post by Black-Man »

I own 2 of them and have used them w/ various MIDI Ed/Lib software (Prophet 10, Moog LP - both SoundTower, PolyMoon Edit and SysEx Librarian) and have no issues. Mac Studio, OSX 13.6).
Mac Studio Max, 828es, DP 11
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah. That sounds hard to believe that such a fundamental issue could happen with 828es. In a court of law, this is hearsay.

I invite ANYONE who has actually experienced this FIRSTHAND to please chime in.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
oneway

Post by oneway »

Thanks Black-Man.
James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:30 am Yeah. That sounds hard to believe that such a fundamental issue could happen with 828es. In a court of law, this is hearsay.

In my post above, I said that I had. My 828es garbled Sysex data that worked fine on my Express XT.

Could be down to some sort of QC issue or firmware issue, who knows. This stuff can happen.

I’m happy to hear that the micro lite works with Sysex well. I will look into purchasing one.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

oneway wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:57 pm Thanks Black-Man.
James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:30 am Yeah. That sounds hard to believe that such a fundamental issue could happen with 828es. In a court of law, this is hearsay.

In my post above, I said that I had. My 828es garbled Sysex data that worked fine on my Express XT.

Could be down to some sort of QC issue or firmware issue, who knows. This stuff can happen.

I’m happy to hear that the micro lite works with Sysex well. I will look into purchasing one.
Were you using with an Editor/Librarian or was it messing up packets of data being sent from a track in a Sequencer/DAW?

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
oneway

Post by oneway »

James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:07 pm Were you using with an Editor/Librarian or was it messing up packets of data being sent from a track in a Sequencer/DAW?
It was a variety of situations. Mostly sysex dumps to and from various librarians with a handful of different synths. I tested dumps within my DAW once or twice but I don't use those a lot.

I had a configuration that worked perfectly with my MIDI Express XT but I was using so few ports I wanted to see if I could reduce my rack usage and just use my 828es. I tried switching the same configuration over to my 828es and the Sysex dumps started containing erroneous data that would cause errors. During troubleshooting I switched it to my Novation control surface in the same location and it all worked fine again.

Now, I'd like a more suitable half-rack solution. From Black-Man's feedback it sounds like the USB micro lite has a good chance of working.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

oneway wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:43 pm
James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:07 pm Were you using with an Editor/Librarian or was it messing up packets of data being sent from a track in a Sequencer/DAW?
It was a variety of situations. Mostly sysex dumps to and from various librarians with a handful of different synths. I tested dumps within my DAW once or twice but I don't use those a lot.
Okay... just want to see if I can recreate. There are not a lot of librarians out there. I know there's the generic Sysex Librarian app. I also have an old iBook I still can run Unisyn on, believe it or not. So I'm guessing maybe you were using Soundquest and the generic Sysex Librarian app? I'm not aware of much else out there. I'd like to see if I can make this happen with my 828es.

The only time I have encountered sysex issues was back when I had an old MTP daisy changed off an MTP/AV via the Network Port. Sysex on the MTP was not reliable. Anything module/keyboard I wanted to use Sysex with had to be connected to the MTP/AV that was using USB.

I'm currently not using the MIDI I/O on my 828es. I bought an MIDI Express XT for that since I had many units and I wanted to have multiple ports.

oneway

Post by oneway »

MIDI Quest and Sysex Librarian. First tried a daisy chain then individual synths. It would range from not working to partial data all the way to wrong data. I can’t say I troubleshooted more than two sessions- once my Novation interface worked I decided I’d spent enough time on it and moved on.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I’m going to do some sysex dumps to and from devices on 828es and see what my results are. Sounds like you were basically doing librarian type stuff mostly rather than editing parameters in a patch?

oneway

Post by oneway »

A majority of the messages were large dumps, but I was trying some editing as well.