Digital Performer 11.23 released

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Digital Performer 11.23 released

Post by James Steele »

Looks like MOTU released DP 11.23 today. It’s reported that it fixes the menu double click issue in Sonoma. Haven’t checked the release notes yet for any other fixes.

UPDATE:

Enhancements introduced in version 11.23

Fixes
• Fixed a bug causing the Mac menu bar to not activate without double-clicking on macOS Sonoma.

• Fixed a bug causing the titlebar height to appear incorrect on certain windows in macOS Sonoma.

• Fixed a menu bar text alignment bug in macOS Sonoma.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
hammerman

Re: Digital Performer 11.23 released

Post by hammerman »

Thanks James!

Yes, all those issues are now fixed for me.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not on Sonoma yet but update is smooth here.

Performer Lite has not seen this update yet but there are no surprises there; PL usually lags when DP is updated.

OTOH, I was finally able to activate PL today. iLok, TLC and one PSP license were getting in the way but this is the first time that I have seen those messages so that I could deal with them. Now that I have worked through that mess, PL finally activated. I don't know why these issues didn't get in the way of DP—but they didn't.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Looks like the Sonoma fixes is all there is in the Mac version. I don't see the usual release notes anywhere.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:33 pm Looks like the Sonoma fixes is all there is in the Mac version. I don't see the usual release notes anywhere.
I see a Windows download but it may just be a re-naming to be consistent with the Mac version.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 3.33.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 3.33.13 PM.png (98.88 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

bayswater wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:33 pm Looks like the Sonoma fixes is all there is in the Mac version. I don't see the usual release notes anywhere.
I'm still on Monterey.. if I updated to anything, it would be Ventura. Does that mean I skip this version of DP?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Killahurts wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:45 pm
I'm still on Monterey.. if I updated to anything, it would be Ventura. Does that mean I skip this version of DP?
You want to skip Monterey, https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-o ... e-silicon/
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:38 pm
You want to skip Monterey, https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/tip-o ... e-silicon/
Thinking you mean "Skip Ventura," Mike...
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:50 pm

Ventura is pretty solid by now—the only app that has issues for me is DP* and it's minor. There are a number of apps that should not be run over Sonoma yet including Finale.

*DP still shows output track numbers instead of names in BTD over Ventura. MOTU "is aware of this" but has yet to correct it. This is not how it looked in Monterey and earlier. Had I known, I would have stayed there on my iMP. Now that I have a Studio, I'm glad I updated on the other machine or this would have freaked me out a bit:
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 9.10.06 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 9.10.06 PM.png (108.61 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

If that's all they changed, I'll stand pat at 11.22 (on Monterey) until my album is finished.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
motujared
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by motujared »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:13 pm
HCMarkus wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:50 pm

Ventura is pretty solid by now—the only app that has issues for me is DP* and it's minor. There are a number of apps that should not be run over Sonoma yet including Finale.

*DP still shows output track numbers instead of names in BTD over Ventura. MOTU "is aware of this" but has yet to correct it. This is not how it looked in Monterey and earlier. Had I known, I would have stayed there on my iMP. Now that I have a Studio, I'm glad I updated on the other machine or this would have freaked me out a bit:
This appears to be an issue that is specific to Apple Silicon devices where macOS returns those names when using the built-in Mac audio, which causes new bundles to default to this naming upon creation. You should be able to get around this, at least in your BTD list, by going to your Bundles window and renaming the relevant output bundle(s) (opt/alt-click on the name in the list). The actual outputs themselves will retain this name in the Bundles window (at the top of your Outputs grid), but the outputs list in the BTD window should update accordingly.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Whoohoo! Thanks, Jared for sharing this. For those who aren't aware, Jared works at MOTU and is a freakin' genius. He has helped me get issues with EUCON support in DP worked out, just as one small example. Thank you for posting here, Jared!

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

motujared wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:05 am
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:13 pm I'm glad I updated on the other machine or this would have freaked me out a bit:
This appears to be an issue that is specific to Apple Silicon devices where macOS returns those names when using the built-in Mac audio, which causes new bundles to default to this naming upon creation. You should be able to get around this, at least in your BTD list, by going to your Bundles window and renaming the relevant output bundle(s) (opt/alt-click on the name in the list). The actual outputs themselves will retain this name in the Bundles window (at the top of your Outputs grid), but the outputs list in the BTD window should update accordingly.
Nope. That screen shot could have been from my iMac Pro—the 'other machine' where I saw it first.

Whereas MOTU fixed the Core Audio issue with 11.2x, they acknowledged that this is still a thing and that they were aware of it. As I have not updated to Sonoma, I was hoping for a fix. I have no doubt that MOTU is still aware of it.

Knowing about it is all I need. I am most definitely not going to rename all the bundles in all the projects that I open in Ventura.

I had a long talk with Apple about reverting to Monterey after the Ventura update and posted about it at the time. APFS Snapshots can roll back the Data Volume but not the MacOS Volume which is now sandbagged. The only way to revert the OS is to wipe the drive, reinstall the older OS and do a Time Machine Restore. On a nearly full 4TB internal NAND, takes over three days since TRIM and Garbage Collection have to prepare the cells before they can accept new data. On an empty 8TB internal drive, it's closer to 32 hours. I've done both within the last year.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:28 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:13 pm I'm glad I updated on the other machine or this would have freaked me out a bit:
Nope. That screen shot could have been from my iMac Pro—the 'other machine' where I saw it first.

Whereas MOTU fixed the Core Audio issue with 11.2x, they acknowledged that this is still a thing and that they were aware of it. As I have not updated to Sonoma, I was hoping for a fix. I have no doubt that MOTU is still aware of it.
You don't have to say "they," Mike. You can say "you." Jared is a developer at MOTU and he tends to be pretty much on top of these things and is drawing from multiple reports at this point, most likely.

But way to make the MOTU rep feel welcome here! :dance: :unicorn:

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:22 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:28 pm

You don't have to say "they," Mike. You can say "you." Jared is a developer at MOTU and he tends to be pretty much on top of these things and is drawing from multiple reports at this point, most likely.

But way to make the MOTU rep feel welcome here! :dance: :unicorn:
A) I don't know that — sorry Jared.

b) I was quoting MOTU release notes from an earlier update about being "aware of it."

c) the screen shots were identical on my Intel Mac that I decommissioned yesterday and the M2 Studio I received a few days ago.