Digital Performer 11.23 released

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
SMS
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Digital Performer 11.23 released

Post by SMS »

Fixed all the issues I noticed.

Thanks, Motu for a quick and apparently well implemented fix.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Hey guys where are the update notes ?
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:13 pm...There are a number of apps that should not be run over Sonoma yet including Finale...
I haven't had any problems with Finale (yet). What issues are you seeing?

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
motujared
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by motujared »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:27 pm
James Steele wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:22 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:28 pm
Nope. That screen shot could have been from my iMac Pro—the 'other machine' where I saw it first.

Whereas MOTU fixed the Core Audio issue with 11.2x, they acknowledged that this is still a thing and that they were aware of it. As I have not updated to Sonoma, I was hoping for a fix. I have no doubt that MOTU is still aware of it.
You don't have to say "they," Mike. You can say "you." Jared is a developer at MOTU and he tends to be pretty much on top of these things and is drawing from multiple reports at this point, most likely.

But way to make the MOTU rep feel welcome here! :dance: :unicorn:
A) I don't know that — sorry Jared.

b) I was quoting MOTU release notes from an earlier update about being "aware of it."

c) the screen shots were identical on my Intel Mac that I decommissioned yesterday and the M2 Studio I received a few days ago.

No worries. I'm admittedly not sure what you're referring to in regard to release notes; if you can point me to the specific update note I might have a better idea of whether we were previously aware of this issue, or if it just sounds similar to a different issue.

Upon further investigation, I'm not seeing this issue on Ventura with Intel, so I'm not sure exactly how it's happening for you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my best guess is this: the projects you're seeing this in may have been created on Apple Silicon (with built-in audio selected) and as a result, the bundle names defaulted to the odd names that the built-in audio driver is returning on Apple Silicon. Once these bundles were created, those names would have been saved into the project (and the output bundle names are what shows up in the Bounce to Disk window). If this theory is correct, a few things would also be true:

- You wouldn't see this behavior in new projects created while connected to an interface other than the built-in audio.
- If you were to correct any bundle name once, it should persist (and not get reverted back).
- If you create a project on an Intel Mac and bring it over to Apple Silicon, existing bundle names should stay correct.

Hopefully some of that is helpful. I know you mentioned it's a minor/cosmetic issue, but I was surprised to hear that it "changed" for you, as my understanding is this should not occur.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Upon further investigation, I'm not seeing this issue on Ventura with Intel, so I'm not sure exactly how it's happening for you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my best guess is this: the projects you're seeing this in may have been created on Apple Silicon (with built-in audio selected) and as a result, the bundle names defaulted to the odd names that the built-in audio driver is returning on Apple Silicon. Once these bundles were created, those names would have been saved into the project (and the output bundle names are what shows up in the Bounce to Disk window).
My M2 Studio arrive last week. I have yet to begin a project on the Studio or any other Apple Silicon Mac.

I've had an Intel iMac Pro since 2017. The change happened the moment I updated to Ventura in January and I opened a project I was working on. I posted about it here at the time and the inability to roll back the MacOS with APFS Snapshots in another thread after having had a long talk with Apple on this and other Ventura issues.
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64689

I can open any old project ever created going back to those begun in DP 2.7 and get the same result.

Although I have de-commissioned the iMP, I can load an old project on my 2012 MBP running Mojave or Catalina, then load it onto my wife's 2020 iMac running Ventura and get screen shots from all. Not today, I have a project with a steep deadline. Tomorrow, I'll be in Cupertino with Apple Engineering trying to suss out a problem regarding the Studio and multiple displays—not the only one complaining about it but I may be the only person who knows enough to have found a workaround till they fix the problem. I have consulted to Apple on and off since 1986.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

apanacci wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:15 am Hey guys where are the update notes ?
The release notes are always in the installer these days.

Enhancements introduced in version 11.23

Fixes
• Fixed a bug causing the Mac menu bar to not activate without double-clicking on macOS Sonoma.
• Fixed a bug causing the titlebar height to appear incorrect on certain windows in macOS Sonoma.
• Fixed a menu bar text alignment bug in macOS Sonoma.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
motujared
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by motujared »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:42 am
Upon further investigation, I'm not seeing this issue on Ventura with Intel, so I'm not sure exactly how it's happening for you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my best guess is this: the projects you're seeing this in may have been created on Apple Silicon (with built-in audio selected) and as a result, the bundle names defaulted to the odd names that the built-in audio driver is returning on Apple Silicon. Once these bundles were created, those names would have been saved into the project (and the output bundle names are what shows up in the Bounce to Disk window).
My M2 Studio arrive last week. I have yet to begin a project on the Studio or any other Apple Silicon Mac.

I've had an Intel iMac Pro since 2017. The change happened the moment I updated to Ventura in January and I opened a project I was working on. I posted about it here at the time and the inability to roll back the MacOS with APFS Snapshots in another thread after having had a long talk with Apple on this and other Ventura issues.
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64689

I can open any old project ever created going back to those begun in DP 2.7 and get the same result.

Although I have de-commissioned the iMP, I can load an old project on my 2012 MBP running Mojave or Catalina, then load it onto my wife's 2020 iMac running Ventura and get screen shots from all. Not today, I have a project with a steep deadline. Tomorrow, I'll be in Cupertino with Apple Engineering trying to suss out a problem regarding the Studio and multiple displays—not the only one complaining about it but I may be the only person who knows enough to have found a workaround till they fix the problem. I have consulted to Apple on and off since 1986.
This all sounds somewhat odd to me, and I would certainly be interested to know the results of this if/when you get a chance to try it. If you're up for a bit of troubleshooting and can PM me the project file (both versions, before and after having opened it on Ventura), that would be helpful for us to see what might be going on.
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Odd, 11.22, says it is the most current and when I look for an update it says it is the most current?.... Did something change?
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

sayatnova wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:30 pm Odd, 11.22, says it is the most current and when I look for an update it says it is the most current?.... Did something change?
MOTU.com:
Digital Performer 11
Mac v11.23+94219 | Oct. 12, 2023
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

sayatnova wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:30 pm Odd, 11.22, says it is the most current and when I look for an update it says it is the most current?.... Did something change?
Updating from within DP 11.22 showed none available. The downloads page does as mr. Marcus pointed out.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:56 amUpdating from within DP 11.22 showed none available. The downloads page does as mr. Marcus pointed out.
I reported this directly to a contact at MOTU. Seems like MOTU would want to make sure this feature works as it's much more convenient than having to go check their website.

Personally, I'm eager for an update to their audio drivers now that I'm on Sonoma. My gut feeling tells me there *must* be some tweaking they could do to improve them since I *think* they pre-date Ventura. Perhaps even Monterey?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Thanks James and Mike,

Will go to the website to update. However, if I did not see the info here, I would not have know to have done so...;-)
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I heard back from a source at MOTU that since the 11.23 release was so specific and only applied to a relatively small number of users that are running Sonoma, that they elected not to trigger the built in update notification in DP. They have the capability, but chose not to "ding, ding" thousands and thousands of users around the world for a fix that wouldn't apply to over 90% of them I guess. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:03 pm [...]They have the capability, but chose not to "ding, ding" thousands and thousands of users around the world for a fix that wouldn't apply to over 90% of them I guess. :)
I took the plunge. So Far so good on Monterey. I didn't notice any sort of *snappier* behaviour, though :lol:
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

daniel.sneed wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:55 am
James Steele wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:03 pm [...]They have the capability, but chose not to "ding, ding" thousands and thousands of users around the world for a fix that wouldn't apply to over 90% of them I guess. :)
I took the plunge. So Far so good on Monterey. I didn't notice any sort of *snappier* behaviour, though :lol:
I know. What's up with that?

OTOH, Performer Lite was updated to 11.23 yesterday and I'm not noticing anything different. I'm pretty certain that none of my people are running Sonoma — not getting any "Mike, why doesn't : work now?" calls so I'm safe for the moment.