AVB Interfaces Losing Sync with Browser Mixer

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: AVB Interfaces Losing Sync with Browser Mixer

Post by EMRR »

I doubt it
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
rwandering
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by rwandering »

Did MOTU ever resolve this for you? I think I am seeing the same behavior and will be putting in a ticket.
Robert W. Anderson
----
MOTU 828es (had an Ultralite original, mk3, and AVB)
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
Presonus S1 (formerly Sonar)
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
Primarily play PRS, Gibson Les Paul & EC-30.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I only had this happen once recently. I have an 828es connected via a TB and a 24Ai connected to that via AVB/Ethernet. What was happening is that the 24Ai wasn't being seen on occasion, but I think I caused it by power cycling the 828es every so often if my Mac lost connection which was rare. What I do now is turn on both interfaces and wait till they sync together before I power up my Mac and I've been okay.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

Thank you for the quick response. I'm OK with the workaround when recording, but am going to be using my 828es as a live mixer and am worried about it stopping in the middle of a show. It probably won't matter as the levels *should* be locked in by the time it fails, but power cycling means a break in the action.
Robert W. Anderson
----
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Start Up and Shutdown Power Sequencing... came upon in another thread recently. Once I find a sequence that prevents issues, I follow it.

Every Time.
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

Yes, power cycling works, but is a poor solution generally, but especially considering the restart time of an 828es.
Robert W. Anderson
----
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

rwandering wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:52 pm Yes, power cycling works, but is a poor solution generally, but especially considering the restart time of an 828es.
I get that.

What I meant is: have you explored whether there may be a start up (power on) sequence for the computer and all attached gear that prevents the problem from appearing?

In my studio , everything gets powered up prior to booting my Mac. This prevents USB/Thunderbolt devices from demanding too much power from the Mac when I boot it, which can cause attached devices to be missed on startup.

There just might be a magic sequence that works for your setup. You may want to see if you can find it.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

No, I haven't tried that. In my live scenario I will just be using the ethernet connection to access it. In fact, that is all I ever use for the web interface (i.e., I don't use USB for that). The last time this happened, there was no host computer powered up at all. I'm not sure what other sequence I can try.
Robert W. Anderson
----
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

rwandering wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:37 pm No, I haven't tried that. In my live scenario I will just be using the ethernet connection to access it. In fact, that is all I ever use for the web interface (i.e., I don't use USB for that). The last time this happened, there was no host computer powered up at all. I'm not sure what other sequence I can try.
I see. Yes, I doubt that sequencing of start ups is going to make a difference. Out if ideas here, other than connecting via USB (if the interface is within 16' of a computer).

I bought my 828es not long after they were released. Early on I ran into an issue where my Mac (5,1 Mac Pro at the time, don't recall macOS version) would not find the 828 and I had to create a new user account to get thru to it. But this does not sound like your problem.

I was going to suggest trying different browsers, but it looks like you've already done that. I'm sure you've tried different Ethernet cables...

Since I moved to my M1 Mac Studio two years ago, I have had no connectivity issues whatsoever. I keep both Ethernet (local network, via my router and a switch) and Thunderbolt cables connected to the 828 at all times. Meters are working on the (fairly ancient) iPad I use to access the AVB Mixer. I like using then iPad because my DAW stays in focus on my Mac while the AVB Mixer is in focus on the iPad.

Hoping you and EMRR can get this sorted.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

Thank you for the information!
Robert W. Anderson
----
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

rwandering wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:37 pm No, I haven't tried that. In my live scenario I will just be using the ethernet connection to access it. In fact, that is all I ever use for the web interface (i.e., I don't use USB for that). The last time this happened, there was no host computer powered up at all. I'm not sure what other sequence I can try.
In this live configuration (no USB or TB) what are you using for browser/mixer access and how (direct cable, router, router+WiFi)? Have you tried using a static IP address on the es? You can set that in the Settings for the unit. How to enter a static IP is not very intuitive, but at least you always know where it is when using ethernet.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
rwandering

Post by rwandering »

To be clear, I will use this live for the first time in early May, so my experiences with this use case are minimal.

I have put the 828es into a portable rack unit, along with additional I/O through ADAT, and XLR and TRS patchbays. I will use a travel WIFI router plugged into the 828es on a LAN port (and leaving its WAN port unused). That router is configured with DHCP and to assign a fixed IP address to the 828es. This is better for me to keep the 828es with a dynamic IP so it is easily transferable between my home network and this wireless network (which have different subnets by design). I have tested this configuration and it works great . . . but I have not yet tested to see if I get the unresponsive mixer UI.
Robert W. Anderson
----
Helix & Clarett+Octopre
PreSonus MonitorStation
Event Biamplified 20/20
oneway

Post by oneway »

rwandering wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:58 am Did MOTU ever resolve this for you? I think I am seeing the same behavior and will be putting in a ticket.
No. They never got back to me after a certain point and I got bored of asking for an update every few months since they weren't responding. I thought of scheduling another phone support call but since leaving the browser window open works it has been low on my to-do list.

Good luck on the live gig! In my experience as long as a browser is always communicating with it things seem to work fine in my case.
trakzero

Post by trakzero »

I wish I could remember what I did to fix this. I don't seem to have to do anything special in later operating systems, but in macOS 10.14 I had to do something in the web browsers. I think it was smooth scrolling or something like that that was messing with the link. Same issue for me. Browser would be working fine for a while and then the meters would stop bouncing. I think it would respond to button clicks, just no visuals.

I had to have my first unit replaced. I suspect the AVB overheats the unit and it flakes out in various ways. Sometimes the damage is done. I disabled AVB as soon as I got my replacement and it's been flawless for 4 years now. Maybe this is why the new units don't have AVB?

Can't say for sure if the browser issues were just with the first unit or not. If my memory gets goat kicked, I'll post an update. Good luck!
jwilkie27612
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jwilkie27612 »

During rehearsal last night my browser mixer repeatedly became unresponsive. The meters rose/fell in time, but nothing could be clicked/dragged for editing. Simply hitting COMMAND-R to reload the page fixed the issue every time. Keeping multiple tabs SEEMS to help - one for the mixer, one for routing grid, one for device page.

I'm using the Brave browser. Does anyone know of.an issue-free browser to use instead (M3Pro MBP, MacOS 14.1)?