MOTU HARDWARE AVAILABILITY - MIA

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
aprael
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU HARDWARE AVAILABILITY - MIA

Post by aprael »

Except for a smattering of M Series interfaces, there has been an extreme shortage of professional line devices from MOTU. I contacted MOTU regarding availability and received a polite non-answer about when to expect the MOTU 828es or MOTU 1248. Having realized the AVB line was released in 2014, with nothing new in the design pipe, I wonder if MOTU is getting out of the pro-business altogether.

I recently installed a DP11 system with MERGING TECHNOLOGIES ANUBIS PRO and a stereo pair of Schoeps CMC6 for a client. The requirement was for the personal recording of a nine-foot Steinway concert grand. As it should be at this price point the sound quality via ethernet is outstanding. Although I have been waiting for my Sweetwater order of MOTU 1248 for months now I'm wondering if I should move on.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
MOTU Digital Performer 11 / Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, and 32-core Neural Engine/ macOS Ventura/ 128 GB RAM / Event B.A.S/ Genelec 8020c - 7050B 7.1 setup/ MOTU 896HD and 896 MK3/MTP AV/MTP EXPRESS/Roland TD-50 -boxes of cables/socks missing mate MOTU user since Performer V2.0 and yes, I still miss Unisyn!
HCMarkus

Re: MOTU HARDWARE AVAILABILITY - MIA

Post by HCMarkus »

Aprael, the supply chain issues that have been persisted for some time now have apparently bitten MOTU in the proverbial bottom. Love my 828es; sad others can't gain access to this excellent cost-effective tech. Hoping MOTU is able to source the parts they need and get this stuff back on the market soon.

As I've noted in this forum before, I recently purchased a power supply for my 828es direct from MOTU, figuring that, if anything is going to fail, the power supply is most likely. It was available for $30 + shipping. So I now have a backup ready to roll if needed.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
aprael

Post by aprael »

Having used MOTU hardware since purchasing the 2408 with PCI‑324 and having six others, I'll hold out a bit longer! The requirement for ATMOS mixing keeps me hoping it will be sooner rather than later!
MOTU Digital Performer 11 / Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, and 32-core Neural Engine/ macOS Ventura/ 128 GB RAM / Event B.A.S/ Genelec 8020c - 7050B 7.1 setup/ MOTU 896HD and 896 MK3/MTP AV/MTP EXPRESS/Roland TD-50 -boxes of cables/socks missing mate MOTU user since Performer V2.0 and yes, I still miss Unisyn!
thracks

Post by thracks »

I've been wondering too. I've had my eyes on getting a 1248/24i combo for maximum external synth connectivity. I understand the supply chain issue, but I wonder if reports of failing units had MOTU think about a redesign? Anyway, my 828x still works fine so I'm good. BTW that new Arturia AudioFuse 16 looks pretty sweet :wink: Competition is good
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

aprael wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:28 am Having used MOTU hardware since purchasing the 2408 with PCI‑324 and having six others, I'll hold out a bit longer! The requirement for ATMOS mixing keeps me hoping it will be sooner rather than later!
I just noticed your avatar image is broken. You might want to update it. You can now upload images here and don't need to host remotely if you don't want to, BTW. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
thracks

Post by thracks »

Thanks James!
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |