DP12 release date?

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP12 release date?

Post by pencilina »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:48 pm
Mostly what we can do is report issues with a plugin to MOTU, that actually helps, although there are ten other DAWs with larger user bases now, that's not really an issue, I could say without a doubt that's because every person writing music now owns at least one DAW. 20 years ago that wasn't the case, we were a niche group.

Plus, slightly unfair to compare plugin issues between Bitwig and DP, since Bitwig is by far the least likely to crash because of plugins, and it's maybe not possible for a DAW with PreGen and a significantly higher CPU performa to implement sandboxing.
I've reported so many issues with DP (not third party plugins) to MOTU over the years and practically all of them have been ignored so my faith in doing so is pretty low and I'd sacrifice some CPU for stability. Let's hope plugin handling gets a revamp in 12.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Although MOTU wasn't at NAMM, others were. The buzz word this year is AI and Muse Group is shouting it the loudest. Being flu$h and just having acquired Hal Leonard, they are planning to dominate how we make music (if they can). A big part of the plan is integration and proper licensing so that we can get paid for our IP. Scoring Notes has a number of recent articles on this. They're actively hiring AI engineers and I don't think they have to move to their Cyprus HQ.

Expect the next full versions of Audicity and Muse Score Studio (new name for the notation app as of NAMM) to incorporate AI components. The last versions of both no longer suck, but still have a long way to go—this is according to Muse Group, BTW. Whether the next AI enhanced versions are actually better or not, we'll have to see.

AVID ProTools/Sibelius, Alfred Music/Finale. Apple and Yamaha/Steinberg are making similar noises. I had nice conversations with all.

It would surprise me if MOTU wasn't paying close attention . The last thing I'd do is release DP 12 before one of the above makes their next move.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

pencilina wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:46 am I've reported so many issues with DP (not third party plugins) to MOTU over the years and practically all of them have been ignored so my faith in doing so is pretty low and I'd sacrifice some CPU for stability. Let's hope plugin handling gets a revamp in 12.
Looking at my tech links, I'm doing OK. Some things are out of their control, REX files for instance on Apple Silicon. Beyond that, most of the DP specific bugs have been addressed. Plugin wise, it's mostly stable if you aren't on the latest Mac OS, that's just a thing these days.

Yes, I would love some sort of improvements with plugins, but not at the cost of CPU, DP is neck and neck with Reaper these days and stomping Logic.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:43 pmSome things are out of their control, REX files for instance on Apple Silicon.
Nooo... say it isn't so Michael!

Is this just a DP thing or will Stylus not work on AS?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

monkey man wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:29 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:43 pmSome things are out of their control, REX files for instance on Apple Silicon.

Stylus works perfectly on AS Monkey.. don't fret!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:58 pm

Stylus works perfectly on AS Monkey.. don't fret!
Indeed. And even though there is no further development on Stylus, I think Spectrasonics recently released another update to it. It's been Apple Silicon native for a few iterations now and it's working just fine. I really love this plugin. I remember when I first got it many years ago, it felt like "cheating!"

BTW, Markus... are you into the SuperBowl? My gf will be out visiting and we're trying to figure out a good sports bar to watch the game. We'll be rooting for the 49ers though... so don't send us to a Chiefs fan hangout! Hahaha!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

That's good-to-know; thanks guys!

Michael Canavan

DP uses the Mac OS REX support, but it's not working in Apple Silicon, DP crashes right away when you load a REX file. Logic completely ignores them, Live has it's own way of dealing with them etc.

There are other applications that work with REX, Zynaptic Loop Editor batch converts them, RMX, and of course Reason Studio works just fine.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Stylus just uses drag-drop of MIDI phrases, not REX files, right? I use it all the time- Apple M1 and DP 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
Michael Canavan

greg328 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:15 pm Stylus just uses drag-drop of MIDI phrases, not REX files, right? I use it all the time- Apple M1 and DP 11

It uses REX files. There is Mac OS level support for REX in Apple Silicon. RMX, Reason, and a few other apps are capable of using it.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I thought REX files were sliced-up audio files that could be “time-stretched”. I haven’t (knowingly) used REX files for many years-maybe 15-20 years. I forget exactly how I incorporated them into DP, but I did.

I know that when I drag a Stylus RMX phrase over to a MIDI track in DP, it populates as MIDI data that triggers the audio content within Stylus RMX. Am I missing something?

Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
Michael Canavan

greg328 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:00 pm I thought REX files were sliced-up audio files that could be “time-stretched”. I haven’t (knowingly) used REX files for many years-maybe 15-20 years. I forget exactly how I incorporated them into DP, but I did.

I know that when I drag a Stylus RMX phrase over to a MIDI track in DP, it populates as MIDI data that triggers the audio content within Stylus RMX. Am I missing something?

Stylus RMX plays back REX files, even with Reason studios own REX Player you can drag MIDI to your DAW, A REX file is a combo MIDI and sliced audio file, proprietary format from Reason Studios (formerly Propellerheads), The main way to play a REX file is to use an instrument sampler that can use that format, i.e. RMX, REX Player, Ableton’s Simpler, Kontakt used to be able to use them though I haven’t checked recently.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Thanks for the clarification Michael. :wink:

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:28 pm BTW, Markus... are you into the SuperBowl? My gf will be out visiting and we're trying to figure out a good sports bar to watch the game. We'll be rooting for the 49ers though... so don't send us to a Chiefs fan hangout! Hahaha!
What's the "Super Bowl?" :lol: