2-Channel Interface comparison: M2, AIR 192|6, ProFx6v3 with iPad & SM7B

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

2-Channel Interface comparison: M2, AIR 192|6, ProFx6v3 with iPad & SM7B

Post by mikehalloran »

This was begun here:
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... 25#p605825

I decided to start another thread for this. The units below require drivers for Windows but work over CoreAudio on the Mac. The M2 Mac driver adds Loopback and slightly lower latency.
mikehalloran wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:51 am Did you get that UGREEN powered hub like I did?
stubbsonic wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:06 pm Yes. I've had it for a while. I just tried it with the M-Audio Air 192 6 plugged into the UGREEN and supplying the UGREEN with pretty generic 5V from a random charger (I don't know the amp rating-- but probably not more than 1A) and it worked fine, including phantom (well it didn't shut off when I switched phantom on. I didn't load the phantom with an actual mic-- so I don't know if that would have been a deal breaker.
mikehalloran wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:51 am USB 2 powered specs call for 5V 2A and most iPhone chargers now deliver this. I don't see a power requirement for the 192|6 but notice that my Zoom recorders require only 1A at 5V. I'll be trying without the hub and 15 & 18V chargers into the CCK to see if it can handle phantom and a mic that actually requires 48V. None of those wimpy 9V or 24V mics for this test, nosir! :rofl:
stubbsonic wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:12 am FWIW, Musician's Friend is having a special sale (Stupid Deal of the Day) for the M-Audio AIR 192|6 Audio/MIDI i/o for $69 today --9/1/23 --only. (Though, I've seen this particular deal before a couple times). The full price is $169.

I decided to pick one up at this price. I've been wanting to put together a small rig using a MIDI controller and an iPad for synths, FX, etc. I'm curious to see how the M-Audio compares -- especially with latency-- to the M4.
I finally made some time to compare my MOTU M2, Mackie ProFX6v3 and the M•Audio AIR 192|6 that I bought on sale. All are 2 I/O over USB 2. Rather than giving a blow-by-blow review, I'll talk about similarities and differences.

I wanted to check three things besides basic features: Compatibility with my Lightening iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd Gen, Gain staging, how it works with an SM7B. I used pairs of Groove Tubes 5sm, KSM 33, various Neuman and United Twin87 mics, some over 25 years old and bound to be more power hungry than others. Since all my AKG condensors run 9–52V, I didn't bother with those.

All three require the Apple USB 3 CCK to connect to my iPad—no surprises. From there, things got a little weird. Stubbs and I both have this cool UGREEN USB 3 Audio hub, unfortunately discontinued but can be found if one looks hard enough:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HP ... UTF8&psc=1

When I hooked up the M2 to my iPad, I powered the CCK with a 20W fast charger and cable. The M2 crashed as I engaged Phantom as expected so I inserted the UGREEN hub. As I was getting ready to connect a 5W/2A phone charger to the hub, the M2 lit up with phantom engaged no mater which mics I used. Removing the UGREEN made the M2 crash. OK... that's weird. I then substituted a 12W iPad charger for the 20W and got identical results. Since the charger in the CCK is required to keep the iPad charging, I didn't bother using a 5W or 10W. I never did connect the 5W to the UGREEN.

The AIR did not require the UGREEN in the chain for 48V phantom to work perfectly with the 12V iPad charger. Again, I tried many different pairs of mics to see if any had excess current draw.

The Mackie uses a wall wart so power to the CCK is not an issue—48V works fine.

The M•Audio AIR has a weird gain structure—the 192|6 and my my 192|14 are identical in this regards. Condenser mics work between the 8.5 and 9.5 positions on the dial. M•Audio has always had a reputation for being able to drive an SM7B and they do not disappoint if you can handle the fact that the adjustment range is between 9.5 and 9.75 on the input dial—really touchy! A Triton Fethead or cloudlifter isn't really necessary for gain but either gives a better impedance match for flatter response (and 25–27 dB gain).

The M2 and Mackie have standard gain response curves. Set the gain at 50% for condensers and go from there. The only way to get (barely) adequate gain on an SM7 is to peg the gain full and you will hear the unit's self-noise. The Triton can be found for $50.
https://www.amazon.com/TRITON-AUDIO-Fet ... ref=sr_1_3

The AIR 192|6 and Mackie have I/O blend controls for monitoring; the M2 does not.

The Mackie does not have MIDI but does have Loopback without drivers. The M2 requires the Mac drivers installed while it's not available on the 192|6 (my 192|14 does have Loopback without drivers).

The Mackie has built-in hard effects (!!!) plus a built in mixer and can send Mics 1/2 mono into both R/L with a switch. Higher track versions have pan pots. There's also a pair of Line/Instrument Ins and a 3.5mm TRS for mp3 players and audio out from my iPad or iPhone. Unfortunately, even the 33 channel version of ProFXv3 has only 2 Out/4 In over USB—clearly designed so that you can record your gig while performing so, while you can use those as interfaces, why would you? Too bad there's no MIDI.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Re: 2-Channel Interface comparison: M2, AIR 192|6, ProFx6v3 with iPad & SM7B

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for this report. Very useful info!!

(Some quotes got shifted near the top.)
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You’re welcome.

Since the new iPads don’t add anything I need, I went ahead and spent the $99 to get a new battery from Apple—since it’s glued in, they exchange for a refurb instead,

MOTU has made internal changes to both the M2 and M4 since 2020 so it’s quite possible that the power issue is a thing of the past. I’m not buying a new one to find out. Still weird that placing the UGREEN inline without an additional power brick did the trick. The M2 is the smallest, has MIDI and Loopback (with the installed drivers so not on an iPad). Including Performer Lite with actual Tech Support is a major plus.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detai ... -interface

This is the 20W iPad charger I used. Although the test results were no different between it and the standard 12W, it does charge the iPad faster with interfaces connected to the CCK. I have others as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08P ... =UTF8&th=1

Since I was testing an un-boosted SM7B, I got to hear the noise floor of all three. The AIR 192|6 was the quietest; Mackie the noisiest but, take that Shure out of the equation, and all three are quiet enough.

I’m a big fan of the I/O blend control. The M2 doesn’t have it while the others do (as does the M4).

Anyone who bought that AIR on sale made out big time. The 192|6 has the blend control and more gain for dynamic and ribbon mics plus MIDI— no loopback.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detai ... -interface

Anyone wanting to use a small interface live or with built-in effects should consider the Mackie ProFX6v3. No MIDI, though it does have Loopback over CoreAudio without drivers making it 2x4 instead of a 2x2 interface. Not bus powered and has On/Off switch (what a concept!).
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detai ... th-effects

I’ve no practical use for a 2x2 interface so will be selling all three soon… Perhaps I’ll keep the M2 since it’s smallest and sounds great.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It's surprising how many of these audio/MIDI devices don't have a dedicated power input.

Yes, it saves an extra hookup, but given how finicky iPads are, or how you might have some standalone use in mind (in some cases), why not just separate out the power or have the option.

In the past there were devices where you could use a switch to determine the power source. I liked that.

A friend was wanting to use his Zoom H6 to record drums, and was happy when I told him he could use it as a 6-input USB interface.

I've had a Zoom H2n for years, and have used it quite a bit for recording rehearsals, etc. (It's not a shabby little 2x2 interface). I only today realized I could connect the usb port to a charger and not need batteries. (Face-palm). How many batteries? So many. Of course, I'll now keep batteries in, just to hold the date/time stamp. Better late than never.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com