Menu bar requires a double click?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
JasonMorris
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Menu bar requires a double click?

Post by JasonMorris »

I cant tell if this is a bug or a feature, but suddenly accessing the menu (file, edit, view, etc) bar requires a double click.
DP is the only app on my mac that requires this. I feel like I probably pushed a key by mistake to turn on this feature, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to turn it off.

any ideas?
RME UFX II - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB - Digital Performer 11.22
cuttime

Re: Menu bar requires a double click?

Post by cuttime »

Have you upgraded to Sonoma?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
JasonMorris

Post by JasonMorris »

Indeed I did!
I read on MOTUs site that DP 'appeared' to be fully compatible, but I guess appearances can be deceiving.
I honestly wondered if I had turned on some sort of accessibility feature as a fumbled around on the keyboard.
Oh well. not the end of the world.
Thanks for chiming in!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

cuttime wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:08 pm Have you upgraded to Sonoma?
Are you saying that this (double click required) is happening for you or others on Sonoma, too?
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

HCMarkus wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:26 am
Are you saying that this (double click required) is happening for you or others on Sonoma, too?
I'm not on Sonoma and won't be for a good while. This issue was reported on a Social Media site that shall be unnamed.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:48 am
HCMarkus wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:26 am
I'm not on Sonoma and won't be for a good while. This issue was reported on a Social Media site that shall be unnamed.
It may have to do with Widgets now being available on the desktop. The first click gets the cursor onto the menu and the second click makes the selection.

This is a guess but I've seen it before when I was consulting to Apple many years ago (before OS 8.5?). If I am right, this is likely a MacOS issue that Apple will have to fix.

I have no compelling need to move to Sonoma yet.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

It's happening to me too. Been refinishing my floors in my studio so had the downtime anyway. I tend to use keyboard shortcuts. This is on an M2 Mac Studio and running DP in Rosetta.

A few things:

1 - Apple now has a default option that when you click the desktop, it activates Mission Control to move all your windows to the edges of your screen. I already have a keyboard shortcut for that and do not like this new behavior. I turned it off.

2 - I have no desktop widgets running. I like a clean desktop. Still happening.

I haven't done extensive testing because, yes, I am refinishing my floors. But I will when I get the chance next week!
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

JasonMorris wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:32 am Indeed I did!
I read on MOTUs site that DP 'appeared' to be fully compatible, but I guess appearances can be deceiving.
I honestly wondered if I had turned on some sort of accessibility feature as a fumbled around on the keyboard.
Oh well. not the end of the world.
Thanks for chiming in!
IMO this is not MOTU's fault, you're able to double click to get the menu, in Sonoma I'm getting the behavior that no Menu item works except the "Digital Performer" tab, and it then "unlocks" all the other menu tabs. So it's a Sonoma issue, not a MOTU one.

Ventura on the M2 here had some issues with stuttering audio in apps like youtube etc. Made me suspect of DP etc. so a menu issue in Sonoma is less of an issue to me than possible audio problems. Hopefully an update to Sonoma comes out relatively quickly.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
JasonMorris

Post by JasonMorris »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:08 pm This is a guess but I've seen it before when I was consulting to Apple many years ago (before OS 8.5?). If I am right, this is likely a MacOS issue that Apple will have to fix.
I have tested it with several DAWs and DP is the only one exhibiting this behavior.
I have no doubt its something apple did (they break things with every release) but I'm guessing MOTU will have to fix it.

It's not the end of the world. Not enough to make me roll back my OS. Of course who knows what else I will find? :D
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Thanks for the reporting Gents!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

JasonMorris wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:34 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:08 pm This is a guess but I've seen it before when I was consulting to Apple many years ago (before OS 8.5?). If I am right, this is likely a MacOS issue that Apple will have to fix.
I have tested it with several DAWs and DP is the only one exhibiting this behavior.
I have no doubt its something apple did (they break things with every release) but I'm guessing MOTU will have to fix it.

It's not the end of the world. Not enough to make me roll back my OS. Of course who knows what else I will find? :D
Don't bet the farm on MOTU finding it if OS related but they could... It could be like High Sierra where Apple broke things in 10.13.4 that didn't get fixed till Mojave 10.14.4 — let's hope not.

Rolling back the MacOS in Ventura or Sonoma may involve a complete restore from backup, unfortunately, so it's good that's not a compelling issue for you.

There may be another way to go from Sonoma to Ventura (but not to Monterey or earlier) without a complete Restore. I'm not going to attempt it till I sell this after getting my new Mac. I don't want to give the link because I know that some of the info is incomplete.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JasonMorris

Post by JasonMorris »

yeah I have all my data/projects on a separate drive and I have gotten pretty quick at reinstalling from scratch so it wont be the end of the world if I have to roll back. I dont do this for a living, so I can jump on a grenade from time to time. :)
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

JasonMorris wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:34 pm

Have to eat crow, tested and every other DAW isn't messing with the menus here either.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
JasonMorris

Post by JasonMorris »

this issue looks resolved in the latest DP update to 11.23 :)
dannyjm

Post by dannyjm »

by JasonMorris » 12 Oct 2023 09:11 pm

this issue looks resolved in the latest DP update to 11.23 :)

Ha! you must have early access I have everything updated and still have mandatory double click
Mac Mini M2Pro, 16G RAM; Midas M32R Mixer; UAD Quad Satellite x 2, UAD Volt 2x2, Mackie MCU and XTx2 +; Korg Krome 73; Roland VR-760; Yamaha Drum Set; Fender Bass; Guitars & Amps Galore; Selmer MarkVI Tenor sax; Yanigasawa Bari Sax; Selmer SA80 Jubilee Alto Sax. DP11.