Mismatched MIDI assignments after reloading

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
jimchik
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mismatched MIDI assignments after reloading

Post by jimchik »

This involves Vienna Pro Sever… And sorry, maybe a bit long-winded….

Honestly, I don’t know if this is a Vienna thing or Digital Performer thing… I’ve also emailed Vienna tech support, and this is largely a copy/paste from that email. Thanks in advance for weighing in

Working on a TV series with multiple episodes… All instrument PI’s are running through Vienna, on a networked machine. This is a new issue. Previously there have been no problems between Vienna and DP. And yeah, maybe it’s simply a corrupted chunk.

I opened up a project this morning and the MIDI assignments were all screwed up. Specifically, say, a flute track which should be assigned to the WW instance on channel 1-1, instead was assigned to a different instance, but with the same channel assignment. And that’s how it was for ALL my MIDI tracks (maybe 60 or so). As I was working on it last night, the assignments mysteriously also got totally screwed up (t some point after loading what should have been a simple tempo map…). Fortunately, going to a back-up saved me. Things were again all fine when I saved and closed the project last night. Not so this morning.

Another symptom, maybe, is that while 5 of the instances are preserved and uncoupled (being used across all episodes), there is one instance that I choose not to preserve and instead keep it for any episode specific needs (special instruments, SFX, etc…). This method has been working fine in previous episodes, but this morning, while the instance loaded and connected, the instruments did not load.

Other mismatched MIDI assignments mysteriously link to my controller kbd which has never been used for sound generation on these projects. And I can’t stress enough, these issue are new to this project. Working in the same way with previous projects has not been an issue. Audio output assignments were, thankfully, unaffected.

Sorry for the long-winded post and many thanks for helpful ideas.

James