ADAT question

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Drtheory
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ADAT question

Post by Drtheory »

I hope the following makes sense.

I have an older Mac Mini (10.14.6) that I use for my music production and I'm using an original MOTU 828mkii (Latest drivers for it).

My ADAT (TOSLink) cables, in and out, are going from the 828 into my Eurorack system via a BoredBrain Optix.

I'm linking my Eurorack hardware to VCV Rack on the computer. The audio in and out on VCV are set to MOTU 1-16 in and out.

Audio going into the computer is bypassing VCV completely and going straight to the main outs.

Audio coming out....isn't coming out out of VCV and no signal is being detected in VCV nor in the Optix.

On the CueMix, If I switch the Output to ADAT 1-2, I get signal going to and from the VCV, it works with my hardware. But again, it ignores VCV and the output is so strong, it's nothing but distortion. Turning down the ADAT 1-2 output just turns down the "loudness" of distortion. Using an attenuator has very little effect.

The INPUT ADAT signal is getting into the computer. I can see it in Cuemix, but of course, I can't hear it anymore. When I switch back to main outs, I of course can hear it. Based on the visuals from Cuemix, when I switch back to Output ADAT 1-2, the signal does not seem to distort or raise in volume. Steady signal either way.

Maybe it's the routing or lack of routing it the Cuemix that is causing my issues. Or my ignorance. I like the Cuemix much more than the new routing system, but alas it doesn't seem to work.

Most importantly why is the older system ignoring VCV, but the newer setup works perfectly? The older system works with Logic Pro 10.5.1 and with Reason 11 just fine.

I have a newer Mini and a newer MOTU interface with the new routing software. Everything is setup the exact same way and everything mentioned above works perfectly. YES, I could use this set up instead of the older Mini and older interface, but I would prefer the older equipment if I can get it to work.

Sign me, Stumped
mikehalloran

Re: ADAT question

Post by mikehalloran »

older Mac Mini
That descrimes a lot of different Macs. Which one?

How are you connecting the 828mkII?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Drtheory

Post by Drtheory »

Mac Mini, late 2012.

828mkii is connected to computer via FireWire.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Make sure that your FW ports have not collapsed by resetting the NV RAM.
Method
How to reset NVRAM

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately press and hold these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. You can release the keys after about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart.

On Mac computers that play a startup sound, you can release the keys after the third startup sound.
This doesn't always work the first time but you can check if your FW ports show up with the 828 attached in the System Report.

Reset your 828 to factory defaults.
828mkII: Disconnect Firewire. Press the Setup knob until the LCD screen reads "Clock Source". Turn the Setup knob all the way to the right. The LCD screen will read "Factory Defaults Press [SELECT]". Press the Select knob. The LCD screen will read "Are you sure? Push VAL for Yes". Press Value knob to confirm. The clock LED will flash when reset is complete.
Go through the setup in Apple's Audio MIDI Setup.app per the manual.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... al_Mac.pdf
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Drtheory

Post by Drtheory »

Thanks. I’ll give it a try
Drtheory

Post by Drtheory »

Procedure done

Prior to that, the computer and the 828mkii communicated via FireWire. Now no communication at all via FireWire.

I’ve checked connections, changed connections, 828mkii not found by computer.

Thoughts?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Drtheory wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:52 am Procedure done

Prior to that, the computer and the 828mkii communicated via FireWire. Now no communication at all via FireWire.

I’ve checked connections, changed connections, 828mkii not found by computer.

Thoughts?
If it was on my bench, we’d know in 5 minutes. But since we’re doing this remotely, gotta go down the list.

Try a different FW cable.

Reset the SMC by disconnecting all the cables including the power. Let set 15 minutes before reconnecting.

The settings battery is now 13 years old. A bad battery is worse than no battery at all. This has a BR2032 battery but a common CR2032 battery is ok if you’ve replaced the hard drive with an SSD. If the original hard drive is still in there, use a BR2032–available on Amazon. The BR is more heat resistant than the CR; electrically, they’re the same.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+ ... ment/11725

Reinstall the FireWire drivers. Reboot.

Check the FW ports in About this Mac. If they do not appear, reset the NV RAM again. I once had to do it three times with Apple Support on the line before it took. If they do appear, that’s not the problem.

Resetting the 828 to factory default snd turning it on should cause it to show up in Apple’s Audio MIDI Setup.app if the unit and cable are good and the correct drivers are installed. If there but greyed out, delete the profile. If the connection is good, this will rebuild the profile (don’t know why it works but it does). If active in Audio MIDI Setup.app, you should be able to find it in your DAW.

I bought my 828mkII on close out after the mk3 was announced at the January 2007 NAMM show. This makes the newest unit 17 years old.

If that Mini still has a mechanical hard drive, plan on replacing it with an SSD. It’s not the cause of this issue but I’ve never tested one in a 2012 that was still good after 3 years. I’ve replaced well over a hundred and I test every one.