The MIDI Human Feel

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ggm1960
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The MIDI Human Feel

Post by ggm1960 »

This has always been a bit of a caveat for me. I'd often started a new song recording a MIDI (typically piano) track. I'll just work to a click to maintain my momentum and keep it simple. Today however I really wanted to change that with a new song I've got that really requires more variation at a couple points; slow it down between the intro and 1st verse. I really wanted to just play it with the right timing feel and then adjust the overall sequence timing later. I think there may be two or three methods for doing that but I really didn't know where to start. There are a myriad of videos where people adjust timing/tempo to audio tracks after the fact and similar things but I don't want to alter the tempo of my MIDI after I've recorded it and I didn't want to alter the MIDI data I'd recorded, it had the feel I wanted.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/znh2lc56 ... pja4m&dl=0

The big issue is that I want my verse measure to start at 9-16th's into measure 31. I came up with the idea of changing measure 31 to 9/16 which worked ok but there must be other, better ways perhaps. I'd be interested to know if others run into this and what they have for methods.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1zpz962a ... bw6ii&dl=0

Another problem for me is that my images don't go into the post as I would expect.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 2.27.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 2.27.22 PM.png (553.4 KiB) Viewed 704 times
Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 2.27.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 2.27.22 PM.png (553.4 KiB) Viewed 704 times
greg328

Re: The MIDI Human Feel

Post by greg328 »

Try Record Beats? I think that feature preserves your performance timing but moves beats and bar lines to get it on the grid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Some years ago Magic Dave posted a series of 5 videos on MOTU TV (Youtube) where he showed how to use the various features in DP to create a tempo map. In that he takes a freely recorded track and then create a tempo map for the sequence using it. The timing of the original recording is preserved and the sequence follows it properly.

More recently, in the past couple of weeks, someone posted a link to a MOTU master class where some unusual pauses and tempo changes are managed by insertion of time signature changes.

Between these two, it would seem to deal with what you to do. It’s not simple to do the first couple of times, but they’ve worked for me. If you have to do a lot of this, its worth the time to develop a reliable work flow for these situations.

In my case, I don’t follow the technique shown in the master class. When there is pause or an unusual passage, I manually calculate the tempo required to get from the start to the end of unusual passage in a regular number of beats using the time signature, then make sfine adjustments with Adjust Beats.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
ggm1960

Post by ggm1960 »

greg328 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:00 pm Try Record Beats?
This might be a better solution, I found an article that seems to describe what I wanted to do; https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... -performer