Having an issue with routing busses back into DP 10

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
red1
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Having an issue with routing busses back into DP 10

Post by red1 »

Hi. I'm using DP 10.13 with OS 13.1 and using an M4 as my interface. I hope this makes sense, I have a problem routing tracks back into DP to a stereo mix down.

For example, I'll have two mono tracks assigned to Bus 1&2 out. Then I have a stereo track that will be my mixdown track and I have the input set to Bus 1&2. The output of that stereo track is set to Main Out L-R. I'm not getting any input from my mono tracks that are assigned to Bus 1-2 into my stereo mixdown track.

Logically I was thinking that Bus 1-2 out from any track should show up in my stereo mixdown track if that track has Bus 1-2 as an input. But I get nothing. Any suggestions on routing to get this to work?

Thanks!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Having an issue with routing busses back into DP 10

Post by James Steele »

If the stereo track is a stereo audio track, I'm assuming you have rec-enabled the stereo track? Otherwise, I'm not sure you will see or hear any input. You can also create an Aux track alongside the stereo audio track, and set its input to Bus 1&2 and you should be able to monitor through the Aux without any issues. Not in front of DP right now so shooting from the hip.

FYI, you might know this already but if you want you can give your buses more descriptive name by going into the Bundles window (Shift + U) and then renaming them there.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Having an issue with routing busses back into DP 10

Post by HCMarkus »

Maybe this will help (from a prior thread):

Here's how I set DP up so overall playback level is controlled by a single fader. I do this with Auxes as follows:

In Bundles, set up the following Stereo Buses: Master, Record and Monitor.
Add two Aux Tracks in DP: Master and Monitor.
Add an Audio Track in DP: Mix

All Audio and VI Outputs in DP are routed to Master Bus > Master Aux Track in DP Mixer.
Insert Mastering plugins here when mixing if desired. Do Not Insert Mastering Plugins with Look Ahead until you are done recording VIs; they will cause latency,

Master Aux Track Output > Record Bus

Record Bus > Mix Audio Track (to record mixes)

Record Bus > Monitor Bus (Input to Monitor Aux Track in DP mixer) which is routed to Interface (Speakers/Headhpones).
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31