New Komplete Kontrol S Series Mk3 keyboards announced!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New Komplete Kontrol S Series Mk3 keyboards announced!

Post by James Steele »

Well here's a little update.

I mentioned previously my thought that it might be a really good time for me to grab myself an S88 Mk2 on the used market, with the idea that the announcement of the Mk3 would cause used prices to drop significantly, and I can live without the features of the Mk3... at least in the near term.

So I noticed that Native Instruments is selling refurbished "B stock" S88 Mk2s directly on Reverb.com that come with software (I don't really need that, but cool) and 90-day warranty.

https://reverb.com/item/60278914-native ... ol-s88-mk2

They're advertising them for $599 with free shipping. So I decided to "watch" the listing. Almost immediately I get sent an "offer" privately (this is how a seller "drops his/her drawers" on Reverb without everyone knowing) to buy one for $539 and free shipping. I have 48 hours to respond and I'm seriously considering countering at $500 and free shipping. What makes me hesitate, is that I would not be surprised if they actually accept!

I don't know how many of these refurbs they have, but if you're interested in scoring a deal on a used refurb, you might want to go "watch" this listing. No doubt you'll be made an offer. I might even counter with something crazy like $450 and see what NI does. They're probably motivated to get rid of these as the Mk3s start shipping.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I suppose that makes sense strategically, you'll never fetch a higher price for those Mk2's than right now, I suppose.

And putting them over on the used gear site means they're less likely to be marketing to people who are looking to buy new.

I'm going to pause and see some critical reviews of the unreleased korg are like. I'm leaning that way.

If it has a similar action to the Hydra, then perhaps I should seek opinions on how folks like that keyboard's feel & response. One person I know is happy with it, but I know they aren't as fussy as me.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I put in a lowball offer of $450 with free shipping. I wouldn’t make such an offer to an individual, but since it’s Native Instruments there’s a chance that they’re motivated to clear out their refurb inventory and just might dump them. The 90 day warranty doesn’t suck either.

If I’m successful I’ll report back. $450 would be a pretty sweet deal.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: I have an M-Audio Axiom 49 I bought used. It is plagued by loud keyboard clack, but comes in handy on the desk in front of me when I'm doing simple stuff as opposed to playing more intricate parts. The Expression Pedal input is wonky, so I use one of the Keylab pedal inputs in its stead.
Being the guy who sold it to you, I feel bad about that! I didn’t know. I’ll happily give you your money back or a partial refund to make up for the expression pedal issue if you still want to keep it and work around that issue. I never used that feature… only a sustain pedal. As you can imagine, I’d never knowingly sell a piece of gear with issues. That’s a point of integrity that has occasionally cost me when someone has foisted a piece of gear with issues onto me. I always disclose issues.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 4:08 pm
HCMarkus wrote: I have an M-Audio Axiom 49 I bought used. It is plagued by loud keyboard clack, but comes in handy on the desk in front of me when I'm doing simple stuff as opposed to playing more intricate parts. The Expression Pedal input is wonky, so I use one of the Keylab pedal inputs in its stead.
Being the guy who sold it to you, I feel bad about that! I didn’t know. I’ll happily give you your money back or a partial refund to make up for the expression pedal issue if you still want to keep it and work around that issue. I never used that feature… only a sustain pedal. As you can imagine, I’d never knowingly sell a piece of gear with issues. That’s a point of integrity that has occasionally cost me when someone has foisted a piece of gear with issues onto me. I always disclose issues.
James, forget about it... it is a complete non-issue for me; my Arturia Keylab Mk II has a plethora of pedal inputs, so I simply use one of those.

Keep your money, and I'm buying lunch next time. :D

PS: If your conscience is bothering you (it shouldn't be), you can always give Doris a bonus.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:10 amJames, forget about it... it is a complete non-issue for me; my Arturia Keylab Mk II has a plethora of pedal inputs, so I simply use one of those.
I know man... and you've told me that before. I just regret that it had any issue at all. I don't think I ever tried to connect an expression pedal to it, just a sustain pedal because I'm such a crappy keyboard player, I can't change chords quickly enough without it! :lol: Looking forward to lunch tomorrow!

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

It just happened!!! Bottom just fell out on the Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2...

I was watching this listing (which is from NI's own official Reverb.com store) that had been $599. Soon as I watched it they sent me an offer for $539. I figured what the heck and counter offered at $450. They let it expire. I wrote to them and an NI rep said "Wait till early next week." Well I checked just now and the S88 Mk2 refurb B-Stock units are now $429 with FREE SHIPPING!! Comes with software (if you need it) and 90-day warranty.

Sorry... that's too good to pass up. I just ordered one and split payments into for with PayPal's Pay in Four feature. Here's the link. They will probably sell fast:

https://reverb.com/item/60278914-native ... ol-s88-mk2