Can Automator or Some Progam Make a Sequence of DP Commands?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
drburt2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by drburt2 »

Long, long ago, in a DAW far away (Vision) I made a macro program (in "QuicKeys") that could, with one keystroke, execute a series of commands that help me automate some composing/arranging maneuvers I needed to do.

For example,:

1. Select Track 1 which has 6 note chords
2. Split the notes so the top note of each chord is on Track 2, next note on Track 3 etc
3. Shift tracks 2-7 an 8th note later
4. Shift tracks 3-7 an 8th note later
5. continue to shoft Track 7 an 8th

Automator requireds the "library' of commands to be published. Has anyone found how to do this with DP?

Or is there some current app, in this universe, that does this kind of thing now?
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don't know about all of that. I think the app developer has to adapt the app so that Automator can access certain functions?

Anwyay... FWIW, I *do* know that Keyboard Maestro has replaced QuickKeys as the primary macro app for Macintosh. You can do a lot of things with it, but not sure it can do all that you need it to do in your example.

https://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
drburt2

Post by drburt2 »

Thanks James for the fast response! I am glad you heard of Quickeys and could recommend a 21st Century replacement. I am diving into it now!
drburt2

Re: Can Automator or Some Progam Make a Sequence of DP Commands?

Post by drburt2 »

Thanks James - Keyboard Maestro is a worthy successor to Quickeys!

Now the limitation seems to be from 'inside the house"!

Does DP have a "library" of commands [that some programs have] that Automator on the Mac needs to access for its work? Applescript used to use this 'libary' also. I see obviously the COMMANDS page in DP.
Last edited by drburt2 on Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

How about Shift-Alt- Up and Down Arrow?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

Yes, you can- the app does not necessarily have to be scriptable. I've got some sequences that I usr for auto placement of markers from region boundaries in a track in the Sequence editor that I did by using the Record function in Automator and then massaging the commands as needed. I'd be happy to send that workflow, but here's a screen shot:
Attachments
automator markers from regions.png
automator markers from regions.png (117.11 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
drburt2

Post by drburt2 »

Thanks baywater - That works to select an adjacent track.

Still looking for a library of commands like the ones Applescript and Automater can use on a Mac.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

drburt2 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:08 pm Still looking for a library of commands like the ones Applescript and Automater can use on a Mac.
Would that be different from what is in the Commands window?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

You can do this without needing a library with AppleScript or automator or ,even easier, with keyboard maestro.

The trick is in the initial setup:

To split the notes how you want go to the Region Menu select "Split Notes...".
Set this up to:
Get the notes using: Cut
Send the notes to: One new track
Under Pitch criterion select Top notes of each chord
Save this as a preset using the min drop down menu in the upper right corner. Then under the same menu select
"Set Presets Keybindings"
This will open the Comands Window where you can add key shortcut to the preset you just made.

To move the notes open the Commands Window and search for "Time Shift...". (this is different than the shift window) There is no key command for it so you can add one to open it.
Select Earlier or Later and by how much then same as before save it as a preset and add a key command to it.

Now you can perform these steps of your process with these new key commands.

I think to do this it would be best to manually select the track you want to process and then show only that track. This will make it easier to select and move subsequent tracks.
bleach30

Post by bleach30 »

A quick vid of a macro I made in keyboard maestro doing what I think you want to do...or at least the idea.

select the MIDI track first
It asks the number of notes you want to split (Number notes in the chord)
Then shows only that selected track and proceeds to split out and move the notes using the presets and key commands previously set up in "Split Notes" and "Shift"

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/jkc2rf3z ... im6rx&dl=0
SMS

Post by SMS »

Plus one for Keyboard Maestro. I have yet to find anything that QuickKeys used to do that keyboard maestro doesn’t do. In addition keyboard maestro has limited MIDI capability i.e. it can send basic data to an app.

There’s also quite a bit of online support, including ways to integrate Apple script and I think other scripting languages so I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to do it anything you need to do with it.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
drburt2

Post by drburt2 »

Hi bleach,

I'd love to see your video but Dropbox says it's gone.

Also I'd like to see the actual KM code.

I'd like to make a macro that takes a staff of four note chords and splits it into Fl Ob Cl Bsn with one click. Did you ever make such a macro?