Just bought a Macbook Pro M2 Max 96gb RAM 2tb SSD

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

alansende
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Just bought a Macbook Pro M2 Max 96gb RAM 2tb SSD

Post by alansende »

Hey everyone, hope all is well!

I just ordered this machine and since I have a couple of weeks before arrival I have enough time to prepare all the software and dongles needed.

I'm currently using my "trusty" Macbook Air M1 2020 with just 8gb ram and 256gb ssd at my studio. I'm REALLY impressed with this computer since I got it. I purchased it mainly as a back-up of my old Mac Mini 2018 with 32 gb ram and 2tb SSD when I moved from Buenos Aires to Madrid last year. But it became my daily computer for everything.

I compose music for film, TV series and advertisings. And while this incredible little thing can digest most of the work I feed to I'm obviously getting to its limits with some large projects. Don't get me wrong, I'm super surprised that I could work and make actual money with a 1000 usd machine, but it's time to upgrade to a beast.

After debating between a Mac Studio Ultra and this Macbook Pro I took the plunge and bought the second just based on mobility.

I'm still with Big Sur and DP 11 on the M1 but I know the new one will come with Ventura (hope so) or Sonoma preinstalled. I use UAD plugins and interfaces and a lot of external synths and MIDI things.

What are your recommendations?

Best!

Alan

PD: these are my studios, both Madrid and Buenos Aires

www.cromomusica.com - DP 11 - Macbook Pro M2 Max 96GB Ram 2TB - Focal Trio 6BE - Avalon 747 - Universal Audio - Audient ASP800 - TC Clarity M - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 MKII - Kemper Profiler - Fender Rhodes MKI 1977 - Moog Slim Phatty - Moog Subsequent 37 - Prophet Rev 2 - DSI Mono Evolver - Fender Am Std Tele - Fender Am Pro Strat - D'Angelico Deluxe Bedford P90 - Ibanez JSM10 - Fender P Bass - Fender Mustang Vintera - Beaudoux PA1 - Taylor GS Mini - Zaor, Mixingtable & Raventos Design
MrFresh

Re: Just bought a Macbook Pro M2 Max 96gb RAM 2tb SSD

Post by MrFresh »

Extremely nice setup. I have composed music for a YouTube mini series and hope to get to your level one day. I'm currently running an M1 Mac Mini 2020 with 16 GB of RAM and 256 GB internal SSD, primarily using Logic X and Native Insruments products. So far, no real issues, but I hope to purchase a Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB configuration. By the time I purchase it, it will come with Sonoma (most likely since I plan to buy directly from Apple). My only hope is that the MOTU Audio Installer will work under Sonoma so I can continue using my trusty 828X interface!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Nice setup. I liked that desk… and the old school Rhodes!!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
alansende

Post by alansende »

MrFresh wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:24 pm Extremely nice setup. I have composed music for a YouTube mini series and hope to get to your level one day. I'm currently running an M1 Mac Mini 2020 with 16 GB of RAM and 256 GB internal SSD, primarily using Logic X and Native Insruments products. So far, no real issues, but I hope to purchase a Mac Studio M2 Max, 64GB, 1TB configuration. By the time I purchase it, it will come with Sonoma (most likely since I plan to buy directly from Apple). My only hope is that the MOTU Audio Installer will work under Sonoma so I can continue using my trusty 828X interface!
Thanks! We have a very similar Mac Mini in one of our studios, but mainly used for sound design and audio post in Pro Tools.
James Steele wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:32 pm Nice setup. I liked that desk… and the old school Rhodes!!! Image
Thank you James! The desks at our studios in Madrid are the "Onda Angled" from Zaor, with custom trays ordered for the keyboards. They're awesome. And the huge desk at Buenos Aires' studio (next to my loved Fender Rhodes MK I from 1977) was built by an argentine woodworker named Raventos Design, with custom wooden racks on top of it by Mixingtable.com
www.cromomusica.com - DP 11 - Macbook Pro M2 Max 96GB Ram 2TB - Focal Trio 6BE - Avalon 747 - Universal Audio - Audient ASP800 - TC Clarity M - NI Komplete Kontrol S61 MKII - Kemper Profiler - Fender Rhodes MKI 1977 - Moog Slim Phatty - Moog Subsequent 37 - Prophet Rev 2 - DSI Mono Evolver - Fender Am Std Tele - Fender Am Pro Strat - D'Angelico Deluxe Bedford P90 - Ibanez JSM10 - Fender P Bass - Fender Mustang Vintera - Beaudoux PA1 - Taylor GS Mini - Zaor, Mixingtable & Raventos Design
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Way cool. Many of us will be quite interested in how much of a performance boost you'll see on the audio side. The AV side should see a big boost. You will be able to run an additional monitor without a problem.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
alansende

Post by alansende »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:02 pm Way cool. Many of us will be quite interested in how much of a performance boost you'll see on the audio side. The AV side should see a big boost. You will be able to run an additional monitor without a problem.
Thanks for bringing this up, Mike. I forgot to mention that one of the biggest reasons for this upgrade is to be able to use the 4K TV I have above my main ultrawide monitor as a display for the films I'm working with. The M1 Air cannot handle these two external monitors very well, skipping frames and playing very choppy video. I ended up just using the ultrawide both for DP and the video monitor but I hope this will be addressed soon when the new mac arrives... And I also plan to add a third monitor for VIs/Mixing sooner than later (or maybe just open the lid of the Macbook Pro instead of working always in clamshell mode :lol: )
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

What great looking studios. Madrid and Buenos Aires? Not just bi-costal, but bi-continental!

Where can we hear your work Alan?

Gavin
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
alansende

Post by alansende »

gavspen wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:41 am What great looking studios. Madrid and Buenos Aires? Not just bi-costal, but bi-continental!

Gavin
Haha thanks Gavin! It all started in my living room back in 2015, so really proud of my life at the moment.

I don’t know where do you live, but I’m sure you can check Netflix’s “Love after Love”, a music biopic series from a rockstar legend from Argentina called Fito Páez. I composed the original soundtrack for the show. That’s my latest music aired.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Do you mean Love After Music? I get no hits from Love after Love with Fito Páez. But Netflix has Love After Music with Fito Páez.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
alansende

Post by alansende »

bayswater wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:40 pm Do you mean Love After Music? I get no hits from Love after Love with Fito Páez. But Netflix has Love After Music with Fito Páez.
Sorry, you’re absolutely right! I just translated it badly since in Spanish the name is “El Amor Después del Amor” :?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

alansende wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:18 pm
Thanks for bringing this up, Mike. I forgot to mention that one of the biggest reasons for this upgrade is to be able to use the 4K TV I have above my main ultrawide monitor as a display for the films I'm working with. The M1 Air cannot handle these two external monitors very well, skipping frames and playing very choppy video. I ended up just using the ultrawide both for DP and the video monitor but I hope this will be addressed soon when the new mac arrives... And I also plan to add a third monitor for VIs/Mixing sooner than later (or maybe just open the lid of the Macbook Pro instead of working always in clamshell mode :lol: )
So is it working out for you the way you hoped?
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

alansende wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:58 am
gavspen wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:41 am What great looking studios. Madrid and Buenos Aires? Not just bi-costal, but bi-continental!

Gavin
Haha thanks Gavin! It all started in my living room back in 2015, so really proud of my life at the moment.

I don’t know where do you live, but I’m sure you can check Netflix’s “Love after Love”, a music biopic series from a rockstar legend from Argentina called Fito Páez. I composed the original soundtrack for the show. That’s my latest music aired.
What about the website in your sig? (www.cromomusica.com) I assume some (all?) of the work there is yours, no?
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
alansende

Post by alansende »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:17 pm So is it working out for you the way you hoped?
Unfortunately I’m still waiting for it to deliver… it seems it comes directly from China to the Apple reseller here in Spain since it’s a customized computer that isn’t in stock regularly 🥴
gavspen wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:19 am What about the website in your sig? (www.cromomusica.com) I assume some (all?) of the work there is yours, no?
Yes it is :)
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

I'm extremely-jelly!

What fantastic rooms you have brother.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

monkey man wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:11 pm I'm extremely-jelly!

What fantastic rooms you have brother.
Amen!