Right-Click the System Settings icon in the dock!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Right-Click the System Settings icon in the dock!

Post by James Steele »

I had no idea this worked nor when it was implemented, but I learn something new all the time.

You can right-click (or hold down the Ctrl key and click) the System Settings icon in the dock and an alphabetized menu of the system settings pops up! I never knew this until today!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Phil O

Re: Right-Click the System Settings icon in the dock!

Post by Phil O »

Wow. Thanks. Should put it in the tips sheet.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

You peaked my interest, what I didn't know is something similar is true of the finder. I get a list of "recent" places if I right click the finder icon. Since I've recently been going to the audio folder it's there etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I had taken the System Preferences off the doc, because I can always access it from the apple menu. But I just put it back, now that you've hipped me to this tip!!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Noice!
mothra

Post by mothra »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:59 am You peaked my interest, what I didn't know is something similar is true of the finder. I get a list of "recent" places if I right click the finder icon. Since I've recently been going to the audio folder it's there etc.
Man you're lucky if you didn't know that was there. That's how you restart the Finder when it crashes and hangs on you hehe. Had to use that PLENTY of times over the years! :lol:
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
Michael Canavan

mothra wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:29 pm
Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:59 am You peaked my interest, what I didn't know is something similar is true of the finder. I get a list of "recent" places if I right click the finder icon. Since I've recently been going to the audio folder it's there etc.
Man you're lucky if you didn't know that was there. That's how you restart the Finder when it crashes and hangs on you hehe. Had to use that PLENTY of times over the years! :lol:
You can restart the Finder from the Force Quit menu, so that's how I've always done it.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Am I the only one who hates the Dock? I have it minimized and hidden with a delay to appear. It does nothing but get in my way. I use Spotlight as an app launcher. Couldn’t be simpler. The Finder supplies all my file needs. Everyone is different, of course, but it always surprises me when I see a video from an industry mover-shaker with a multi monitor setup who has the Dock big and bold, and permanently taking up a huge amount of screen real estate. I guess it’s some kind of old Apple habit thing?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Michael Canavan

cuttime wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:23 pm Am I the only one who hates the Dock? I have it minimized and hidden with a delay to appear. It does nothing but get in my way. I use Spotlight as an app launcher. Couldn’t be simpler. The Finder supplies all my file needs. Everyone is different, of course, but it always surprises me when I see a video from an industry mover-shaker with a multi monitor setup who has the Dock big and bold, and permanently taking up a huge amount of screen real estate. I guess it’s some kind of old Apple habit thing?
Sure I do that for anything that shows up right away, I have maybe 12 items on my (hidden) dock though, and it's mostly just music applications, or applications like the Logitech mouse settings App that's dumbly named "Logi Options", which made it a PITA to search a few times, so it stays in the dock.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

This will only work if one doesn't have (in System Preferences) General / Recent Items (Documents, Apps and Servers) set to "None".

Just a heads-up in case someone finds him or herself scratching his or her head.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:23 pm Am I the only one who hates the Dock? I have it minimized and hidden with a delay to appear. It does nothing but get in my way. I use Spotlight as an app launcher. Couldn’t be simpler. The Finder supplies all my file needs. Everyone is different, of course, but it always surprises me when I see a video from an industry mover-shaker with a multi monitor setup who has the Dock big and bold, and permanently taking up a huge amount of screen real estate. I guess it’s some kind of old Apple habit thing?
You might want to check out XMenu:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/xmenu/id419332741?mt=12

I keep my dock hidden and a lot of times I use XMenu instead. You can set up your own categories of apps, etc. to launch. I'm probably not using it to fullest, but here's a screen shot:

XMenu.jpg
XMenu.jpg (95.94 KiB) Viewed 1856 times

Oh... and it's FREE which is amazing considering how useful it is. I'd have happily coughed up $1.99 or $2.99 for this.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

James Steele wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:47 am You might want to check out XMenu:

Oh... and it's FREE which is amazing considering how useful it is. I'd have happily coughed up $1.99 or $2.99 for this.
Wow. Thanks for this tip!

I mostly use the dock, occasionally spotlight or just browse directly to the app in finder. XMenu seems like a nice alternative. I might try it on my older machine just to get a feel for it, first.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com