NI Guitar applications

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
midilance
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

NI Guitar applications

Post by midilance »

I have Komplete Ultimate 14 and am completely blown away with what can be done with "Session Guitarist - Electric Sunburst Deluxe" and "Electric Mint." Just sayin'.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
greg328

Re: NI Guitar applications

Post by greg328 »

They are indeed cool and useful but require a bit of study to get them to work well in an arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I have all of the Session products - including all the guitars and basses. They are all great.

Most of the Session Guitarist libraries, and both of the bass libraries, have two "modes" - "Melodic" which allows you to play the guitar or bass just as you would any virtual instrument while at the same time allowing you to trigger the phrases within a pattern, and the Standard mode which is the patterns only.

It takes some practice, but ""Melodic" mode really is the way to go because you can play your own parts AND reach for a pattern phrase whenever you want. So I might call up a funky Strat pattern while in Melodic mode, and mostly play my own lines and strums, etc., every so often triggering one of the pattern phrases. It gives you the best of both worlds..because you aren't restricted to JUST the pattern phrases, and yet when you need them, there they are. Also, it is easy to overlook the voicing options - there are. multiple voicing options, and choosing different ones yields a big change in how the pattern sounds. You can also switch the playback mode so it will play a specific chord progression or phrase over and over.

Many of the patterns aren't what you could play from a MIDI keyboard, they're what guitarists would play, because they actually are phrases played by guitarists and then processed into slices so the phrases/patterns will play at any tempo you choose for your project. It's really a genius concept, and light years beyond what the other virtual guitar products give you.

I usually kill the onboard amp/effects in the Session Guitarist products, as the guitar amp/effects are really watered down Guitar Rig hand-me-downs that don't sound as good as something like Tonex or Neural amp sims. Running a Session Guitarist track into Tonex for the most part these days..and the result has been good enough to fool a lot of people who listen to my tracks, including guitar players.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Great info thank u!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.