Tips for setting up a new M2 max Mac Studio?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
davedempsey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Tips for setting up a new M2 max Mac Studio?

Post by davedempsey »

I have just acquired an M2 Max Studio - standard model 32gb and 512 storage - for a great price, unopened box/unwanted gift. I’m about to set it up with DP and DSP Quattro, Waves, Izotope, Plugin Alliance, Softube, Zynaptiq and NI plugs - no VIs. I’ll only be doing mixing, stem and/or stereo mastering as I can no longer play keys or guitar due to a recent diagnosis of ALS.
Any tips and suggestions that will help me get everything running smoothly with minimum fuss will be greatly appreciated as I have low energy levels and limited stamina nowadays.
☮️❤️🎼
Dave
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Tips for setting up a new M2 max Mac Studio?

Post by James Steele »

Congratulations on the new Mac. My only input would be that I would do a fresh install of the apps. I would not use migration assistant. You’ve got a brand new computer so keep it pristine. Again, you will enjoy it. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

What James said. Make sure to download all the Apple Silicon Native plugins. Enjoy!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

HCMarkus wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:13 pm What James said. Make sure to download all the Apple Silicon Native plugins. Enjoy!
Should I avoid the plugins that aren't or will Rosetta 2 look after that? There's some Plugin Alliance that aren't native and a few Izotope.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Based on my experience, I believe almost all non-Apple Silicon Native plugins will work well under Rosetta2 with DP11 running Native. I only had a couple (BFD3 and three from Boz) that did not work unless DP was run in Rosetta Mode. BFD3 is now Native; Boz is still lagging.

The only plugin I now run under Rosetta is Altverb 7. It works well, but DP must be run in Rosetta Mode to authorize it. You can choose to run DP under Rosetta in the DP App "Get Info" screen. Check the "Rosetta" box, boot DP, authorize Altiverb, close DP de-select "Run in Rosetta", re-boot your Mac, and Altiverb should appear when you run DP again.

There is a $3.00 App (Apple App Store) called PlugInfo that will display info about and let you locate all audio plugins on your Mac. Recommended. It is also available for free here (but why not support the developer for $3.00?) https://www.thinkersnacks.com/as-pluginfo.html
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

I just did this.

What James and Markus said.

Fresh install everything. It took me two days but it was worth it. Also, for external storage, there are some great options. If you need speed (for Photos Library or video editing) there's Envoy Express Pro FX (2800/MB/s). Also OWC Envoy Express (1550MB/s) which uses NVMe.2 blades - external Thunderbolt enclosure. https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt Plenty of cheaper options too there and elsewhere.

I use a slow spinner 8TB for Time Machine backups and a 4TB slow spinner for Carbon Copy Cloner as a second backup option. I have a 4TB internal.

Have fun!
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
davedempsey

Post by davedempsey »

Thank you gentlemen. I’m up and running and very happy with workflow and abundance of cpu grunt. The only problem I had was caused by Acoustica ViennaSystemwide which was interrupting core audio device selection and clocking, causing Motu Audio System crashes. I was using the au plugin of Vienna to compensate my Planar headphones but Systemwide was self-selecting as an additional audio device and the clock source. Uninstalling Systemwide settled that disagreement 😀.
I’ve been working on a live recording of Hat Fitz and Cara, which I made when I provided audio production for a Blues on the Water harbour cruise here on Sydney harbour back in 2017. The beautiful old wooden boat presented problems - the low frequency hum of the diesel engine in every mic channel and the constant changing level of audience noise being the most problematic. I’ve been using some AI assisted plugs to minimise these characteristics without damaging the performance. These plugs are very cpu hungry but this mac studio is not even starting to work hard. Cheers, Dave.