Simulating up-strum and down-strum on guitar chords in MIDI.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
midilance
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Simulating up-strum and down-strum on guitar chords in MIDI.

Post by midilance »

With a down-strum the picked notes hit from the high strings down and the up-strums just the opposite. I am wanting to try to simulate this in MIDI with just a couple of tics between each note in a strum. I know this sounds weird but I just want to try it. The question is, is there a way to play in the chord and have the notes all have a predetermined space in between them and then, for the next strum, set it up in reverse? Go ahead and laugh. I just want to try it.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Simulating up-strum and down-strum on guitar chords in MIDI.

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

I did this for a song using tedious manual editing. I would love a way to do this automatically.

Doug
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've seen this feature in arpeggiators and chord generation tools. Before you do it "the hard way", do some searches. I bet you'll find more than one option that matches your platform.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You have Komplete Ultimate 14. SESSION GUITARIST – STRUMMED ACOUSTIC and the other SESSION GUITARIST guitars have patterns that incorporate up and down strums.

If you search for up and down strum in Kontakt, you'll find a number of 3rd party libraries that may giver you more control.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

This got me to wondering if DP's arpeggiator could be wrangled into doing a strum simulation. It does have an option to load a rhythmic pattern and a melodic pattern.

To get more nerdy, a person with a divided pickup could record some strummy stuff and convert to MIDI.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:41 pm You have Komplete Ultimate 14. SESSION GUITARIST – STRUMMED ACOUSTIC
Mike beat me to it!This is the way to go if you want to do it right.

If you just want to try it with MIDI, having an exact, predetermined length between each note may not give a very realistic result. The speed of a guitar strum, especially a down strum, can change over the time of the strum.. e.g. finishes slightly faster than it started out. You would probably get a much better result by playing it in from the keyboard. I have done that more than once, when working an idea and I don't want to break the flow in order to plug in a real guitar, or I have a part that the Komplete strummed acoustic, et al is not appropriate for.

Doing it with a mouse, I guess you could try Step Record, although probably not fast enough note values.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Wasn't there a hardware box years ago that you inserted inline between your MIDI controller and DAW (or sound module) that did something like this? I think it was called "Strummer" and was made by either Oberheim or Emu?? (I haven't tried to Google it yet.)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

James Steele wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:08 pm Wasn't there a hardware box years ago that you inserted inline between your MIDI controller and DAW (or sound module) that did something like this? I think it was called "Strummer" and was made by either Oberheim or Emu?? (I haven't tried to Google it yet.)
Yep, here it is:

https://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/strummer.php

Good Memory James!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Killahurts wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:57 am
James Steele wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:08 pm Wasn't there a hardware box years ago that you inserted inline between your MIDI controller and DAW (or sound module) that did something like this? I think it was called "Strummer" and was made by either Oberheim or Emu?? (I haven't tried to Google it yet.)
Yep, here it is:

https://www.vintagesynth.com/oberheim/strummer.php

Good Memory James!
There’s one on Reverb
https://reverb.com/item/69441362-oberh ... m-strummer
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
midilance

Post by midilance »

I love my NI Session Guitarist plugins. Maybe NI's developers might also be able to add these types of features to their plugins.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
SMS

Post by SMS »

Strum GS-2 works great for this. Haven’t tried session guitarist but I gather it’s a similarly implemented solution.

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/strum-gs-2/
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Strumming is such a complex and expressive way to chords (as is fingerpicking), There's all this dynamic shaping and damping and percussive smacking etc. Quite a project to simulate all that.

It would be kind of interesting to make a "strum gesture library". Perhaps NI already has this.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Killahurts wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:50 pm Mike beat me to it!This is the way to go if you want to do it right.
Just have to say: The real way to do it right is to hire a guitarist. :wink:
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:21 am Strumming is such a complex and expressive way to chords (as is fingerpicking), There's all this dynamic shaping and damping and percussive smacking etc. Quite a project to simulate all that.
This is why.

Brings me to a thought about composition and arrangement: Sometimes, having the tools dictate direction is cool. Sometimes, it is undesirable. Parts played by musicians help assure us the recording will reflect the composition, not the other way around.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

But to play devil's advocate....

In one scenario, let's say (hypothetically) we had a gtr to MIDI converter that did an effective job of capturing velocity and duration on the all 6 strings independently (a la divided pickup). And we captured, a reasonably complete selection of strumming gestures.

It could be kind of fascinating to hear non-guitar sounds strummed with kind of guitaristic gestures. It would be especially cool if the instrument (whatever it is) had some way of adapting to the upcoming strum business.