Hardware Monitoring Mix on M2

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Reeper_Lumish
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Hardware Monitoring Mix on M2

Post by Reeper_Lumish »

The M4 has a dial to adjust the hardware monitoring mix between the PC and microphone, but the M2 doesn't have that dial. Does that mean the M2 can't mix the hardware monitoring level, or does it just have to be done in software?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Hardware Monitoring Mix on M2

Post by mikehalloran »

There is no mixer in the M2/4/6, only the options to monitor your Out (to your DAW) are either mono or stereo with 1/3/5 panned L and 2/4/6 panned R.

Since there’s no Out/In blend/balance/mix knob on the M2, you use the Monitor switch to set up the basics. Normally, your Out to your DAW is mono while tracking and your In from the DAW will be set up there, either Stereo or Mono depending on how you are monitoring your tracks.

https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/usb- ... _Guide.pdf

The RTL (round trip latency) over USB 2 is so low that it is inaudible for most users if your buffer is set low enough.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Reeper_Lumish
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Reeper_Lumish »

So the monitor button on the M2 enables hardware monitoring. While hardware monitoring I can hear my microphone as well as my computer system sounds. Is there a way to adjust how much of each one I am hearing when doing this? I know the M4 and M6 have dials that do this.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

So the monitor button on the M2 enables hardware monitoring. While hardware monitoring I can hear my microphone as well as my computer system sounds..
Page 7 of the manual that I linked.
Is there a way to adjust how much of each one I am hearing when doing this?
Not in the M2. You set that up in your DAW on your computer. Not hard at all.
I know the M4 and M6 have dials that do this
Correct. It's more convenient.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Set up DP so overall playback level is controlled by a single fader. I do this with Auxes as follows:

In Bundles, set up the following Aux Buses: Master, Record and Monitor.
Add two Aux Tracks in DP: Master and Monitor.
Add an Audio Track in DP: Mix

All Audio and VI Outputs in DP are routed to Master Bus > Master Aux Track in DP Mixer.
Insert Mastering plugins here when mixing if desired. Do Not Insert Mastering Plugins with Look Ahead until you are done recording VIs; they will cause latency,

Master Aux Track Output > Record Bus

Record Bus > Mix Audio Track (to record mixes)

Record Bus > Monitor Bus (Input to Monitor Aux Track in DP mixer) which is routed to Interface (Speakers/Headhpones).

*. *. *

Set your Mic/Instrument input gain on your Interface to proper input level for recording and route to the desired Audio Track Input in DP (Input monitoring OFF in DP). generally, I suggest recording with peaks between -12 and -6dB.

Set your Speaker/Headphone Level using the output gain control on your interface so you are hearing your Mic/Instrument at a comfortable level..

Set your DP playback output level using the Monitor Track fader in DP to blend as desired with your Mic/Instrument.