Micro Lite no longer showing in Audio MIDI Setup

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
NealF
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Micro Lite no longer showing in Audio MIDI Setup

Post by NealF »

Out of the blue Micro lite is not sending usb info to my Mac Pro 2010.

It does receive MIDI from my controller. Red Led light up.

Now I was fooling around with the audio MIDI setup app and lost the micro lite or whatever was the main device that all the outboard synths were wired to. (I set this up so long ago I can't remember the details.)
So I don't remember how it was supposed to be set up. Yes, I did try another usb cable.

I refreshed the audio MIDI app several times. I thought in the past if things were all connected it would automatically find them. Not happening.

So none of my outboard synths are showing up in DP. I do have a seperate usb cable hooked up to my KeyLab 61 and it works, but it's not a good keyboard for piano playing.

Any ideas?
MacPro5,1 6-Core Intel Xeon, Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 12 MB
Memory: 32 GB. Mojave. DP 9 and Apogee Duet.
Deox22

Re: Micro Lite no longer showing in Audio MIDI Setup

Post by Deox22 »

Neal. Did you ever get yours working?

Back in August, I had TWO Microlites that were being used on my offline Windows 10 machine stop working over night. The PC was powered down and unplugged from AC because storms were expected in area. Both MOTUs were plugged in. Tried all the usual (unplug, driver reinstall, etc.) Tried them both with my offline MAC (Mojave)where they worked fine a few weeks before. Neither MOTUs are ever seen by either machine. Never show up in Widows device manager nor MAC Audio MIDI setup. Only the green power lite. Even tried them on a WIN10 laptop they were never used on. Nothing. For two identical devices to completely fail to operate with the exact same symptoms across multiple platforms bizarre. It's like the firmware Flash-PLCs in each unit got corrupted or erased. At a loss for why they are now both non operational, as a WAG, maybe there was lightning strike close by and for whatever reason out of all the gear I have, only these two devices were affected.
NealF

Post by NealF »

Hi Deox22.

Never got it working. I've asked MOTU if they have a repair service or if I just have to get a new device.
They said they want to talk with me over the phone to make sure everything was tried. Matt said it's very unusual for a MOTU device to break down.

I'm waiting to hear back on a phone appointment. I'll post what I find out.
Deox22

Post by Deox22 »

Many thanks for getting back to me so quickly!! Yes, I look forward to hearing what they have to say. I will probably need to talk to their support myself. I threw them on the shelf after trying everything I could think of and have been working with my MTP AV USB, but was doing another search to see if anyone else had similar issue when I came across your post.
NealF

Post by NealF »

You're welcome.

I've had MOTU software and hardware since the 80s. Hardware, later than that.
Always been very reliable. So I'm curious to see what they say. Should be sometime this week.
Deox22

Post by Deox22 »

Hi Neal. Did you ever get assistance from MOTU and did they have an explanation-fix for you?
NealF

Post by NealF »

Hi Deox.
I was thinking about this post just yesterday.

I haven't called them yet because I got involved in a big project that was more video than audio.
I do have them on my list and will try to get to them next week if they're not taking a holiday break.

I haven't forgotten. :)
NealF

Post by NealF »

Well, been trying to get them on the phone for 3 days. All I get is that all the slots have been taken.
I think it's probably holiday traffic.??

I'll keep trying. Gonna need this info soon.
uncle dunc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by uncle dunc »

This happens to me periodically on my 2010 Mac Pro OS 10.12. In the audio/MIDI setup app, my Micro Express is greyed out. I do a "new device" (can't remember the exact terminology) and re-drag the connections, matching the connections on the greyed out Micro Express. I also have to unplug and replug the usb cable every time my Mac Pro wakes up from sleep.
NealF

Post by NealF »

I think I tried that a while ago. Not sure.

I'll give it another go. If I can't get it started I'll try again to do a phone support next week.
Thanks.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

NealF wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:46 pm I think I tried that a while ago. Not sure.

I'll give it another go. If I can't get it started I'll try again to do a phone support next week.
Thanks.
When I spoke w/ Caleb a few days ago, he assured me that MOTU knows tricks to get supported MIDI boxes working over Sonoma and the Micro Lite is one of them. He says that there are occasional issues with the unit not seeing the driver even though it's installed properly and the Mac sees the unit (he verified both for me via screen share).

As I still have an unsupported MTP AV, he wasn't going to take the time to see if they worked for me — understandable and I have no problem with that. Since I had called in on another issue that was resolved, I appreciated the extra time he took to discuss this.

I had to get up early and go to the web site to schedule a call for the same day.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
NealF

Post by NealF »

Unfortunately, I'm on Mojave. Can't update any longer since I'm on a 2010 Mac Pro.
Still trying to free up some time to call again. For now I'm just using a PreSonus audio/MIDI interface. Only has one MIDI in, but it'll work in a pinch.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

NealF wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:22 am Unfortunately, I'm on Mojave. Can't update any longer since I'm on a 2010 Mac Pro.
Not completely true. You can update to Catalina:

https://dosdude1.com/catalina/

I never tried it with my MacPro myself, but apparently this has worked for a LOT of users. Don't know if you'll really gain much going to Catalina, however. It may be possible to upgrade beyond that, but I'm not certain. I know this particular Catalina update hack is supposed to be pretty solid, but as always YMMV... I assume no responsibility, etc... blah, blah, blah. :D
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
NealF

Post by NealF »

I'd be afraid to try it.
I've got so many plugins and use the Mac Pro for video as well.
Maybe one day I'll feel adventurous. :)