Using Multiple 896MK3 Hybrids

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Forrhouse
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Using Multiple 896MK3 Hybrids

Post by Forrhouse »

So, I have a question about using multiple 896MK3 Hybrids. I don't have time to test all this as I am having to pack and move again.

I read somewhere that you can only connect 2 896MK3 Hybrids via usb at one time. I'm not sure if this is regarding seeing multiple units as one unit. Example 1-16 i/o showing instead of 2 units showing 1-8 i/o each. . Does it have to do with the computers USB controller only being able to handle 2 at one time? It's interesting because I also read that if you are connecting via firewire than you can connect up to 3.

Does anybody know what the deal is?
Is there a way to connect 3x 896MK3 Hybrids via usb at one time?

I plan on using Windows 11 pro.

Eric
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Using Multiple 896MK3 Hybrids

Post by CharlzS »

One issue with switching to PC is there isn't a solid option to create an aggregate device like with the Mac. You can use ASIO4ALL to create an aggregate device, but problematic for reasons you'll understand when you try to work with it. If using DP on Windows you won't be able to select multiple devices in hardware setup either. You can connect all three of those via ADAT (one connected via USB, the other two connected to it via ADAT) to present a unified device under one CueMix console - check the manual and MOTU Knowledge Base. That would most likely be the way you'd want to connect those devices in Windows for the least amount of difficulty. Also, I'm not sure the windows drivers would support three units simultaneously connected via USB - that would be a question for MOTU tech support. Windows audio isn't nearly as accommodating (or forgiving) as the Mac when dealing with multiple devices.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The deal, as I recall, is that you run into timing issues with more than two units on a Mac unless you use an external clock. I presume the same is true for Widows.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Forrhouse

Post by Forrhouse »

This is very disappointing to say the least! Windows is making major changes coming beginning 2024 especially in regards to MIDI and the way it works. I am told it will include aggregate devices, etc. Why companies sabotage their devices is beyond me. I say sabotage because they build a great device and then limit some of the most important capabilities.
Connecting one via USB and connecting the other two to it via ADAT is not an option I like. I want all devices to show up and all analog I/O available. Not sure about DP as I haven't used it in years, need to upgrade mine, just can't afford to at the moment. Why MOTU wouldn't add the ability to be able to select multiple devices in hardware setup is beyond me.
You purchase these devices and it says you can use multiple devices at once. I remember reading that it was more than two, but until you actually buy the units and dig in to reading the manual you don't find out that you are limited to how the units can be connected and as to their functionality when multiple units are used together. This is false advertising in my book and upsetting. It's almost like they are playing with semantics. It's not lying that you can use multiple units, but were going to leave out that its not optimal; it's not the way one would normally assume, nor that functionality is limited when using multiple units.

I think I am just going to sell the 3 that I have and get something else.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

The USB +ADAT connections is not all that bad of connection option, limited to 48k but worth looking at. You can route the 8 channels of analog I/O on the ADAT units with the 8 stereo buses. Why you would want 24 outs is beyond me, so eliminating some of that would free up some of the onboard buses for something other. It's not MOTU's fault that the Windows environment is less than accommodating for multiple devices. You'll run into that issue regardless of the manufacturer.

Re Windows future commitment to MIDI, etc. - that will leave pretty much all legacy equipment in the past. Maybe or maybe not any or all manufacturers will update drivers to the new specs. You'd be rolling the dice on anything you purchased now.

If you decide to sell off the 896 units, take a look at the MOTU AVB interfaces. With your requirement for that much I/O, they are probably a good fit.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Forrhouse

Post by Forrhouse »

The reason I want 24 i/o is that I record 23 sequencer tracks minus vocals to 2" 24 track to get the tape compression then from the 24 track to disk. I do vocals to 2" tape then after they are finished to the sequencer. As standard track 24 to smpte.
I have been talking with the head guy overseeing the new MIDI implementation which, I am told, will include most if not all of the functions that I am looking for. I have even suggested several which are being considered. The way drivers work is supposedly not going to change. Now there could be hick ups created with any update, so who knows if any issues will pop up there. MIDI 2.0 will be backwards compatible. I want to record at 96k. The console I am using is 48 channel, 32 buss so plenty of room there. In addition they are working on the audio portion for windows 10 & 11 too. I have already suggested an option to create an aggregate device.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Master Clock, Word Clock etc., internal and external, has been around as long as MIDI. Like SMTPE, Master Clock can be used to phase lock multiple devices. MOTU Tech has at least 17 papers on this and all of the manuals discuss the various ways.

There are many ways to crack this nut and an inexpensive external Clock is one of them. The 896 can generate Master Clock as long as the connections are not digital audio, Otherwise, it can sync to Clock and SMTPE. Again, MOTU suggests that an external unit may be the preferred option when sync'ing 3 or more units to prevent drift. SMPTE can often be used instead. The MTP AV USB not only generates SMPTE, it can be used as an external Master Clock.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Forrhouse

Post by Forrhouse »

So, if I understand correctly, using an external master clock which will sync all 3 together and then plugging all three 896 MK3 hybrids in via USB will allow them all to show up in Windows and keep them in sync?
rickorick

Post by rickorick »

If you have a sync track why not just make 3 passes 2 8’s and a 7? It might take a little longer but it’s a lot easier than 23 at the same time. Make a test run with just a couple tracks. Experiment.
Used 2012 Mac Pro 3.33 6 Core 16g ram 10.8.5 DP 7.24