The AI Vocal "Processor" I REALLY Want...

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

The AI Vocal "Processor" I REALLY Want...

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

I'm reading about AI services that can or will soon be able to take my drab, boring recorded vocals and transform them to sound like they were sung by famous singers who have licensed their voices for this purpose. What I REALLY want is the ability to MORPH my vocals with the tone, style, and mannerisms of famous singers. So, maybe I dial up 45% of Nat King Cole on the "Phrasing style" knob, 20% of Elvis Presley on the "Swagger" knob, 40% of Josh Groban on the vibrato knob, 35% of Karen Carpenter on the "vocal tone" knob to REALLY make things interesting, and 50% of Barry Gibb on the "Falsetto" knob with an adjustable note range where it kicks in.

I can see a tool like this being really musically useful and producing great results. Theoretically, there MIGHT not be any legal issues, much like a sample that is transformed so much that it is unrecognizable. In reality, this is what every human singer does: He or she starts with the voice they were born with, then absorbs musical influences from the singers they hear. The final result is that each singer's voice is unique, yet also a "melting pot" of influences.

So I wonder when a processor like this will be available, or when I can hire an AI to create it for me? Or will I be creating the event which precipitates the END OF THE WORLD (AS WE KNOW IT) by asking an AI to make another AI? Similar to the concept that once a manufacturing robot is made which can build an exact replica of itself, it will reproduce ad infinitum, devouring all the resources of Earth and destroying the human race in the process. At least, we will have some REALLY COOL music to listen to while fighting the final battle against our robot/AI overlords..... :D

Doug
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: The AI Vocal "Processor" I REALLY Want...

Post by stubbsonic »

Fun post!

I was thinking at first it won't be a plugin, but rather a website you visit where you upload your dry vocal track, watch an unskippable car insurance ad, then download the processed one.

The dark twist is that your vocal, your song, is then absorbed into the collective slurry of stolen creative work that is the fodder for the AI's output.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Tidwells@aol.com

Ha! That's a scary thought: There may then be AI voices out there purposely trying to sound like me, which is NOT musical progress.... :rofl:

I want my vocals to sound LESS like me, not everyone else's vocals to sound MORE like me! :D

Doug
Tidwells@aol.com

On the other hand, if it's stealing my lyrical content, I might have a positive effect on the AI since I primarily write songs about Jesus. :lol:

Doug
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

That website already exists. I have to see if I can find the YouTube video for it as I don't remember where I saw it. I will look.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I think that W.S. Gilbert put it best when he wrote:
"When everyone is somebody—

Then no one's anybody,"
The Gondoliers 1889
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Here's one of the YouTube videos I found. I'd seen this one before. You upload a vocal track recorded by your or anyone... and it makes a vocal that sounds like a different singer: male or female. I don't think it has "famous" singers... but different types. Don't quit remember.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tidwells@aol.com

That website is heading in the right direction, but I want more control: the ability to combine characteristics from several models and vary their strength....

Doug
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:12 pm That website is heading in the right direction, but I want more control: the ability to combine characteristics from several models and vary their strength....
Baby steps. I want beer that tastes good with zero carbs and zero calories and I want it yesterday. It's a new technology. I'm sure it will eventually get there.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:46 pm
Tidwells@aol.com wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:12 pm That website is heading in the right direction, but I want more control: the ability to combine characteristics from several models and vary their strength....
Baby steps. I want beer that tastes good with zero carbs and zero calories and I want it yesterday. It's a new technology. I'm sure it will eventually get there.
It's the water, and (not) a lot more.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I want water that tastes good, zero carbs, zero calories, but I mostly want it today and tomorrow.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:11 pmIt's the water, and (not) a lot more.
Oh my gosh... talk about the staying power of a jingle! The melody immediately leapt into my brain! Only I can't remember the brand of beer! Was it Olympia? I'm blanking!

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:09 pm
HCMarkus wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:11 pmIt's the water, and (not) a lot more.
Oh my gosh... talk about the staying power of a jingle! The melody immediately leapt into my brain! Only I can't remember the brand of beer! Was it Olympia? I'm blanking!
I"m thinking Coors, but not with certainty.

So, checked Google... James Steele, you are a WINNER!