Microbook IIc + Mac + Logic

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
readyfreddy
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Microbook IIc + Mac + Logic

Post by readyfreddy »

I've installed the software, hooked up the Microbook IIc hardware, and run Logic on my Mac laptop (a newish M1 Mac). I create a new track and I can see signal on the meter, but I can't monitor it. So, I read some more and found that I need to hit the monitoring button on that track. When I do that I can hear my track monitored, but when I hit play or record, I can hear all other tracks in Logic fine but I can no longer hear the record-enabled/monitor-enabled track.

I've used MOTU interfaces for decades now and have never had this issue on other interfaces. I also never had to enable monitoring before. It always "just worked". Anyone know what's going wrong for me here?
mikehalloran

Re: Microbook IIc + Mac + Logic

Post by mikehalloran »

I believe your problem is to be found in Logic. I don’t use it much so I never remember what exactly has to happen other than I have talked my users through this a few times. The brand of interface never matters.

I am not at my Mac at the moment or I would post some screen shots of an ideal setup.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
readyfreddy

Post by readyfreddy »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:51 pm I believe your problem is to be found in Logic. I don’t use it much so I never remember what exactly has to happen other than I have talked my users through this a few times. The brand of interface never matters.

I am not at my Mac at the moment or I would post some screen shots of an ideal setup.
I believe you, but even without Logic running, I should be able to hear my guitar through headphones on the Microbook IIc, no? I can do that with my older MOTU FW interfaces just fine. I don't care about monitoring through Logic's signal chain. I just want to hear the instrument raw from input-to-headphone while I record.

Also, as far as I can tell CueMix FX does nothing. The app launches, but no windows. Device menu empty. MOTU Audio Setup has almost nothing, save a checkbox for a footpedal (?)

This has been a disappointing experience for a MOTU device.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The problem, as you describe it, appears to me as a Logic issue. Since just about every Logic user I know goes through the same thing, I still think that's the case.

Otherwise, here is the Microbook manual. I would start with page 28.
https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/firew ... _Guide.pdf

Lots we don't know. Have you downloaded and installed the MOTU drivers? I believe that's required for CueMix to be fully functional.
Note: macOS 11+ drivers support Apple silicon and Intel-based Macs.

Driver Supports
MOTU Audio Installer
Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021
macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11
You should still be able to monitor Logic properly through Core Audio without CueMix. As you wrote:
So, I read some more and found that I need to hit the monitoring button on that track. When I do that I can hear my track monitored, but when I hit play or record, I can hear all other tracks in Logic fine but I can no longer hear the record-enabled/monitor-enabled track.
That can be any interface made by anyone and it points squarely to Logic. I'm guessing you've done this.
Logic Pro
In Logic Pro, go to the Preferences
window, click the Audio tab, click the
Drivers tab and click the Core Audio tab.
Choose the MOTU MicroBook from the
Output and Input device menus. For info
about the I/O Buffer Size setting, see
“Adjusting the audio I/O buffer” on
page 29
In Logic, you have Input Monitoring and Auto Input Monitoring and they are not the same. Again, I am not at my Mac but I'm pretty sure that's where your issue lies.

This page from Apple Support should help.
https://support.apple.com/en-euro/guide ... befa96/mac

The Logic Pro Users Guide can be found here but it must be viewed in Apple Books.
https://books.apple.com/book/id960809726
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
readyfreddy

Post by readyfreddy »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:29 pm Lots we don't know. Have you downloaded and installed the MOTU drivers? I believe that's required for CueMix to be fully functional.
Yes, it's the same installer as CueMix on this device.
Note: macOS 11+ drivers support Apple silicon and Intel-based Macs.

Driver Supports
MOTU Audio Installer
Mac v89555 | Oct. 13, 2021
macOS 13, macOS 12, macOS 11
Pretty sure driver works. Their apps, however, do not. (like CueMix)
You should still be able to monitor Logic properly through Core Audio without CueMix. As you wrote:
Exactly

I appreciate all of the feedback. I've managed to get this interface to work on an ancient Mac I have. There, I was able to run CueMix FX and switch the device to headphone mix, where everything was muted. I suspect it will now work properly with my newer M1 laptop. This doesn't explain why none of the MOTU apps work right on the laptop, but the issue was indeed NOT Logic. It was MOTU's app not running on the laptop. Once I got it running on an old machine, it started behaving as expected. I'm going to call this "solved" and wait for my reply from MOTU support.

Thanks again!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Sure.

One of my Frequent Flyers called me this afternoon with the identical symptoms in Logic. He uses the least expensive Presonus one can buy over Core Audio—no frills, much like the MOTU M2. Like I, he doesn't use Logic enough to recall the setup. Im addition, he had a ProTools user who knew nothing about Logic "help" before he called me.

Anyway, I opened a Zoom screen share. Once I saw it, it was easy but until I did…

When I saw his screen, I told him what needed to be pressed and here's the result. The pink surround is the Playback track while the Record is circled in green. Works great (till next time, no doubt).
Attachments
Logic Pro Screenshot pink-playback green record.jpg
Logic Pro Screenshot pink-playback green record.jpg (845.13 KiB) Viewed 888 times