What are your favorite reverb plugins?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
davedempsey
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What are your favorite reverb plugins?

Post by davedempsey »

For guitars this is my favourite ‘verb:
http://www.zynaptiq.com/adaptiverb/
Lots of stuff and a recently acquired ability to stop buying
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I only recently heard about a hardware pedal from Neunaber called Illumine. It's based on similar algorithms from their "WET/W3T" products.

I have an Immerse MkII pedal. It's a nice sound-- weird UI, but kind of clever. Bends over backward to use the available knobs in a sensible way.

The Illumine adds more algorithms, a screen, deeper editing, MIDI and presets.

Not cheap.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

If you want the immersive reverb from hell, Plugin Boutique is offering Eventide Blackhole®
Otherworldly Reverb as Big as the Cosmos for $29

https://www.pluginboutique.com/products ... 54,42ZGX,1

Use Coupon – PBNovBlackhole
Valid until 18th November (23:59 PST)
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

If you'd asked me 6 months ago, I would have said my fave is Liquidsonics' 7th Heaven (Bricasti model), but on my jazz guitar album, I've actually replaced it with a little ProVerb (for room/early reflections) plus the ReLab 480XL. Also, UVI's SparkVerb is very useful and has a pretty light CPU hit.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

You might want to demo VSS4 HD. TC has a sale going on.

https://store.tcelectronic.com/
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Exoverb?

Post by cuttime »

I just got a code from Dear Reality to get Exoverb for $33. I have Exoverb Micro, and while I like it a lot, it is a CPU monster gobbler even on my Mac Studio. Much more than other convolution verbs I have, $33 isn't a bargain if I don't use it. Does anyone have any input on this?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
stubbsonic

Re: Exoverb?

Post by stubbsonic »

cuttime wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:54 pm I just got a code from Dear Reality to get Exoverb for $33. I have Exoverb Micro, and while I like it a lot, it is a CPU monster gobbler even on my Mac Studio. Much more than other convolution verbs I have, $33 isn't a bargain if I don't use it. Does anyone have any input on this?
Fog Convolver 2 is pretty nice. It's on sale now for $46. But if you already have convolution reverbs, you probably won't gain anything.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I've only now wrapped my head around the new features in AudioThing's Fog Convolver 2.0, and now they've updated to 2.2. Also, it is on sale for $39 (I'll post in the deals section, as well).

Seriously, for that price, and what it includes, for many people (especially reverb nerds) it would be a shame to miss it. And even if you don't use some of the features, it is a very friendly front-end with which to do convolution. They've expanded the included IR library as well.

stubbsonic

Saying goodbye the second time

Post by stubbsonic »

Decades ago, I bought a new Lexicon MPX-1, with grand visions about using its beautiful sounds and insane MIDI features to make some really amazing sounds. I used it some, liked the sounds. The UI is clever in ways, but mostly weird and clunky. I had stopped using it and sold it.

Years later, I bought a second hand one with similar delusions in mind. It's the only time I've second-guessed and re-bought a thing. I used it a few times, but mostly it sat. Time to sell it for the 2nd and last time.

Two things have allowed me to close the chapter. I have an FM3 with nice reverb, and I have convolution reverb options-- so even if I was to miss the "Lexicon Thing", I have some decent IR's of the PCM 90 and can feel pretty confident about giving this MPX-1 a life with a new user.

dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

This question is really dependent on what you're trying to do with it...and there are so many great reverbs out there now,...some with particular things they do well of course...Even some free ones that sound quite good. And honestly a lot of it is purely subjective and depends on the source material as well as the desired destination sound, etc.

So I think this question really. needs to be more specific otherwise everyone will just respond with the cool ones they are using and is working great for them in whatever they are doing, which may or may not apply to someone else in what they are doing. The whole question of algorithmic vs convolution is also a big fat "it depends". Algorithmic can be very nice and usually has more movement in the sound, but convolution can directly capture a room. its like sampled vs synthesized, which is better...another big fat "it depends".

I have literally dozens of reverbs on my system and I do end up in analysis paralysis a lot over it. I keep changing my mind about which sound I like, which has the easier way to work etc.. I do think that a lot more can be accomplished usually by just becoming expert and proficient in a smaller set of reverbs. It's hard on black friday to not get sucked into buying yet one more amazing sounding reverb...but in the end, I think it starts to be quite subjective. A lot of people are not expert enough to really manipulate existing reverb tools to their own agenda, so I think a lot of people will gravitate to something that they plugin in and it sounds great right away with minimal tweaking. A more manipulative reverb plugin probably has a much wider sonic palette, but that can mean a wider range of undesirable sounds just as much as it means you can dial in exactly what you want if you know what you're doing. So sometimes if you find a reverb that sounds the way you want with minimal fuss...why not use it? I agree, its like finding the perfect oboe sample library, but you will end up trying out a lot of them and sometimes it still won't quite sit right with the rest of whatever you're doing..
Last edited by dewdman42 on Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Excellent. Thanks for that.

As an aside, I bought a library of Lexicon PCM 90 IR's from a company called Audiosteps.

I'm not sure why, but all the captures were at a very low level-- almost inaudible. They provided folders with normalized versions. Supposedly all were recorded at 32-float, but it makes me wonder what goes through someone's mind when their level meter says -70 dB and they don't touch a knob. Were they even giving the PCM 90 8 bits worth of level? Also, and perhaps related, I noticed quite a few chopped off tails, so the low levels may have affected their ability to trim appropriately.

pencilina

Post by pencilina »

I'm LOVING Fog Convolver 2. It does so much. It's great to take a mono convolution like a spring IR and feed it into a quick wide IR. Also, I've found the FC2's mic models incredibly useful for fast tone shaping especially on good mics with a flat broad response (414s for example). I got it a few weeks ago and each time I open it I seem to learn something new. The preset and IR loading system is a little convoluted :-) at first.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina