Gripe: "Wastin' Away Again in Rosettaville"

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Gripe: "Wastin' Away Again in Rosettaville"

Post by James Steele »

Wastin' away again in Rosettaville
Searchin' for my favorite plugins I lost
Some people claim that it's Apple to blame
But I know...
It's the developer's fault...

Sorry... just a rant. A while back I got a DT-TC2290 and DT-TC8210 on sale. Those are a delay and reverb plugin respectively and they come with these little cool hardware desktop controllers. I was suspicious when I got them pretty cheap on sale and wrote to TC and asked them about Apple Silicon. I was told, oh yeah, they're working on it.

So, I guess TC is now part of some big conglomerate and they have a slow as molasses online forum under the umbrella of "MusicTribe". See for yourself: https://community.musictribe.com/discus ... ic/124/129

What bothers me is absolutely no word on progress about Apple Silicon support. I get bombarded with emails and Facebook ads touting their guitar pedals and the like (maybe that's where they're making their money), but their communication is abysmal. There's one rep on the forum who maybe poked his head up FIVE MONTHS ago to say that they're working on Apple Silicon and that they're in beta... should be soon or whatever... and then silence. Periodically I drop in to say "Well, it's been FIVE MONTHS. What's up?" No response.

I'm getting sick of these companies that can't even give us the slightest info and have more or less just stonewalled users on their online forums. TC used to be a pretty on the ball company and maybe the profit is all the the pedals now and the entity that took them over doesn't give a crap about plugins and Apple Silicon support. Dunno.

Lexicon/Harman is another example. There's a thread here:

https://proforums.harman.com/lexicon/di ... t3-support

I bought the PCM Native Reverb bundle some months ago, admittedly on a killer deal a Best Service. In that topic, their rep has said that, oh yes... they are working on native Apple Silicon support. But again precious little info... "nothing to see here"... and no info for months. I feel for the Lexicon/Harman rep as he more or less came out and said that he feels for the end users, and he's trying to impress up on higher ups that we want info, even vague info like "Last quarter of 2023" etc. but they won't give him anything to give to us.

Bottom line: my patience is wearing thin with these companies. Honestly, it's not the fact that they're late to the party with Apple Silicon support. What I really resent, is that they just ignore us and won't tell us crap!! That sort of disregard for the customer is what is making me seriously contemplate avoiding doing business with these developers that treated users with disdain... or simply ignored us.

Oh... and you can throw Boz Digital onto that big pile. Daily I'm getting emails trying to entice me to buy some new plugin while the products I previous bought are "Wastin' Away Again in Rosettaville." No info. No nothing.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Re: Gripe: "Wastin' Away Again in Rosettaville"

Post by mikehalloran »

You are likely preaching to the choir (in my case, the Choir Director).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:53 pm You are likely preaching to the choir (in my case, the Choir Director).
Haha... with apologies to Jimmy Buffet... I now have a first verse:

I was feelin' a bit low
So I went in my studio
And opened a project to work on a tune
But my favorite delay
Has turned up M.I.A.
All 'cause some programmer hasn't a clue

Searching for my favorite plugins I lost
But I know

To be continued... :D

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ahhh... now with a SECOND verse!

And now a second verse:

I was feelin' a bit low
So I went in my studio
And opened a project to work on a tune
But my favorite delay
Has turned up M.I.A.
All 'cause some programmer hasn't a clue

But I know
It's the developer's fault

So I was a good sport
Sent an email to support
"Could you please share why it's taking so long?"
They said it's in beta
You just gotta waita
But it's been two years -- this just feels so wrong

But I know
It's the developer's fault

stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

NICE!!

So, if someone was to search "TC electronics" and " DT-TC2290" and/or "DT-TC8210" and "Apple Silicon Compatibility" or "AS native" or "M1, M2 native" and they mind be directed here and can see that James has written a song about how TC devs are sans clues.

Well, we can only hope that both users and TC Electronics might find out about this thread about TC Electronics and Apple Silicon, and "AS Native" and M1 & M2 and the lack of an update that moves past Rosetta.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Breaking News: James Steele adds Poet Laureate to his list of personal achievements.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Will this be coming on iTunes?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
BobK

Post by BobK »

James Steele wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:58 pm Wastin' away again in Rosettaville
Searchin' for my favorite plugins I lost
But I know...
Love it!

My particular frustration is with Altiverb. There's been no update since you posted about it two months ago, James, and their last news update at their web site (which just said "we're working on it"), was March 27.

According to Mark's post (HCMarkus), in November 2022 they said they'd been working on a new version for two years. So now it's pushing three years. That's crazy.

Seems to me that something is amiss at Audio Ease. I wonder if they're trying to find a buyer.

If Altiverb goes away, or turns to subscription-ware, what are your favorite comparable reverbs, folks?
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:42 am Will this be coming on iTunes?
Haha! If it weren't for the licensing issues! I actually found a site where I can download the karaoke version (MINUS backing vocals, which is important in the choruses) and thought about it.

Can you tell I'm frustrated by the slow pace of some of these companies? It's only been a few fleeting moments in my life where I've pulled together the moolah and made a quantum jump onto the "bleeding edge" and got myself a new Mac (my M1 Max Mac Studio back in July 2022) and so I've rarely been in this situation. The majority of the time I've been trying to squeeze extra life out of whatever Mac I had at the time. You have to hand it to those old cheesegrater MacPros... they were and are great machines. I upgraded my MacPro4,1 8-core to a MacPro5,1 12-core, but took it as far as I could go. And if not for me getting a bad used metal-compatible graphics card (to run Mojave) that was prone to overheating... I might still be using my MacPro5,1. But I got so frustrated I just threw up my hands and decided it was time to do a major studio upgrade. The most painful aspect for me is understanding the damned AVB routing matrix... but that's another story.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:23 amIf Altiverb goes away, or turns to subscription-ware, what are your favorite comparable reverbs, folks?
Sounds like that might be a good topic elsewhere in the forum.

For me, I like a lot of the UA stuff, which is one of the reasons I don't regret purchasing the TB3 Satellite OCTO shortly after I bought my Mac Studio. I like their 480L and also Hitsville Reverb Chambers is great. The latter is available native as a UADx plug.

So many... I know LiquidSonics' Seventh Heaven and Tai Chi Lite get a lot of love. So many... I'm such a reverb hoarder... I have too many.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

BobK wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:23 amSeems to me that something is amiss at Audio Ease. I wonder if they're trying to find a buyer.
I hate to speculate, but if I ran a small independent music software company and I was getting on in years and thinking about how I'd like to kinda kick back and spend my golden years slamming kicking back sipping a cocktail by a resort swimming pool... well, I'd be looking around at the consolidation going on and would be very tempted to cash in my chips and exit with a big bank account. Pretty sure that's what the Plugin Alliance guy got to do not long ago.

I don't blame them anyway. The music software industry really is niche. When you deal with it everyday, you don't think of it as such. So I can't blame some for wanting to escape uncertainty/volatility of a niche market and retire comfortably when the opportunity may not come again.

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

James Steele wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:37 am You have to hand it to those old cheesegrater MacPros... they were and are great machines. I upgraded my MacPro4,1 8-core to a MacPro5,1 12-core, but took it as far as I could go.
A cheesegrater in Paradise... :sorry:
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
BobK

Post by BobK »

James Steele wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:42 amFor me, I like a lot of the UA stuff, which is one of the reasons I don't regret purchasing the TB3 Satellite OCTO shortly after I bought my Mac Studio. I like their 480L and also Hitsville Reverb Chambers is great. The latter is available native as a UADx plug.

So many... I know LiquidSonics' Seventh Heaven and Tai Chi Lite get a lot of love. So many... I'm such a reverb hoarder... I have too many.
Thanks for all this!

I hadn't heard of Seventh Heaven, and didn't know there were any Bricasti-based plugins. The entry-level version looks like a no-brainer!
James Steele wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:42 am I can't blame some for wanting to escape uncertainty/volatility of a niche market and retire comfortably when the opportunity may not come again.
Ditto. I get it. And if the new owners treat the customers as well as the original owners, no problem! (I'm not holding my breath, but one can hope...)
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.1.2
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 10.15.7
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:06 pm
James Steele wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:37 am You have to hand it to those old cheesegrater MacPros... they were and are great machines. I upgraded my MacPro4,1 8-core to a MacPro5,1 12-core, but took it as far as I could go.
A cheesegrater in Paradise... :sorry:
:rofl:

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I started a new topic about favorite reverbs here:

https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73406